Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I would imagine that Tim is glassing. GWS said Varial is a pain to cut varial for a bunch of reasons. I wonder if they’re cutting for shapers to make it more appealing.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I would imagine that Tim is glassing. GWS said Varial is a pain to cut varial for a bunch of reasons. I wonder if they’re cutting for shapers to make it more appealing.
so that would just be a varial blank with a traditional poly lamination?

have always wondered if the infused version was only from Ventura and select spots with the right setup.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I think I remember them saying they will pick up boards from shapers to do infusion glassing if it’s requested.

Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
so that would just be a varial blank with a traditional poly lamination?

have always wondered if the infused version was only from Ventura and select spots with the right setup.
Not sure. That seems like a lot of back and forth if Varial is cutting, going to the shaper to finish, then back to Varial for vacuum bagging, then back to shaper.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
http://instagr.am/p/CMlCiFYM4aE/ These fx‘s look like a good time for average surf with the wider nose and tail. Any of you guys have one or checked one out in person?
I had a custom round tail FX years ago. It was a good time. Good low end but not so flat that it would get overwhelmed by a decent wave. For the design think I should have just stuck with the default squash tail.

Flare are also a great, versatile design as many on here will tell you.

Reactions: Havoc and toowalled
Nov 17, 2007
also fx vs flare? or just go wtf for small stuff? want to shred small gravel longboard waves when the wfhers misread the forecast
I’ve never had a fx but I’ve owned 3 wtfs and quite a few flares over the years. If you want a board that flys in anything chest high below/mushy small surf get the wtf. The flare also rips but the wtf is a must have in my opinion

Reactions: Havoc and JDJ

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Flare is a weekend warrior friendly short board. It grovels, but you have to surf it right to grovel.

I rode mine knee to shoulder but eventually stopped riding it in the smaller stuff bc COVID crowds, mid length revolution and that sort of thing.

Reactions: CutnSnip and Aruka

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Flare is a weekend warrior friendly short board. It grovels, but you have to surf it right to grovel.

I rode mine knee to shoulder but eventually stopped riding it in the smaller stuff bc COVID crowds, mid length revolution and that sort of thing.
ya. i've had a few flares. mine were always undersized imho. figured an fx would have better low end range. yeah, covid crowds pretty much fked shortboar surging. i still wanna get my shred one while i still can.