The Skaters of the ERBB

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The crazy thing about skateboarding today is skating transition is part of everyday life.

In all seriousness, during the 90s - especially the late 90s - I'd venture to say 80% of skaters could not skate transition, myself included. Guys who lived around skateparks could do it it but parks were few and far between. Put me in a skatepark and anything bigger than a 3ft mini ramp scared me.

I have no idea how the vert guys get comfortable, I guess if you grow up around ramps you're used to it.

Nowadays, especially with the proliferation of parks that look incredibly fun I'd love to start skating again but I take enough knocks surfing and when I'm out of the water it drives me nuts.

chrisolden

Miki Dora status
Sep 4, 2007
Room 429
One of the drawbacks of being the photographer, is that no one
ever takes your picture.:socrazy:
It's a few years old, but I've always liked this pic; it doesn't look too gnarly,
but the bowl is 11' deep with a crazy over vert section and you have to
pump the corners to double carve the whole bowl.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Have skated most of my life starting in the vert and street era of the 80's through tech trick 90's and into the park and bowl renaissance of the 2000's Still skate, but almost done with it at 43. Hurts knees and back and over hippers, swellbows, etc. Hard not to around here though with all the parks and living an hour from the waves. I've skated every park from S OR to SW WA in the last decade or so. Haven't had to much time recently and been cycling. Miss the scene though, good vibes and peps around here contrary to surfing. Kudos to anyone still charging in the their 40 and 50s. There are plenty of guys locally that still kill it.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
My son and I did 8 or 9 parks in oregon last year and it was such a great time.

I agree though, age sucks. I don;t even skate hard and it's rough on the back and knees as well.

WIll be putting a small mini in the backyard in the next six months. Should be a blast.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
You guys all rip :jam_on: Would love to be able to skate like that. But for now I'll stick to dicking around on the Carver. I've already found plenty of ways to hurt myself doing that. I'd be in wheelchair trying do the sh!t you guys are pulling. :cheers:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Yeah Casa you got skills. You should start rolling again.

My legs hurt getting out of the car if I skate hard. And bumps and bruises take longer to go away. Just part of the deal. Grinding pool coping way more fun than chasing Pokemon.

PhatCruiser

Michael Peterson status
Feb 8, 2007
That was an awesome day, thanks so much for the pics Tanner. I thought I was doing pretty good keeping up with Bryce. We were the only ones left at the bowl around 1pm or so.. I took my pads off triumphantly...and he skated for another hour. I think he was pretty stocked on the Lakeside pool. I think its one of the best in SD.

Wallows, I remember trippin' on that in Skateboarder Mag when I was a kid.

I have Sundays free to skate and/or surf. Any erBBers wanna hit it PM me.

PhatCruiser

Michael Peterson status
Feb 8, 2007
Just an FYI for anyone with lower back issues. I started doing Jefferson curls about a month ago. It's a very easy to perform stretch with some weight that gymnasts do. After a few days a lot of the chronic back tightness and soreness was gone. YMMV but check 'em out.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYS0R4c3qCA[/video]

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
To all the pool and vert guys: you're all crazy. Especially the older guys. I can't wrap my brain around how you get comfortable with that stuff.

And Racer1 - can you imagine those wheels today in the park setting? :roflmao:

Even weirder to me is it seems most pro models are over 8 inches. Clearly more skatepark influence. We used to consider an 8 inch wide board for hessians in pools or huge handrails.

7.5 - 7.8 were for us street guys and pretty much the standard. From what I've seen these sizes are in the minority nowdays.

chrisolden

Miki Dora status
Sep 4, 2007
Room 429
casa_mugrienta said:
To all the pool and vert guys: you're all crazy. Especially the older guys. I can't wrap my brain around how you get comfortable with that stuff.
Ha! At 51, my "gnar days" are pretty much over. But pools/bowls/pipes
are always fun.
I'm always more comfortable in the bigger/deeper terrain; you have more
time to react.
Every time I've been seriously injured has been in smaller stuff where
reaction time to falling is almost zero.
Loose trucks and speed are your friends.
:jam_on:

hanger18

Nep status
Sep 16, 2003
Pacific Beach
silentbutdeadly said:
last time I was down there that part was overgrown. Nice to see it skateable!
I did some tune ups last month but there have been other people putting in some work. Its the best its been in years.

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
PhatCruiser said:
That was an awesome day, thanks so much for the pics Tanner. I thought I was doing pretty good keeping up with Bryce. We were the only ones left at the bowl around 1pm or so.. I took my pads off triumphantly...and he skated for another hour. I think he was pretty stocked on the Lakeside pool. I think its one of the best in SD
We both had a great time - him skating with you guys and me shooting everything! :cheers:

Keeping up with him is impossible........Mrs. Tanner is picking him and a buddy up from Clairemont, right now.........they did a TRIPLE SESSION today - 11am - 8pm!!! :foreheadslap:

Of all the runs he did on Sunday, I think this one was his favorite, when he pulled the grind over the stairs, for the first time :applause2: