*** The Official Wildland FIRE Thread ***

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
got everything important packed up. winds are dead calm. now that it's dark i can see the glow in the distance. i think it's about 3 miles out. there are a few clear cuts and roads and a powerline corridor between the fire and my place. lots of fire fighters and resources in the area but no one has been up our road yet. a few friends have been evacuated and many more on on level 2 notice (be ready) but our zone is not yet on notice.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
The current golf mecca burned to the ground in the 1920s I think, back when it was a logging and milling center. Entire town poof. Hoping it does not encroach further west into your canyon and surrounding areas.

Reactions: kawika and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The current golf mecca burned to the ground in the 1920s I think, back when it was a logging and milling center. Entire town poof. Hoping it does not encroach further west into your canyon and surrounding areas.
yeah i think it might have burned a couple times actually.

winds are still calm and the smoke is high. went out to the viewpoint before going to bed at midnight and the glow was nearly gone. stars visible overhead. managed to get some sleep. according to the overnight infrared readings the fire hasn't actually moved our direction much and the mountain that we saw going up in flames is actually quite far away.

looks like we have a few calm days and then next week it starts blowing again. long range shows a little rain but not enough to get us out of the woods.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

winds are still calm and the smoke is high. went out to the viewpoint before going to bed at midnight and the glow was nearly gone. stars visible overhead. managed to get some sleep. according to the overnight infrared readings the fire hasn't actually moved our direction much and the mountain that we saw going up in flames is actually quite far away.

looks like we have a few calm days and then next week it starts blowing again. long range shows a little rain but not enough to get us out of the woods.
Fingers crossed for you bro. Assuming you have solid defensible space around your pad?

Reactions: menobrah and Aruka

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Stay vigilant. Wishing you the best.

Reactions: Aruka

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001

hope the guys can make a bunch of black between you and the fire before the winds pick up again

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Fingers crossed for you bro. Assuming you have solid defensible space around your pad?
Yeah my spot is pretty well cleared out. My parents place needs a lot of work though so ive been over there dropping trees and limbs and clearing brush and all that fun stuff.

The fire jumped the river during the heavy east winds the other day but it sounds like they managed to get on it and get it contained. Today with the calm winds i think they were able to put in some work.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
got everything important packed up. winds are dead calm. now that it's dark i can see the glow in the distance. i think it's about 3 miles out. there are a few clear cuts and roads and a powerline corridor between the fire and my place. lots of fire fighters and resources in the area but no one has been up our road yet. a few friends have been evacuated and many more on on level 2 notice (be ready) but our zone is not yet on notice.
Anvil or Three Buttes fire?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Yeah my spot is pretty well cleared out. My parents place needs a lot of work though so ive been over there dropping trees and limbs and clearing brush and all that fun stuff.

The fire jumped the river during the heavy east winds the other day but it sounds like they managed to get on it and get it contained. Today with the calm winds i think they were able to put in some work.
I’m taking advantage of cooler weather and am gonna do some brush clearing etc td myself. The saw is family.

God speed

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
doesn't look like the fire grew much overnight.

starting today we've got five days of winds coming with gusts up to 40mph according to Windy. mostly fairly North direction, which is good, but some North East periods too, which is bad. either way it's a lot of wind.

on the long range there is some rain. hopefully that rain forecast holds and we can make it through this week.

back to work.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
winds are howling right now but from a NW angle thankfully. the fire has grown a lot but mostly out into the wilderness and they've managed to keep it from jumping the lines and burning towards town. i think there are something like 800 firefighters working the fire and the planes and choppers have been flying all day, every day for weeks now. some places on the river are basically encircled but no structures have been lost. some of my favorite places in the world are burning right now but after last week i'm just grateful to still have a home. a few more days and then the rains will arrive.

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
winds are howling right now but from a NW angle thankfully. the fire has grown a lot but mostly out into the wilderness and they've managed to keep it from jumping the lines and burning towards town. i think there are something like 800 firefighters working the fire and the planes and choppers have been flying all day, every day for weeks now. some places on the river are basically encircled but no structures have been lost. some of my favorite places in the world are burning right now but after last week i'm just grateful to still have a home. a few more days and then the rains will arrive.
All good in your hood now bro???

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This is 100% a fuel issue.
I'm sure he was the only scientist saying this.

All the rangers I've talked to or heard speak said the same thing- the intensity of wildfires is primarily the result of a century+ of misguided fire management/suppression and that we are 100+ years in arrears wtih respect to controlled burns. However they all add that the longer, dryer seasons have exacerbated the situation.

On our recent trip to Sequoia I was talking to a ranger who pointed out that the prescribed burns done in and around the Giant Forest were successful. The fire came raging up the hill toward the grove known as the "Guardians" and when it reached the area it laid down.

We should quadruple the funding for wildland fire fighting. But that's one of my priorities because I'm a frequent "user" of wild, public lands. I think for most people it's just off their radar and not a primary issue.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm sure he was the only scientist saying this.

All the rangers I've talked to or heard speak said the same thing- the intensity of wildfires is primarily the result of a century+ of misguided fire management/suppression and that we are 100+ years in arrears wtih respect to controlled burns. However they all add that the longer, dryer seasons have exacerbated the situation.
Where'd they get the data on longer, drier fire seasons?

Right. What I said. This is the overwhelming effect - fuel.