Things ifallalot and I Agree On

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
....sort of

ban all foreigners from owning residential property in the united state or at least require extremely steep costs to purchase

(I think there should be tax penalties for people who own multiple properties as well.....I'm looking at you Grape Trump!)

the US housing market has become a store of wealth for the rest of the planet, inflating prices at the expense of Americans who just want to buy a goddamned house

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
....sort of

ban all foreigners from owning residential property in the united state or at least require extremely steep costs to purchase

(I think there should be tax penalties for people who own multiple properties as well.....I'm looking at you Grape Trump!)

the US housing market has become a store of wealth for the rest of the planet, inflating prices at the expense of Americans who just want to buy a goddamned house
I would add the banning of investment funds holding residential properties.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
....sort of

To be fair, you should be looking at @hal9000 and @plasticbertrand too.

Why do those two assholes get a pass?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
So much for free market capitalism.

what’s the long term goal of rules like this?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
So much for free market capitalism.

what’s the long term goal of rules like this?
Sometimes I find your questions irksome. We just had an argument about this like last week. How can someone who read the posts and graduated 4th grade not understand what the long term goal of this would be?

Do you really not understand what the long term goal is? Is this some sort of rhetorical technique? Is this some sort of linguistic performance art? Do you foil G-10 fins and shape surfboards with release across all planar vectors?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Sometimes I find your questions irksome. We just had an argument about this like last week. How can someone who read the posts and graduated 4th grade not understand what the long term goal of this would be?

Do you really not understand what the long term goal is? Is this some sort of rhetorical technique? Is this some sort of linguistic performance art? Do you foil G-10 fins and shape surfboards with release across all planar vectors?
All you’re doing is taking buyers out of the market artificially.

What that will do in the short term is lower the value of real estate everywhere. That includes your home and my home.

in the long run, the market will adjust. Fewer new homes will be built. Eventually we’ll end up exactly where we are.

Look at Australia if you need proof.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
All you’re doing is taking buyers out of the market artificially.

What that will do in the short term is lower the value of real estate everywhere. That includes your home and my home.

in the long run, the market will adjust. Fewer new homes will be built. Eventually we’ll end up exactly where we are.

Look at Australia if you need proof.
We at Sharkbiscuit thank you kindly for bro'ing it out.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

And what about apartments? Who can own those?
And what about companies now building complete sfd rental communities?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
And what about apartments? Who can own those?
And what about companies now building complete sfd rental communities?
Hitler. Nazis.
Corporate gulags.

You (and grapedrink) and I had this one last week. Or maybe the week before? I think we more or less reached an impasse. I felt like I was clear that the property tax for non homestead-exempted properties could be increased vs a total ban on foreign ownership, or other policies.

Although our prior back-and-forth might indicate otherwise, I'm not that emotionally or intellectually invested on this topic. Until someone shows me a quality-of-life bird in a cage they're going to hand me, I'm not in a hurry to leave my current setup. Although working from the Carib in Winter and Maritimes in Summer sounds appealing.

I feel differently about apartments and building sfd rental communities from scratch than I do the ownership of non-exempted standalone single family homes as monthly recurring revenue vehicle.

I jumped your post in this thread because I thought you were being pointlessly difficult with afoaf - a far more serious infraction than disagreeing with me on some specific flavor of policy affecting home ownership.

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

Reactions: Aruka

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Hitler. Nazis.
Corporate gulags.

You (and grapedrink) and I had this one last week. Or maybe the week before? I think we more or less reached an impasse. I felt like I was clear that the property tax for non homestead-exempted properties could be increased vs a total ban on foreign ownership, or other policies.

Although our prior back-and-forth might indicate otherwise, I'm not that emotionally or intellectually invested on this topic. Until someone shows me a quality-of-life bird in a cage they're going to hand me, I'm not in a hurry to leave my current setup. Although working from the Carib in Winter and Maritimes in Summer sounds appealing.

I feel differently about apartments and building sfd rental communities from scratch than I do the ownership of non-exempted standalone single family homes as monthly recurring revenue vehicle.

I jumped your post in this thread because I thought you were being pointlessly difficult with afoaf - a far more serious infraction than disagreeing with me on some specific flavor of policy affecting home ownership.

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.
I wasn’t engaged in owners discussions, just the alleged impact on prices due to investors.

I see no difference between sfd, townhomes, duplexes or large scale apartments. They’re all just places to live.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
TBH have not really thought it thought it through. Just large companies holding properties as investments is warping COL vs wages.
Imagine how low prices would have fallen in 2009 had investors not been there to purchase excess inventory.

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Imagine how low prices would have fallen in 2009 had investors not been there to purchase excess inventory.
It is a complicated issue, no doubt. Do you share my concerns RE COL Vs Wages? Any ideas to address it?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Go ahead, the cost will simply get passed on the renter and decrease inventory overall because there will be less incentive to add new units. There are tax benefits in real estate because the government wants to incentivize that sort of economic activity.

As for foreigners, I’d be fine with that with countries like China where there are capital flow restrictions and investment constraints. It needs to be a 2 way street.