"These six cities are emerging as new ex-pat hot spots"

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Too bad you don’t remember the source.

Dormitorio is a bedroom. That doesn’t mean a one room house. It means a house with one bedroom. The types of construction listed didn’t include barrique (lath and mud) that’s traditional construction here for the poor people.

I was interviewed in both of the surveys as well as others when I lived in town.

For every Ixtapa there are hundreds of ranchos like El Roble. Probably thousands. It’s a poor rural state. I’ve lived here 27 years, I have a good idea what it’s like and how people live from top to bottom. I have friends that live in both the highest and lowest specters.
Sorry I read cuarto.

You're really hung up on that photo.

I don't know why you think I'm trying to deceptive.

It's not like those sorts of conditions aren't prevalent in much of Latin America, including Mexico.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Sorry I read cuarto.

You're really hung up on that photo.

I don't know why you think I'm trying to deceptive.

It's not like those sorts of conditions aren't prevalent in much of Latin America, including Mexico.
You were looking for shock value with the photo. I’m not shocked. The location is relevant. WRT prevalence of the conditions in the photo, you’d know more than me.

Tell us about the expat lifestyle in the DF.

• Dislike
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You were looking for shock value with the photo. I’m not shocked. The location is relevant. WRT prevalence of the conditions in the photo, you’d know more than me.

Tell us about the expat lifestyle in the DF.
-Enjoy a cafecito con canela at the local cafe while drumming away at my laptop doing “work” while surrounded by likeminded digital nomads
-Hot Yoga with Snack Daddy in the afternoon
-Beef Stroganoff with a bit of mexican Dyson flare for dinner (but not too Spicy)
-Retire to my AirBnb in the evening that costs the same as an upscale downtown loft in St Louis without speaking a lick of Spanish all day

IOW, Assimilate or GTFO :beer:

• Love
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
-Enjoy a cafecito con canela at the local cafe while drumming away at my laptop doing “work” while surrounded by likeminded digital nomads
-Hot Yoga with Snack Daddy in the afternoon
-Beef Stroganoff with a bit of mexican Dyson flare for dinner (but not too Spicy)
-Retire to my AirBnb in the evening that costs the same as an upscale downtown loft in St Louis without speaking a lick of Spanish all day

IOW, Assimilate or GTFO :beer:
You forgot "Make plans with your new gringo expat friends to spend a week in Trocones taking surf lessons."

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Was checking out Somalia - apparently Mogadishu is experiencing a real estate boom, with locals being priced out of the market.

Could be interesting:shrug:

View attachment 136208
Somalia?

But, yes, I'm pretty sure you can get some cheap real estate there; not by Somali standards, of course.

Go for it. But get your estate plan in order first.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
surfed all day maybe 20 real tubes
bintangs now bcue fish
sure your day was similar lifeonfalsereality
surfing the same wave repeatedly in a shitty location gets boring, been to your new home base once and would never go back

Spent months at a time in Jbay, a much better and longer wave. After a year in totality both in Indo and ZA, I'd only go back for Supers and the Ments.

I don't drink beer or any alcohol regularly, there's no need to escape the boredom of sitting around trying to pass the time waiting for waves. Luckily I have other interests to keep my mind and body active.

Life is much better here in Oz, it's an undeniable fact. Just remember every day is one closer to the end, make the best of what you have left.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Somalia?

But, yes, I'm pretty sure you can get some cheap real estate there; not by Somali standards, of course.

Go for it. But get your estate plan in order first.

Sounds like a great place to be an ex-pat, cheap land and all that :roflmao:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/19/africa/hotel-explosions-mogadishu-somalia-intl/index.html

Mogadishu, Somalia (CNN)At least 15 people have been killed after unidentified gunmen stormed an upscale hotel in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, on Friday evening, officials said, following gunfire and large explosions in the area.
Ahmed Abdi, a doctor at Madina Hospital, said that the death toll was likely to rise and many victims were in critical condition. Madina is one of the two major hospitals in Mogadishu where most of the victims from Hayat Hotel attack were admitted to.
The hospital is still receiving bodies and more wounded people, Abdi said.
Police Major Farah Hussein confirmed to CNN that Somali security forces had enter the Hayat Hotel building and regained most of the control from gunmen. The area is frequented by lawmakers and government officials.

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
surfing the same wave repeatedly in a shitty location gets boring, been to your new home base once and would never go back

Spent months at a time in Jbay, a much better and longer wave. After a year in totality both in Indo and ZA, I'd only go back for Supers and the Ments.

I don't drink beer or any alcohol regularly, there's no need to escape the boredom of sitting around trying to pass the time waiting for waves. Luckily I have other interests to keep my mind and body active.

Life is much better here in Oz, it's an undeniable fact. Just remember every day is one closer to the end, make the best of what you have left.
but you dont surf

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
You’re arguing with a guy that thinks not following through with a promised donation for kids is some kind of win for him in a silly internet debate.
look idiot, boxed the leashes up with your name and address on them. Was packing for Portugal and forgot to mail them out before leaving for a month. We know you don't surf much in NY, there's hardly any waves and you live on the Long Island Sound.
but you dont surf
Had more good waves this lifetime than many ever will, when you develop other interests besides surfing the same ol right handed tube repeatedly life becomes much more enjoyable. To me QOL is much more important than quality and consistency of surf, would have stayed in HI if all I wanted to do was surf everyday. Nias will never be a good place to spend a life, it's quite simple really. Good run of swell coming this week to the local region, I get it when the getting is good. Hope you enjoy what's left of your existence in this earth :waving:

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
look idiot, boxed the leashes up with your name and address on them. Was packing for Portugal and forgot to mail them out before leaving for a month. We know you don't surf much in NY, there's hardly any waves and you live on the Long Island Sound.
and when I hurt your feelings over a silly little internet debate you thought it was an insult to me that you didn’t keep your word with a donation.

you’re just a miserable dirtbag.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002

Had more good waves this lifetime than many ever will, when you develop other interests besides surfing the same ol right handed tube repeatedly life becomes much more enjoyable. To me QOL is much more important than quality and consistency of surf, would have stayed in HI if all I wanted to do was surf everyday. Nias will never be a good place to spend a life, it's quite simple really. Good run of swell coming this week to the local region, I get it when the getting is good. Hope you enjoy what's left of your existence in this earth :waving:
but you dont surf

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
and when I hurt your feelings over a silly little internet debate you thought it was an insult to me that you didn’t keep your word with a donation.

you’re just a miserable dirtbag.
even if I had "feelings" you would't be able to hurt them. insult to you? like I need a forgotten donation to do that :monkey:
maybe you wouldn't be so sensitive if you got in or on the water more often, maybe try an SUP for the lake that is your backyard?

but you dont surf
I surf plenty and spend most of the year in highly developed world surroundings, it's better this way. Much more to life than sitting back waiting for waves and swilling beer while sweating it out near the equator. Out for a surf this afternoon so we'll continue this at a later date.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I wonder if the expats in Rio, Mexico City, Bengalore go on Nextdoor and IG to bitch about the homeless/poverty problems in their new cities, or do they just talk about how bad their cities got and that's why they left?