LBNY
Watching deadwood finally. Was always on my list. What a show

“I’d rather try touching the moon than take on a whore’s thinkin’”

The dialogue is amazing

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Try "Palm Springs" on Hulu. Intentionally derivative of "Groundhog Day", with all the rules relating to waking up on the same day, except darker, raunchier, and in many ways funnier. Well worth your 90 minutes of TV watching time. It has extremely good reviews.

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Has anyone mentioned "Slow Horses" on Apple TV? i'm a few episodes in, and enjoying it

Unique take on the modern Spy Thriller genre

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Bad Sisters is a really good series, similar-ish to Deadwood. We also loved Drops of God which is set in France and Tokyo; it's a compelling story set with a wine backdrop.

Reactions: One-Off and Aruka

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Highly recommend everyone watch this as it directly affects 99% of humanity as these chemicals are in all our blood. And they are there forever, literally, and only accumulate further with time. Heads up that this movie will also make you absolutely furious. It has star power but hardly got any press - I am very much in this environmental field, definitely in the PFAS/PFOA loop, and still, hadn't even heard about this movie until recently. Finally watched it today.

So yes it causes several cancers and other diseases. Now I'm thinking, is this why I have this sizable thyroid nodule? How much is in my bloodstream? I've flossed, used teflon frying pans, eaten microwave popcorn, used plastic straws, used shampoo, etc. just as much as anyone else.

That's not even the craziest sh!t.

Rise in autism caused by vaccines? Excessive screentime? Nope. Pretty limited study found with quick google search and even so, found a connection. Especially when you consider there are not just 8 PFAS compounds but close to 15,000. Here you go:

A Kaiser Permanente analysis of prenatal exposure to the persistent environmental chemicals known as PFAS found suggestive evidence of an association with autism-related traits in children for just 1 of 8 PFAS chemicals studied.
The study, published in the journal Epidemiology (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36630444/), found a modest increase in autism-related traits in children exposed to perfluorononanoic acid (PFNA), but no association with the other 7. The analysis included data on children at 10 sites around the U.S. that participate in the federally funded Environmental Influences of Child Health Outcomes (ECHO) program on environmental influences on child health and development.

“This is the largest study to date of these chemicals in relation to a measure of autistic traits,” said lead author Jennifer Ames, PhD, a staff scientist with the Kaiser Permanente Division of Research and ECHO investigator. “The relationship between PFAS chemicals and autism has been inconsistent in the literature. Our study suggests the relationship at the broad population level is not very strong, but additional research is necessary to identify any potential effects in subgroups.”
_______
TL/DR From abstract:
Prenatal blood concentrations of PFNA may be associated with modest increases in child autism-related traits. Future work should continue to examine the relationship between exposures to both legacy and emerging PFAS and additional dimensional, quantitative measures of childhood autism-related outcomes."

_
Curious about what future work on this has continued.

Oh yeah, also a strong link to childhood obesity.

But yeah, you could say this movie struck a massive nerve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and npsp

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Maestro on Netflix was surprisingly good. I couldn’t have been less interested in a Leonard Fucking Bernstein biopic but went to see it at the academy with my gf cause she worked on it. I was prepared to hate it and found the idea of Bradley Cooper wearing a prosthetic nose to play a Jew to be borderline offensive. But man did they pull it off.

Killers of the Flower Moon was long but really well done. If ya wanna hate the white man this is your movie. Scorsese still has it.

Saltburn is worth seeing but not great. Tries to hard. I wish I saw it at home so I could pause it and talk sh!t about it along the way.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Highly recommend everyone watch this as it directly affects 99% of humanity as these chemicals are in all our blood. And they are there forever, literally, and only accumulate further with time. Heads up that this movie will also make you absolutely furious. It has star power but hardly got any press - I am very much in this environmental field, definitely in the PFAS/PFOA loop, and still, hadn't even heard about this movie until recently. Finally watched it today.

So yes it causes several cancers and other diseases. Now I'm thinking, is this why I have this sizable thyroid nodule? How much is in my bloodstream? I've flossed, used teflon frying pans, eaten microwave popcorn, used plastic straws, used shampoo, etc. just as much as anyone else.

