The Random Photo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
The next episode looks like it'a gonna be a cracka, mate, a cracka. But mate you wanna see a cracka?

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Myles writes:

Was just messing around with my telescope last night and took this picture of M51 the Whirlpool Galaxy!
My first astro photo.
This is an interacting spiral galaxy 31 million light years from earth in the Canes Venatici constellation.
The smaller bright spot on the right are the remains of a smaller galaxy being absorbed by the larger one.

Taken in East Sooke BC

Photo by: Myles Edwards

M51WhirlPoolGalaxy.jpg

Take care.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Myles writes:

Was just messing around with my telescope last night and took this picture of M51 the Whirlpool Galaxy!
My first astro photo.
This is an interacting spiral galaxy 31 million light years from earth in the Canes Venatici constellation.
The smaller bright spot on the right are the remains of a smaller galaxy being absorbed by the larger one.

Taken in East Sooke BC

Photo by: Myles Edwards

View attachment 132423

Take care.
That's pretty good for a first effort! I started some astro photography at the start of the year but we hardly get any clear skies here so its been very frustrating, however I managed this of M81 (Bode's galaxy) on about my third attempt. I've tried to keep low budget in case I didn't get on with it but its clouds and red wine that are stopping me mostly.
"Bode's Galaxy is a large spiral galaxy found in Ursa Major and is about 12 million light-years away, making it "quite close" to us as galaxies go! The light we see from this galaxy started out before humans existed."

Attachments

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
How's this done.... :unsure:

If there's one thing we got plenty of is clear skies and perfect starlight views.
I use a telescope (yeah really!!! :) ) and a dslr camera attached (no eyepiece needed or camera lens just a cheap adapter for the camera to scope) and a motorised mount for the telescope so it can track the sky rotation (really the earth's rotation). You need a motorised equatorial mount for the length of exposure needed for a half decent galaxy shot which will be composed of multiple shots stacked together. My initial set up was second hand and cost £160 for the telescope and mount to which I added a motor kit (£125) for tracking. The camera adapter was around £12. If you have a fast telephoto lens for your camera you can do without the telescope at a pinch but you still need a tracking mount. The image relies on a fair bit of post processing on computer but you can use free software to do it. If you've never done astronomy before you'll need to watch a lot of video on youtube! Its a very deep rabbit hole if you choose to go down it and it can empty your wallet faster than the tax man.

Status
Not open for further replies.