The StormSurf guy just said this will be the worst Winter on record for surf !?!?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
East coast suffered through the worst September to December ever.

I'll take smaller clean peaky NW swell with some so hemi swell mixing in any day.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Those long points way up North like Cape Verde hurricanes and SSE southern hemis. Southern New England in August/September is probably warmer than the Canaries in mid-Winter.

I agree about the situation on the East Coast. If I could surf 3x/weekday between Big Sur and OBSF I'd be more inclined to leave.

But I can walk to work and walk to East Coast slop and I usually get to surf the slop up the street alone. I'm not entirely convinced LA/OC/SD would be an across-the-board improvement.

Of course it was good right after thanksgiving. I was in Indy instead of vero or better yet kauai
The Friday morning low tide with good winds was fun. However it was DONE by 9:30. After that it was marginal onshore South Brevard.

But Friday 2018 was good-good, good swell, offshores, blue skies for two days straight. I caught one wave that felt like a legit bomb. A little over head, and the paddling necessary to get over the ledge and in, the drop, the draw off the bottom turning, the water movement, and size of tube felt way more like P-Squawvalley or Artichoke Harbor than Flordy.

East coast suffered through the worst September to December ever.

I'll take smaller clean peaky NW swell with some so hemi swell mixing in any day.
Maybe DelMarVa? North/Central Florida had an above average September to December from where I'm sitting.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Terrible week upcoming, flat, cold and it looks like fishing might be done, hopefully busy with work. Today was kinda fun

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah Long Island specifcally has been basically flat and or side shore and awful and flat some more since our last fun tropical storm. Jersey has at least had a few decent days with west winds, but west winds no worky down the blocky. But I think most agree, worst fall in the north east in
recent memory. I’m letting my wife spend an extra week down here, thus earning me a much needed week at home alone, and a free pass for any sort of strike mission I can pull off this winter, even if it’s just to chase a swell to PR. its becoming a pathological necessity at this point

• Sad

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yeah Long Island specifcally has been basically flat and or side shore and awful and flat some more since our last fun tropical storm. Jersey has at least had a few decent days with west winds, but west winds no worky down the blocky. But I think most agree, worst fall in the north east in
recent memory. I’m letting my wife spend an extra week down here, thus earning me a much needed week at home alone, and a free pass for any sort of strike mission I can pull off this winter, even if it’s just to chase a swell to PR. its becoming a pathological necessity at this point
It was fun again in Jax Beach today. I surgically struck a late lunch and it was still clean. Except for the dipshit in his boat who drove over two sets just out the back of me. I fkn hate that lineup buzz those dipshits do. On a fucking weekday in December. Flossing entry-level center console clout on....checks notes...one prematurely aged surfer yelling BEAT IT DONKEY, and two prematurely aged surf casters thinking BEAT IT - wait, did that guy surfing just actually tell him to beat it? I might not even cast at him when he comes in.

Reactions: SlicedFeet

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
“Might” being the operative word. Florida Man might think twice, but Florida Man ultimately will cast at the surfer anyway

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
“Might” being the operative word. Florida Man might think twice, but Florida Man ultimately will cast at the surfer anyway
North Pole man is more reasonable. He checks his list twice and finds out who's naughty and nice.

Edit: Tell me you ducked a crankbait in a teebox today without telling me you ducked a crankbait in a teebox today.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Bro, I played chair volleyball with 20 octogenarians today. I’m not making that up. And they are the most competitive bunch, let me tell you. In fact the more advanced their age, the more you gotta watch their drop shots. They know all the tricks. Where I may have the edge in strength, reflexes, youth, eyesight, hearing, self awareness, etc, they have cunning twice as advanced as mine

• Haha

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
LMAO an afternoon of chair volleyball with 20 80 year olds.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

You've got the thousand yard stare now. You've been in the 'nam, in the sh!t. When he came down, it was all shorts and where's the freshest honeybell tangelos.

An afternoon of "active senior living community" life later, he has re-calibrated his threat assessments.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Meanwhile my wife thinks this is paradise and wants to get on the waiting list now we can buy a place here when we’re octos.
I explained we’ll be living in Nicaragua with well paid and trained live in care, and grow old in classic colonial dignity, but with like, modern medicine. I also promise to put Lupitas kids through college
who knows, maybe they will be my kids? :p :dancing:

• Haha
Reactions: One-Off

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Meanwhile my wife thinks this is paradise and wants to get on the waiting list now we can buy a place here when we’re octos.
I explained we’ll be living in Nicaragua with well paid and trained live in care, and grow old in classic colonial dignity, but with like, modern medicine. I also promise to put Lupitas kids through college
who knows, maybe they will be my kids? :p :dancing:
When our ilk is 80 it'll be the medical droid from Star Wars.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I've had a really good fall/early winter
Likewise. I think only one or two days that were under head high.

Sucky part is, after this weekend, raining for the next two weeks or so. Hopefully nothing too pissing down though since supposed to be blowing offshore.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Storm surf guy must have been canned by now for such ridiculous statements.

Since December 1st, offshores daily, 3-4 meters, 15 seconds.

:bowdown:

And no signs of stopping soon either!

:waving::shaka:

Reactions: mundus