Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My Warhawk is a 6-6 round pin, so more of a step up. I'd still pretty much echo what @Brsnstein says though. The extra thickness up front adds paddle power and stability but the nose is still very catch free and never feels like its in the way.

Despite being 6-6 and glassed a little heavier it is still fun in less than epic waves. Not a mushbuster of course but give it a pocket and off it goes.

I liked the Scarecrow. I had a few of them. I think the Warhawk is better. It is easier to surf and yet also feels more high performance to me. Like, it feels more energetic under foot and carves tighter in the pocket or something.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My Warhawk is a 6-6 round pin, so more of a step up. I'd still pretty much echo what @Brsnstein says though. The extra thickness up front adds paddle power and stability but the nose is still very catch free and never feels like its in the way.

Despite being 6-6 and glassed a little heavier it is still fun in less than epic waves. Not a mushbuster of course but give it a pocket and off it goes.

I liked the Scarecrow. I had a few of them. I think the Warhawk is better. It is easier to surf and yet also feels more high performance to me. Like, it feels more energetic under foot and carves tighter in the pocket or something.
Comparable to ghost?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
yeah that's what he claims. oh well when I eventually talk to him I won't go with a model name in mind. I'll let him decide but the warhawk sounds like what I want.

Reactions: Aruka

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
yeah that's what he claims. oh well when I eventually talk to him I won't go with a model name in mind. I'll let him decide but the warhawk sounds like what I want.
Just putting the finishing touches on a 6’1 in varial. Also a 6’0 GX and 5’8 FX. Already have a 5’10 Flare that was the catalyst for going with Tim. Stocked on the whole experience dialing in dims, wave types, etc.

Aruka- I’ve always been pretty adverse to width cause I it felt harder to go top to bottom easily but notice your boards are pretty wide given your weight. You ever wish your boards were narrower? Reason I ask is the Flare I have that’s magic is about .5” wider than reg dims but works so good. Maybe I should bump it up? Have the Warhawk now at 19.25 and the GX at 19.5. I think the extra width may help with glide on fat norcal waves.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Just putting the finishing touches on a 6’1 in varial. Also a 6’0 GX and 5’8 FX. Already have a 5’10 Flare that was the catalyst for going with Tim. Stocked on the whole experience dialing in dims, wave types, etc.

Aruka- I’ve always been pretty adverse to width cause I it felt harder to go top to bottom easily but notice your boards are pretty wide given your weight. You ever wish your boards were narrower? Reason I ask is the Flare I have that’s magic is about .5” wider than reg dims but works so good. Maybe I should bump it up? Have the Warhawk now at 19.25 and the GX at 19.5. I think the extra width may help with glide on fat norcal waves.
Yeah I'm not super heavy but I'm tall and I have size 12 feet so I have some leverage going for me. I definitely know the feeling of a board being too wide and hating it. Generally that isnt a problem for me on hpsb type boards that have low volume rails but more on alt craft and stubby type boards. Going wider was a gradual process. I remember thinking 18.75 was wide and my first 19 inch wide board was a big deal. I never went back though.

Tbh .25 or so of added width on a hpsb is not that impactful IMO. The overall outline is still narrow. You will feel it, for better or worse, but its not going to change the character of the board completely.

To me the fuller the overall outline of a board is, the more impactful changes in width are because its more actual volume being pushed out. If that makes any sense.

I think the Flare is designed to go a little wider with the way the bottom contours and overall design is.

Im not advocating one way or another, just rambling as I drink my 3rd cup of coffee.

I guess my advice would be if you want to add a little more width, just be conservative, you can always add a little more on your next order down the road. And dont add thickness or change the rest of your normal dims overly much at the same time.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
One thing to remember with tim is he takes your rail profile seriously. Don’t say you like them if you don’t.

He’ll be happy to tune them for you and graft them onto every subsequent order you place, regardless of center thickness.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA

What about that vs the Rusty Blackbird? I'm just starting to get into getting a real step up after the run of waves we had and my buckled board. It seems the Rusty is a good all around step-up, no?

Reactions: j_mac and Aruka

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
What about that vs the Rusty Blackbird? I'm just starting to get into getting a real step up after the run of waves we had and my buckled board. It seems the Rusty is a good all around step-up, no?
Like the blackbird a lot, but it is a bit more of a blade than advertised here

Reactions: j_mac

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
IIRC blackbird is widpoint center if not slightly aft. Slayer and slayer II are WPF.

blackbird considered an older step up compared to boards these days and a bit bladed compared to latest semi-gun offerings but at the time was seen a bit boaty OTR.

magic of the blackbird is in the entry. It’s a paddle beast when there is some currents/chop, imo.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
IIRC blackbird is widpoint center if not slightly aft. Slayer and slayer II are WPF.

blackbird considered an older step up compared to boards these days and a bit bladed compared to latest semi-gun offerings but at the time was seen a bit boaty OTR.

magic of the blackbird is in the entry. It’s a paddle beast when there is some currents/chop, imo.
Thanks! Since I got the name late takeoff king recently, I could use the earlier entry. Any other suggestions for an all around good first step-up. I'm looking for a 6'6" I think. My recent board that died was 5'10". I don't really surf critical waves, but I would take this to mainland to try and pull in on the point breaks earlier.

Reactions: j_mac