"These six cities are emerging as new ex-pat hot spots"

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
That's because you weren't raised right.
It's just not something I would go out of my way to consume

Used to eat salmon regularly but now just take fish oil and eat red meat

Sardines packed in oil on top of a salad are decent too

Shellfish is nice but not something I purchase to prepare personally

You can keep all the whitefish bullshit, I ain't interested

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Obviously.

Personally I was disappointed Zimbabwe did not make the list.

7 bedrooms and a borehole in Harare, all for $1500/month...just to hold hold you over while you build the estate of your dreams.

I am told downtown Harare is quite hip, lots of millionaires running around, with a gritty side reminiscent of the Tenderloin - but with African flair. :)
African destinations don’t make the list because in most of Africa it’s more expensive to live there if you want US or Euro standard quality of life, housing and amenities. Anything manufactured elsewhere takes much longer to get there. If you need to buy a new washer/dryer, TV, your favorite whiskey etc you will pay far more in an African country than you would just about everywhere else. Getting to/from and within Africa is pricey too. South Africa is one of the few places in Africa that could qualify for this type of list.

Now if you can live like a local, it can be be very cheap :toilet:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don’t think I did? Most expats in developing world countries live pretty damn well compared to the local residents.

“for a small portion of the population while a large percentage of the rest of the population is getting absolutely crapped on.”
Yes.

And if anything they generally improve the living conditions of the local population, at least on a superficial level.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Now if you can live like a local, it can be be very cheap :toilet:
Was checking out Somalia - apparently Mogadishu is experiencing a real estate boom, with locals being priced out of the market.

Could be interesting:shrug:

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 7.49.48 AM.png

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
No, but I can see stuff pretty close in San Lucas.
He didn’t go. That was my point.

You’ll see that more in places that had major Fonatur development, Cancun is an excellent example. People tend to gravitate towards development for opportunity.

• Dislike
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Santa Ana River - Orange County? Before you @ssholes post lame comments about conditions in 3rd world countries .... maybe you should take a look at conditions in "Murica" ... start with the city streets of San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, the Santa Ana River in Orange County ..... then take a look at Chicago, New York and Philadelphia. I would bet most of you reading this probably don't have a f*cking clue because you've never traveled outside the country for any length of time much less the county that you live in. You are quick to point the finger and criticize conditions in other countries but turn a blind eye to similar conditions in your own country that you most likely drive by on a daily basis. F*cking hypocrites all - you know who you are ... look in the mirror and take your MAGA - Republican - Conservative - Religious sh!t and shove it up your @as and STFU. Chew on that M*'f*CKERS!
I agree that Americans ignore things in our own backyards that we criticize other countries for, but I haven't seen any connection between political party loyalty and that hypocrisy.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Was checking out Somalia - apparently Mogadishu is experiencing a real estate boom, with locals being priced out of the market.

View attachment 136208
My dad said there was the best looking prositutes in all of Africa.

Surf too

But sharks

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
Mexico also ranked as one of the best places to own pets.
That's because you don't have to register your pet with the city.
Santa Ana River - Orange County? Before you @ssholes post lame comments about conditions in 3rd world countries .... maybe you should take a look at conditions in "Murica" ... start with the city streets of San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, the Santa Ana River in Orange County ..... then take a look at Chicago, New York and Philadelphia. I would bet most of you reading this probably don't have a f*cking clue because you've never traveled outside the country for any length of time much less the county that you live in. You are quick to point the finger and criticize conditions in other countries but turn a blind eye to similar conditions in your own country that you most likely drive by on a daily basis. F*cking hypocrites all - you know who you are ... look in the mirror and take your MAGA - Republican - Conservative - Religious sh!t and shove it up your @as and STFU. Chew on that M*'f*CKERS!
As an admitted centrist I'd like to point out the irony that the majority of the cities you mentioned/compared to 3rd world countries are democratic strongholds, then you had the gall to insult conservatives.

Reactions: keenfish

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

View attachment 136208

Friend at university that I still keep in touch with was born in Somalia but her family packed it up in the 70s and fled.

She ended up in Canada with mom and dad while older brother and sister went to Djibouti...brother does petroleum engineering related projects, sister bank/finance work, same with my friend

Anyway, at some point in time asked her about one day getting back to Somalia.

She said that she'd likely never go back, saying something along the lines of "We left because all the intelligent people were being hunted down and killed. That sort of thing doesn't go away. My parents keep telling me how lucky we are to have been able to get out."

Edit:

Please note that she also once said something like "Our extended family or clan, was known as the educated class that ran a lot of govt functions." Guess that does make you a pretty big target if things aren't going so great for other people in their groups.

Reactions: Aruka

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
No pictures of stuff like in your post #8?
Nope, you can see that kind of stuff just sitting on the runway leaving TJ.

Or a couple of minutes drive across the border which I do on the regular.

As per Sr. Sopa, plenty of places in BCS as well, despite being one of the wealthiest states. Not as bad as up here though it seems.

I'm sure your aware of the poverty stats in your area as well.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Again

Where was that picture taken? Although I’ve seen stuff like that, and worse, it’s in no way representative.

I’m not aware of the poverty stats in my area, I am aware of how the people live.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Again
Where was that picture taken? Although I’ve seen stuff like that, and worse, it’s in no way representative.
I didn't take it. I don't remember the source.

I’m not aware of the poverty stats in my area, I am aware of how the people live.
2nd poorest state in Mex, >than 60% living in poverty, 1/3 of the population living in the USA.

Here's the stats on your state:

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 7.48.47 AM.png

That's according to the Mexican government. Most of the population with minimal access to healthcare, education etc. Poor living conditions in general.

According to this, around 45% of dwellings are one room, and only 50% have access to public sewage systems; less than 50% have running water:

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 8.20.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 8.20.39 AM.png

The poverty you see in places like Northern Baja is appalling, even to people who are familiar with poverty. (Unless your name is Fecal, who denied there is serious poverty in Baja.)

I have never been to your state but the numbers are quite a bit worse the Baja Norte. Whether they are true or false I don't know.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I didn't take it. I don't remember the source.

2nd poorest state in Mex, >than 60% living in poverty, 1/3 of the population living in the USA.

Here's the stats on your state:

View attachment 136290

That's according to the Mexican government. Most of the population with minimal access to healthcare, education etc. Poor living conditions in general.

According to this, around 45% of dwellings are one room, and only 50% have access to public sewage systems; less than 50% have running water:

View attachment 136291

View attachment 136292

The poverty you see in places like Northern Baja is appalling, even to people who are familiar with poverty. (Unless your name is Fecal, who denied there is serious poverty in Baja.)

I have never been to your state but the numbers are quite a bit worse the Baja Norte. Whether they are true or false I don't know.
Too bad you don’t remember the source.

Dormitorio is a bedroom. That doesn’t mean a one room house. It means a house with one bedroom. The types of construction listed didn’t include barrique (lath and mud) that’s traditional construction here for the poor people.

I was interviewed in both of the surveys as well as others when I lived in town.

For every Ixtapa there are hundreds of ranchos like El Roble. Probably thousands. It’s a poor rural state. I’ve lived here 27 years, I have a good idea what it’s like and how people live from top to bottom. I have friends that live in both the highest and lowest specters.