Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Just finalized my Flare Mod (as tim calls it) after riding my buddy's this morning.

All info pulled from my gx and fuse SBD model.

5'10" 20 2.56 with a tad bit less in the rail. Nose and tail block pulled in a wee bit. Slightly more nose rocker. V in the tail with accelerated rail rocker. 4/4/4 EPS/Epoxy.

Yee to the yew!
Nice
Did he talk you out of valerian?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
No but he said the stringerless crowd tend to like them and he started getting all technical with glass and carbon etc. for the premium I decided against it. If this were a replacement of a model I already had I might be more inclined.

he actually spoke highly of the foam
oh ok. is your EPS blank stringered then?

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Nice
Did he talk you out of valerian?
We spoke for a while when i picked mine up and said he liked it. Has been dialing in flex with glass schedules with Brett over the years, so he comfortable with how to build what he likes with it. What i love about vanerial is that I can get the spacmanchit while keeping the glassing in-house. That way the board builder can handle it end-to-end like a poly.

Oct 25, 2019
Maiden voyage on my Flare this a.m. It seemed like almost no adjustment was needed from riding my CI NB2 and HS Psych Germ. The board felt familiar, nice and quick. It was waist high (maybe a few CH waves) back-washy, but I got a decent little wrap in and felt like I could pretty much do anything I wanted if I wasn't coming off an injury.

Today was my third day back in the water since a grade II sprain on 3/19, so I'm not pushing anything too hard until there's no pain. I was wearing one of those lace-up supports (Med Spec ASO) on by back foot so things feel a little weird.

I ran Filipe Toledo larges, just because I didn't feel like pulling my Kolohe larges or MF larges out of my other boards and they felt great. The board has instantaneous speed which is the main thing I need at my local spot since the waves are typically really short.

One of the best first impressions I've had with a bort in quite a while. I'm stocked and can't wait to be back to 100% so I can actually throw it around a bit.
Would love to hear your thoughts in comparison to the NB2.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Would love to hear your thoughts in comparison to the NB2.
They're both Varial and roughly the same dimensions, but the NB2 is a 1/2" narrower (19 1/2"). My NB2 will be three years old this July and has been a favorite for waist to head high+.

I would say the Flare and the NB2 get up to speed equally well. I'm pretty front foot heavy when generating speed. The Flare is much smoother in transition, easier to initiate and complete roundhouses and seems to hold a rail better. The Flare feels quicker in tight backside top turns. I surfed bumpy waist to chest high crap this morning and was linking a couple respectable turns together.

The NB2 surfs a little more edgy, where there seems to be more unpredictability and that's pretty fun sometimes. They're both really solid borts for typical S. Cal beachies. The Flare surfs more refined IMO and foresee it getting more water time than the NB2 going forward.

Oct 25, 2019
They're both Varial and roughly the same dimensions, but the NB2 is a 1/2" narrower (19 1/2"). My NB2 will be three years old this July and has been a favorite for waist to head high+.

I would say the Flare and the NB2 get up to speed equally well. I'm pretty front foot heavy when generating speed. The Flare is much smoother in transition, easier to initiate and complete roundhouses and seems to hold a rail better. The Flare feels quicker in tight backside top turns. I surfed bumpy waist to chest high crap this morning and was linking a couple respectable turns together.

The NB2 surfs a little more edgy, where there seems to be more unpredictability and that's pretty fun sometimes. They're both really solid borts for typical S. Cal beachies. The Flare surfs more refined IMO and foresee it getting more water time than the NB2 going forward.
Awesome. Thanks.

Your take on the NB2 is very similar to mine. Love the board in small shifty stuff but find it a little wild once the surf gets a bit more serious.

Sounds like Flare is still fun but more refined.

Reactions: ChaseTMP