*** The Official Wildland FIRE Thread ***

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
I'm guessing it's gonna be a later season the the past few years, probably pick up in late July/early August, peak in Sept/Oct. Never know though.

Can't believe how much Canada is burning right now. The wife was in upstate NY for a work trip and came back early because they've been getting inundated with the smoke coming south.
I've been trying to get details on the Canada fires and all I get is articles about how it's affecting the air quality in the States, or how pissed Canadians are at the politicians for not deploying management teams and suppression resources.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
looking out my window on Long Island looks like a pic with a sepia filter
never seen anything like it here
smells and tastes like smoke too

Reactions: PPK96754

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
WTF????
I'm just sitting here waiting for the phone to ring, and they are letting frog eaters help out? We are WAY more experienced than those Euro-trash clowns.
Well those guys from Quebec are wannabe French, so there's that.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
WTF????
I'm just sitting here waiting for the phone to ring, and they are letting frog eaters help out? We are WAY more experienced than those Euro-trash clowns.
Be careful what you wish for. Prime time in California is right around the corner. From what I’ve read here and what my kid in Santa Rosa has told me there was plenty of rain last winter up there. Our resident firefighters should catch some waves now, come September I think you’ll get all that you want plus more. I hope not.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
watched this last night....

A+ for fire footage and the narrative content was accurate although a bit awkward at times

overall would recommend watching it

dana brown should do a documentary on wildlands firefighters (not just hotshots). that would be epic!

Reactions: PPK96754

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
watched this last night....

A+ for fire footage and the narrative content was accurate although a bit awkward at times

overall would recommend watching it

dana brown should do a documentary on wildlands firefighters (not just hotshots). that would be epic!
We drove by their memorial (South of Prescott) on the way home from Sedona this fall. Stopped to pay respect. There is a hike up the hill but we didn't have time to do it.

Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 5.45.32 PM.png

oops. I was thinking of this movie-

Last edited:

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
We drove by their memorial (South of Prescott) on the way home from Sedona this fall. Stopped to pay respect. There is a hike up the hill but we didn't have time to do it.

View attachment 159869

oops. I was thinking of this movie-

Awesome. I see the patch I put up there a couple years ago heavily faded, but still there. Did the hike at sunset on Mother's Day and went all the way down to the fatality site. I was all alone and it was completely silent. Absolutely surreal.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Soo... Fire season doesn't seem so bad in the PNW this year?

My friend is camping in Western Montana and surrounded by wildfires at the moment. No campfires. No propane stoves.
Sept-Nov is usually the season round these parts.