That's not even the craziest sh!t.

Rise in autism caused by vaccines? Excessive screentime? Nope. Pretty limited study found with quick google search and even so, found a connection. Especially when you consider there are not just 8 PFAS compounds but close to 15,000. Here you go:

A Kaiser Permanente analysis of prenatal exposure to the persistent environmental chemicals known as PFAS found suggestive evidence of an association with autism-related traits in children for just 1 of 8 PFAS chemicals studied.
The study, published in the journal Epidemiology (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36630444/), found a modest increase in autism-related traits in children exposed to perfluorononanoic acid (PFNA), but no association with the other 7. The analysis included data on children at 10 sites around the U.S. that participate in the federally funded Environmental Influences of Child Health Outcomes (ECHO) program on environmental influences on child health and development.

“This is the largest study to date of these chemicals in relation to a measure of autistic traits,” said lead author Jennifer Ames, PhD, a staff scientist with the Kaiser Permanente Division of Research and ECHO investigator. “The relationship between PFAS chemicals and autism has been inconsistent in the literature. Our study suggests the relationship at the broad population level is not very strong, but additional research is necessary to identify any potential effects in subgroups.”
_______
TL/DR From abstract:
Prenatal blood concentrations of PFNA may be associated with modest increases in child autism-related traits. Future work should continue to examine the relationship between exposures to both legacy and emerging PFAS and additional dimensional, quantitative measures of childhood autism-related outcomes."

_
Curious about what future work on this has continued.

Oh yeah, also a strong link to childhood obesity.

But yeah, you could say this movie struck a massive nerve.
This is a very good movie.
For how long it has been known to be an issue, it's crazy to think that PFAS is finally getting the attention that it deserves. It wasn't until just recently that they updated the National drinking water standards to include limits of detection. WTF....

It is pervasive, but treatable. California and many other parts of the country have vast reserves of PFAS contaminated ground water. The trick is treating it and that costs $$$$ to build and maintain.

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
This is a very good movie.
For how long it has been known to be an issue, it's crazy to think that PFAS is finally getting the attention that it deserves. It wasn't until just recently that they updated the National drinking water standards to include limits of detection. WTF....

It is pervasive, but treatable. California and many other parts of the country have vast reserves of PFAS contaminated ground water. The trick is treating it and that costs $$$$ to build and maintain.
It's crazy. You hear about something like Red Hill in Hawaii and you think how was something like that allowed to happen? And you can easily understand why people there are really damned pissed off. The DuPont issue with PFAS is a complete different universe. Unconscionable.

The new standard is 20 and 4 ppt for PFOA and PFOS, respectively. The question, though, is whether you can get the labs to detect that low. Unbelievably sensitive and field samplers will need to be really cognizant to not cross-contaminate.

Pretty much what I've heard is pump and treat with GAC, ion exchange, and such. Here's a kicker to that, though: those compounds are so pervasive that they are being swept up in the rain cycle via evaporation, raining back down, and then reinfiltrating back into groundwater.

Brilliant job, Dupont. Just brilliant. Well, Western Civilization made inroads to North Sentinel Island after all.

Not sure who you contract training with but Erick McWayne's course (remote) on PFAS up at UC Davis is extremely good. All of his are. Highly recommend.

Interesting tidbit. Looked on the ingredients of the Costco microwave popcorn. Nothing like that listed. Doesn't have to be because those compounds are on the inside of the bag, not the actual popcorn. Whether they coat the popcorn later on is immaterial (no pun intended). Sleazy.

Last edited:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Mind boggling how this was able to go on for so long. Company town mentality still runs strong in parts of the country. I see it on my work travels. DuPont C-suite occupiers and BOD officers need to go into big boy general population in a Federal Penitentiary for 25-life for this crime.
It's all pump and treat at this point and will be for a long, long time for the reasons you list.... I have a friend/former colleague who saw this coming a few years back and has timed the market perfectly and is making a killing with his patented GAC systems.
Ironically, Dupont is in the water treatment business and has an ion exchange system PFAS for PFAS removal.
AWWA has updated their curriculum to include PFAS and the topic now has it's own tract at most conferences. It still amazes me that it took as long as it did to gain meaningful traction.