Things ifallalot and I Agree On

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I don't know anything about this. Real estate is a great investment though, of course

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I wasn’t engaged in owners discussions, just the alleged impact on prices due to investors.

I see no difference between sfd, townhomes, duplexes or large scale apartments. They’re all just places to live.
I think the point is they are not *just* places to live anymore. If they were only that, we'd not be having this discussion.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
one thing is certain - Elon's solar roof tech and batteries will save homeowners thousands of dollars per year.
I will give you that one, I am sure if i actually researched the issue I could pee on your parade, but superficially he deserves some credit. You should check out the Behind the Bastards podcast on your hero.

• Dislike
Reactions: ElOgro

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Capitalist slumlord says what?

afoaf’s post went right over your head. He is clearly saying that you and your ilk are bad people. You fixated on my post with no comment about his.

ps, I’m not your granddaddy so your post is a lie.
Alzheimers, pain pills or just the mind of petty nasty child?

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
....sort of

ban all foreigners from owning residential property in the united state or at least require extremely steep costs to purchase

(I think there should be tax penalties for people who own multiple properties as well.....I'm looking at you Grape Trump!)

the US housing market has become a store of wealth for the rest of the planet, inflating prices at the expense of Americans who just want to buy a goddamned house

Extremely steep costs shouldn't even be an option. No citizenship, no ownership

Hardcore libertarians and Ancaps definitely disagree on this, because they are stupid

There is no reason to pay taxes and be part of a sovereign nation if non-citizens are allowed to own parts of it

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Point taken if you’re talking about farmland. Otherwise, lol. Saudi Arabia owns our largest oil refinery but how dare they buy a house!
Texas tried a law like this and excluded the Saudis, money is everything to Republicans.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
It strikes me that most of the people who want to ban foreign owners so it’ll be easier for some people to buy a home were crying about Biden changing the loan fee structure in an attempt to make houses more affordable for some people.
I am not against someone foreign owning a home they live in while on their visa. No problem at all. I am more concerned with foreign investments in homes as income producing/growth assets, speculation is the problem. Homes are no longer just homes, they've become financial products.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I am not against someone foreign owning a home they live in while on their visa. No problem at all. I am more concerned with foreign investments in homes as income producing/growth assets, speculation is the problem. Homes are no longer just homes, they've become financial products.
They’ve always been financial products.

Apartments, duplexes, condos, time shares. All investments too. someone has always owned that place you rent in Mammoth. Someone has always owned the vrbo you love in Maui. The condo in Palm Springs. The only difference now is that investors have figured out what mom and pop owners have always known - cash flow is king.

and to be clear it’s not speculation. Speculation caused the bubble in 2008. Investment firms have clear financial requirements and purchase homes that support their return requirements. They underwrite purchases far more thoroughly than most standard buyers.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
They’ve always been financial products.

Apartments, duplexes, condos, time shares. All investments too. someone has always owned that place you rent in Mammoth. Someone has always owned the vrbo you love in Maui. The condo in Palm Springs. The only difference now is that investors have figured out what mom and pop owners have always known - cash flow is king.

and to be clear it’s not speculation. Speculation caused the bubble in 2008. Investment firms have clear financial requirements and purchase homes that support their return requirements. They underwrite purchases far more thoroughly than most standard buyers.
Only since vrbo (and AirBNB, et. al.) have existed, which isn't very long. Before the internet you had to know someone who knew someone, I am old enough to remember this. It was different.

Investment firms had "clear financial requirements and purchase homes that support their return requirements" and underwrote "far more thoroughly" before the 2008 crash, and yet it still happened.

Cash flow being seen as king is a major difference though, right? Houses weren't always seen as cash flow opportunities by the financial industry. They are now. That's a big change. Yes banks made loans, but that was it. There's a difference between a bank and a financial institution. Seems that line is becoming more blurred lately though.

Reactions: afoaf

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Imagine how low prices would have fallen in 2009 had investors not been there to purchase excess inventory.
Too bad so sad
It strikes me that most of the people who want to ban foreign owners so it’ll be easier for some people to buy a home were crying about Biden changing the loan fee structure in an attempt to make houses more affordable for some people.
at the cost of other Americans. That’s the distinction here

how does it feel to always be on the wrong side of every argument?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Only since vrbo (and AirBNB, et. al.) have existed, which isn't very long. Before the internet you had to know someone who knew someone, I am old enough to remember this. It was different.

Investment firms had "clear financial requirements and purchase homes that support their return requirements" and underwrote "far more thoroughly" before the 2008 crash, and yet it still happened.

Cash flow being seen as king is a major difference though, right? Houses weren't always seen as cash flow opportunities by the financial industry. They are now. That's a big change. Yes banks made loans, but that was it. There's a difference between a bank and a financial institution. Seems that line is becoming more blurred lately though.
REITs have been around for a long time. They are basically stocks based on large management companies buying up homes and renting them. The cash flow is what pays the dividend.