The Purist’s Mentawais Quiver

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
Waxfoot said:
Jeez, I think you're over thinking it. Granted, when I went it wasn't all-time, but 3-4 boards is more than enough, and you have your bases well and truly covered.
i've got 30kg of sports equipment baggage allowance, so might as well use it!

5 boards can turn into 3 pretty quickly with a buckle or fin blowout.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Out of interest, where are you from Toddo, do you regularly surf waves of the kind you'll find in the Ments? Do you think you'll notice much of a difference in two near identical boards in powerful surf? (I don't ask that in a condescending way, genuine curiosity)

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Toddo, even at shoulder high to HH, the waves have a lot of power. Never wished I'd brought a small wave board. Really happy to have my 6'10 mini gun.

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
Waxfoot said:
Out of interest, where are you from Toddo, do you regularly surf waves of the kind you'll find in the Ments? Do you think you'll notice much of a difference in two near identical boards in powerful surf? (I don't ask that in a condescending way, genuine curiosity)
nsw south coast. don't regularly get ments type waves, but we do occasionally get some powerful swells. I can definitely tell the difference between a swallow and round tail in everyday surf. don't know about perfect ments waves though.

May 10, 2018
I go to indo every year and only ever take 3 boards. A 5'9 black box 2 / 3 type shape for up to 4 foot (a bit overhead for size scale) My 6'0 shortboard for up to 6 foot + and then a step up a few inches bigger for 8 foot plus. I've always found indo waves are pretty easy to paddle into (unless you want to surf nias / kandui / bankvaults / outside corner on those mega swells that really only come once or twice a year). You will surf your regular shortboard most of the time.

(I'm just under 6 foot and 78kg)

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I dunno if it's rude to not take a round tail to the ments but it's definitely rude to take 5 boards.

I kid, but in all honestly, lugging around 5 boards is going to be a huge pain and boats aren't that big so I'm not sure that bringing 5 boards would be particularly well received.

Also, you'll get dinged pretty bad for travelling with all that weight. Lion Air and the Mentawai Fast both charge for bags based on weight and you'll pay a pretty penny for a bag with 5 boards in it.

Noise has the right idea: small wave board, medium wave board, bigger wave board. Obviously, check the forecast before you go but generally you should be prepared for 4' - 12' foot faces and you really shouldn't bring more than 3 boards.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
noise said:
I go to indo every year and only ever take 3 boards. A 5'9 black box 2 / 3 type shape for up to 4 foot (a bit overhead for size scale) My 6'0 shortboard for up to 6 foot + and then a step up a few inches bigger for 8 foot plus. I've always found indo waves are pretty easy to paddle into (unless you want to surf nias / kandui / bankvaults / outside corner on those mega swells that really only come once or twice a year). You will surf your regular shortboard most of the time.

Are you me?

I do the same. 3 boards - a 5'9, a back-up, and 6'0 step-up. I don't go longer than 6'0 because I'd probably just sit in the channel and watch if the swell called for a bigger board than that! Haha...

A lot of the 'normal' bigger swells still break in the same spot on the reefs over there, so most of the time you don't need a massive board. The mega swells are another story. I was at a certain little island during that Muzza Swell a few years ago. Went out on the boat taxi to take a look. The skipper moored at the usual deep water spot in the channel. Saw some majestic , monster waves until we spotted a next level set approaching. The deckhand jumped up, unhooked us from the buoy, and we gunned it for a deeper spot in the channel. Was pretty scary...

May 10, 2018
Goodfish said:
noise said:

Are you me?

I do the same. 3 boards - a 5'9, a back-up, and 6'0 step-up. I don't go longer than 6'0 because I'd probably just sit in the channel and watch if the swell called for a bigger board than that! Haha...

A lot of the 'normal' bigger swells still break in the same spot on the reefs over there, so most of the time you don't need a massive board. The mega swells are another story. I was at a certain little island during that Muzza Swell a few years ago. Went out on the boat taxi to take a look. The skipper moored at the usual deep water spot in the channel. Saw some majestic , monster waves until we spotted a next level set approaching. The deckhand jumped up, unhooked us from the buoy, and we gunned it for a deeper spot in the channel. Was pretty scary...
Haha. Great minds! I find I end up riding my 5'9 and 6'0 90% of the time over there too. My 6'2 step-up only gets used every so often.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
LOL, sounds like an echo chamber in here.... I don't go that often, but I'm in the very same proverbial boat. I took 5.11, 6 and a 6.4. Any wave that needs a bigger board can go fuck itself, I'll watch it from the safety of the channel :p

I could have surfed the 6 100% of the time... only took the 6.4 out at Thunders, as I thought it's a bit more of an 'open water' wave, but really didn't;t need it.

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
Like I said i've pre paid for 30kg worth of sports equipment. It's not going to cost me more to take 5 than 3 at this stage. As for lugging it around. I have to drag it about 30m at departures at the airport, pay a porter $5 to take it to our boat transport at the other end, and repeat on the way back.

if we get small waves i'll be kicking myself if i don't take the 5'6
if we get big waves i'll be kicking myself if i don't take the 6'8

Gunna be on a boat surfing for 12 days - bit of variety is the spice of life, I could probably get away with 2 boards if I had to, but I don't have to.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
toddo said:
bit of variety is the spice of life, I
Good call on all the swallow tails (I kiiiid I kiiiid)
Get the pulled in round tail to spice things up ;)

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
Waxfoot said:
toddo said:
bit of variety is the spice of life, I
Good call on all the swallow tails :D (I kiiiid I kiiiid)
Get the pulled in round tail to spin things up ;)
haha gotta say i was a bit surprised by the minimalist responses on the erbb, where people have 6 board grovel quivers for all types of summer surf!

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
We’re just jealous that you’re off to go surf the Ments and want you to have a sh!t time there, to make us feel better :D

Which boat are you taking?

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
Waxfoot said:
We’re just jealous that you’re off to go surf the Ments and want you to have a sh!t time there, to make us feel better :D

Which boat are you taking?
D'bora

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
My preference for less boards on a trip is that it makes life less complicated. Also, getting to surf the same boards every day in quality waves for days and days really helps you to dial them in.

Have an epic trip, Toddo! Hope you score.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
toddo said:
haha gotta say i was a bit surprised by the minimalist responses on the erbb, where people have 6 board grovel quivers for all types of summer surf!
Do you even NCSD bro :fight:

In all seriousness, if I was going on a trip like this, I'd be taking 4 boards.

Step down
HPSB
Back up hpsb
Step-up

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Good boards for good waves.

Check the forecast before you leave. If it's not absolutely dire, there really is no need for a step down.

I didn't surf one wave below HH, and there's plenty of power, so a standard short board (or whatever your main decent-wave board is) is the smallest you need.

That said, the one board you really should bring is the one you really love (unless it's an ultra groveler).

Bring 4 if you must, but make them good ones. And if everybody brings 4 boards, there will be storage issues.

Happy travels. I heard good things about DBora.