The Skaters of the ERBB

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
Thanks SBD......... Tanner Jr. has been on an absolute tear lately, when it comes to his skating....

Here are a few more of Phat Cruiser, from Sunday..... :lowdown:

PhatCruiser

Michael Peterson status
Feb 8, 2007
Tanner said:
PhatCruiser said:
That was an awesome day, thanks so much for the pics Tanner. I thought I was doing pretty good keeping up with Bryce. We were the only ones left at the bowl around 1pm or so.. I took my pads off triumphantly...and he skated for another hour. I think he was pretty stocked on the Lakeside pool. I think its one of the best in SD
We both had a great time - him skating with you guys and me shooting everything! :cheers:

Keeping up with him is impossible........Mrs. Tanner is picking him and a buddy up from Clairemont, right now.........they did a TRIPLE SESSION today - 11am - 8pm!!! :foreheadslap:

Of all the runs he did on Sunday, I think this one was his favorite, when he pulled the grind over the stairs, for the first time :applause2:

So cool you got the first make!

NDG

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 28, 2013
LA
Used to skate loads and my first job ever was logging footy and filming for 411vm.

Terrified of it now - still have a few stock tricks in the bag but rarely ever do more than skate to Starbucks for the fear of getting injured and not being able to surf.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
casa_mugrienta said:
And Racer1 - can you imagine those wheels today in the park setting? :roflmao:
Those wheels would be fcked. They were stupid back then.

Coming from the 90s', I'm with you on transitions, I can barely skate them. Now it's part of street DNA. I'm also with you on not getting hurt. Last time I was at a park, I was trying to boardslide over a spine into another bowl and rolled my ankle. Waves firing and I can't even stand up. Mostly stopped skating after that.

One of my biz partners put a 3 foot mini in the parking of his office building. We went nuts the first weekend it was in for hours, but I was on the ground with the foam roller for the next two evenings.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The weird thing about picking it back up is it's so easy to get hurt. You know how to do the tricks so your brain says "go for it" but then the muscle memory is not there, nor is the ability to bail safely. Perfect recipe for disaster.

Ambrose_Burnsides

OTF status
Jun 12, 2015
casa_mugrienta said:
To all the pool and vert guys: you're all crazy. Especially the older guys. I can't wrap my brain around how you get comfortable with that stuff.

And Racer1 - can you imagine those wheels today in the park setting? :roflmao:

Even weirder to me is it seems most pro models are over 8 inches. Clearly more skatepark influence. We used to consider an 8 inch wide board for hessians in pools or huge handrails.

7.5 - 7.8 were for us street guys and pretty much the standard. From what I've seen these sizes are in the minority nowdays.
yeah it's pretty much all over 8, lots of guys even up at 8.5+ range and they skate it street... i can't go that big, usually around 8.25 feels right

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
jaxbeachgallery.blogspot.com
Cool thread.
BTW, You guys freaking rip. Turning 49 next week, here's a couple shots of me and my kid at kona, we hit it every other Wednesday. (Old guy night) ha! If in town ever, hit me up. Great place, one of the oldest skateparks still running.

Got more videos than picts. Can't figure out how to upload those yet. Snake run is the best thing at our park IMO.

I usually leave my phone in my jeep for fear of eating $hit.

Brrr

Nep status
Mar 4, 2008
Roe Dylin
www.worshipskateboards.com
casa_mugrienta said:
The weird thing about picking it back up is it's so easy to get hurt. You know how to do the tricks so your brain says "go for it" but then the muscle memory is not there, nor is the ability to bail safely. Perfect recipe for disaster.
This x 1000!!!! I fractured my elbow, radial head, small fracture so no cast but no surfing or anything for 5 weeks. What do you guys think are the best pads for high impact falls. I keep wondering if I had at least an elbow pad on I wouldn't be in this mess.

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
Brrr said:
casa_mugrienta said:
This x 1000!!!! I fractured my elbow, radial head, small fracture so no cast but no surfing or anything for 5 weeks. What do you guys think are the best pads for high impact falls. I keep wondering if I had at least an elbow pad on I wouldn't be in this mess.
I wear Protec or 187 pads. When I'm doing something other than cruising or taking it easy, I pad up. helmet. elbows and knees. Too old to worry what I look like. I've had a couple really bad falls on the snake run. ( people being where they shouldn't and a runaway board once...that really hurt)
I walked away from both with just a few scraps and a bunch of bruises.

Brrr

Nep status
Mar 4, 2008
Roe Dylin
www.worshipskateboards.com
jbd said:
Brrr said:
casa_mugrienta said:
I wear Protec or 187 pads. When I'm doing something other than cruising or taking it easy, I pad up. helmet. elbows and knees. Too old to worry what I look like. I've had a couple really bad falls on the snake run. ( people being where they shouldn't and a runaway board once...that really hurt)
I walked away from both with just a few scraps and a bunch of bruises.
:cheers: going to 42 in a few weeks, don't land like I used too. Can't miss work for broken bones either but I don't think I'll stop skating either. I'll check the 187 pads out, all the old rippers skate in them, must be something to them!

sr04

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 21, 2014
Southern California
I've very recently began skating again after about a 9 year hiatus because both my kids are getting into it. I ordered an 8.30 deck after riding 7.5's forever. It looks and feels huge. Heading over to Socal Skate shop next week to finish the set up. Then it's straight to one of the parks in the area (probably LAGS) to see if I still got it. I expect it to be humbling to say the least.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
casa_mugrienta said:
90s - especially the late 90s - I'd venture to say 80% of skaters could not skate transition, myself included. Guys who lived around skateparks could

Yes this was me!! But there was always one kid with a mini in their backyard that could rip tranny but couldn't street skate. I still love skating and would rather watch it over surfing most of the time. Still have a few setups in the garage for the occasional slappy sesh. Ive broken more bones surfing then I have skating which amuses me.

Not sure why my quote is jacked up. Never login on my phone.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I think it's funny when street skates think tranny is so gnarly. I would nver do the crap casa posted above. Scares the living crap out of me.

Took a buddy skating awhile back and he was tre flipping small gaps and did a small handrail and he about blew a gasket when I just dropped into a ten foot bowl. He thought I was gnarly. I thought he was fvcking with me but he was serious.

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
scotter said:
I've very recently began skating again after about a 9 year hiatus because both my kids are getting into it. I ordered an 8.30 deck after riding 7.5's forever. It looks and feels huge. Heading over to Socal Skate shop next week to finish the set up. Then it's straight to one of the parks in the area (probably LAGS) to see if I still got it. I expect it to be humbling to say the least.
:cheers:
I still ride the Santa Cruz Jason Jessee or Chris Miller reissue dog decks. Tried to make the switch to the smaller boards, just didn't feel the same.
good luck, pad up!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Phatcruiser has some really good style. Been trying too long, one of these days we'll get a session together.

Someone was talking about reflexes before. I don't care about being padded up either unless it's on a small mini, I wear pads.

Here's something to laugh at: