***The Official Running Thread***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Would prefer not to. With the two bottles in the pockets and one in the hand, that's is a little over 50 oz. Can replenish at aid stations. I can carry GUs and other nutrition in back pocket.

Although... Born to Run 2, got the recipe for those pinole cakes, gonna bake up a batch this weekend, see how those things go.
Bottles in the pockets? Like on your calves? I can't imagine that.

Also, maybe put this in one of your bottles?

"Even getting drunk is a spiritual act, he explains. Bill Merrill, a Smithsonian Institution anthropologist who's spent 30 years studying and working with the Tarahumara, says the tesguino chases out the "large souls" within, leaving only the "little souls." "And so when people get drunk that's why they act like children," he says, "Because the souls that are controlling their actions are the little souls, like little children."

:cheers:

And yes, the BIL has been on a hike. THis was his first "hike in camping" adventure. And he did it solo. in the snow.
Didn't understand the "in camping" part.

So, like overnight backpacking? Well, maybe if he had no qualms about sleeping in the snow, a little rain won't deter him?

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Bottles in the pockets? Like on your calves? I can't imagine that.
Normal pockets that are on shorts, right on the hips. Have a back pocket I can put the gels and a plastic bag for the empties.

Also, maybe put this in one of your bottles?

"Even getting drunk is a spiritual act, he explains. Bill Merrill, a Smithsonian Institution anthropologist who's spent 30 years studying and working with the Tarahumara, says the tesguino chases out the "large souls" within, leaving only the "little souls." "And so when people get drunk that's why they act like children," he says, "Because the souls that are controlling their actions are the little souls, like little children."
I will pass on running drunk through the trails :roflmao:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I was trying to get a better idea of what 50 miles is like. It would be like running from my house in Redondo Beach, up to Will Rogers State Park, run up to Temescal Peak and then back home.

:crazy2:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Normal pockets that are on shorts, right on the hips. Have a back pocket I can put the gels and a plastic bag for the empties.
Don't they bounce around?

I did a 16 miler this week with no nutrition and only 8 ounces of Gatorade (I had eaten pasta and seconds the night before). I didn't bonk like last week on the 20 miler. I remember reading about the distance between a half and full marathon and the main difference had to do with the necessity to fuel during a full. Something about how at around 20 miles energy stores are used up.

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Don't they bounce around?

I did a 16 miler this week with no nutrition and only 8 ounces of Gatorade (I had eaten pasta and seconds the night before). I didn't bonk like last week on the 20 miler. I remember reading about the distance between a half and full marathon and the main difference had to do with the necessity to fuel during a full. Something about how at around 20 miles energy stores are used up.
These shorts from Costco of all places have zippers and hold them in place with no bounce. But they are too thick for the rain, that's for sure. :roflmao:

I usually put fuel in the equation when I am running longer than 90 minutes.

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The Mrs is doing the Kaiser half marathon on Sunday.
Forecast is not looking friendly.
She's not too worried about herself, but her brother is joing her for his first half marathon. He's been doing some training but he is a chronic overthinker that doesn't take advice well.

He had a recent weird thing happen on NYD hiking Mt. Laguna. Solo. in the snow. for his first hike in camping experience. All I know is he got to the top of the hike around dusk and put his pack down. Somehow, which remains unclear, he lost his pack in the snow and dark, with his phone, keys, and gear in it, and panicked. He hiked down the trail in the dark until he was able to lag down a cop, or someone who called a cop. He ends up being dropped off at the ER with nothing on him nad has to call his dad, in Portugal (the only number he knew), who got in contact with his other sister to get him a ride home. Uber kept cancelling because nobody wanted to drive to LA. Finally he got a ride to his grandparent's house in Alhambra and stayed there for a day or two until he pulled it together.

He didn't want anyone to know, so we found out 3 weeks later and he still won't talk about it.

Anyway. It's going to suck to run in the rain.
Your Bro in law?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I was trying to get a better idea of what 50 miles is like. It would be like running from my house in Redondo Beach, up to Will Rogers State Park, run up to Temescal Peak and then back home.

:crazy2:
Add 10,000 feet of pretty continuous hills (very few flats) along that but you have 14 hours to finish so there's that.

• Wow
Reactions: One-Off

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
My two cents on the water bottle debate: I start LS 50 with one regular hand held bottle (WIth home made bike inner tube hand hold). I have another handheld bottle (amphipod style that sits nicely in your short's waist band when empty) in a paper grocery bag dropbag at the half way point. At the half way point to the finnish you will prob need more water between aid as pace slows or day heats up. Paper bag is key so you can just throw away the bag (bring a marker so you can write your bib# on the bag.
This system served me well at all ultra distances except 200 miler, never did that distance.

As far as the rain: nut butter or bag balm on all of the potential chaffing areas. Feet will be wet the whole time; LS 50 has multiple creek crossings.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
My two cents on the water bottle debate: I start LS 50 with one regular hand held bottle (WIth home made bike inner tube hand hold). I have another handheld bottle (amphipod style that sits nicely in your short's waist band when empty) in a paper grocery bag dropbag at the half way point. At the half way point to the finnish you will prob need more water between aid as pace slows or day heats up. Paper bag is key so you can just throw away the bag (bring a marker so you can write your bib# on the bag.
This system served me well at all ultra distances except 200 miler, never did that distance.

As far as the rain: nut butter or bag balm on all of the potential chaffing areas. Feet will be wet the whole time; LS 50 has multiple creek crossings.

Do you think coconut oil would work for a half marathon? I was going to bring this up for the Mrs and Brother in Law

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

They have multiple stations to refill both water and electrolytes, though, right? Around 5-8 miles apart? 3 water bottles can get me that far no problem unless it is absolutely scorching hot.

The wet feet concern me a bit. My road running shoes actually work great in the rain. But haven't experimented with the Salomon trail runners I have now. The bright side is I KNOW they cause me blisters at the achilles heel if I don't lean forward while running downhill so that is a motivator. Performance in mud/rain unknown. A few years old and never really been 100% rah-rah behind them.

Am in the market for some new trail runners and soon so I can break them in the next several weeks.

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
They have multiple stations to refill both water and electrolytes, though, right? Around 5-8 miles apart? 3 water bottles can get me that far no problem unless it is absolutely scorching hot.

The wet feet concern me a bit. My road running shoes actually work great in the rain. But haven't experimented with the Salomon trail runners I have now. The bright side is I KNOW they cause me blisters at the achilles heel if I don't lean forward while running downhill so that is a motivator. Performance in mud/rain unknown. A few years old and never really been 100% rah-rah behind them.

Am in the market for some new trail runners and soon so I can break them in the next several weeks.
I run it about one hour between aid station pace. I swear by Altra Lone Peak. There will be a lot of muddy slick sections.
Be sure to tank up on shrooms and water at the start!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I run it about one hour between aid station pace. I swear by Altra Lone Peak. There will be a lot of muddy slick sections.
Be sure to tank up on shrooms and water at the start!
Good to know about the mud and slick - figured it's inevitable if everyone is running with wet feet.

Thanks for the shoe rec. My wife just got a pair of those too, loves them.

If you're going to do shrooms, why not 10mg of edibles every hour?

It's funny that they test the winners for PEDs, including weed. I don't know about shrooms though.

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
Just kidding about the shrooms. The last time I did LS 50 I thought shrooms would be my secret weapon. I almost DNFd at the half way. That one was my hardest finnish.
All this talk about ultras is making me want to do one again, such a sickness.

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
One very hot year at LS 50 I created a new drink. At the last aid station before the finish I poured a bunch of course salt into a can of coke. Best drink ever! From the last aid to the finish is a true ass kicker.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
One very hot year at LS 50 I created a new drink. At the last aid station before the finish I poured a bunch of course salt into a can of coke. Best drink ever! From the last aid to the finish is a true ass kicker.
Been hoping you’d chime in with your experience.

At about what distance did blisters come into play? I had one marathon where I got a big blister on the bottom of the ball of my foot and it was pretty tortuous. If it was a certainty that at some point I’d be running with blisters I’d have to take a long time considering if it was worth it to me.

Did you ever use a hydration vest or poles? I don’t think I’d like running with something in my hands but I noticed a lot of the faster runners runt with a bottle in their hand.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Just kidding about the shrooms. The last time I did LS 50 I thought shrooms would be my secret weapon. I almost DNFd at the half way. That one was my hardest finnish.
All this talk about ultras is making me want to do one again, such a sickness.
Yeah, the shrooms are a hard pass. Appreciate the advice on all this. Bringing smoke into flared-open virgin lung folds is terrible. But at least you control the cotton mouth. Edibles where you get walloped by it unexpectedly at a point you're running low on water is worse. As far as bathroom needs, obviously the world = urinal but as far as dropping a deuce? Do they have port-a-potties at the turnaround point and/or any other stations? It's all about the AM double dump but the more I run towards the afternoon and eat as day goes on, probably of churn increases. Obviously something you can't avoid on the 100 mile races but one step at a time here.

Anyways, my legs were a little tired after yesterday's adrenaline wore off and with rain Sunday, skipped what would normally be my rest day. 5 days on 2 days off should be good. Started off sore but just cruised probably a little faster than Zone 2, ~14.1 miles at somewhat steady 8 minute pace, finished about 1:52. Half Marathon split at about 1:44:15, which is personal best by at least 3 minutes. Pretty stocked since I didn't really set out to do that in the slightest, was actually trying to go slow and just went steady, didn't plod but didn't overly exert myself either. Gotta say, the combo of Zone 2 and intervals over even just a few months has definitely made me substantially faster. Although I'm also just running a lot too.

Oh yeah, btw, if you succumb to the sickness, there are still 16 spots left in the LS50.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
2:30 recovery run on some tired legs from yesterday. Lightish pace, did about 18 miles, not feeling too shabby considering I ran 32 miles the last 2 days at 55 for the last 5 days. Probably ran it faster than I should have but it felt good, pretty much cruised, couple breaks with lights and p*ss stops. 2 days earned rest for sure - good timing with imminent rain.

Reactions: Aruka
Nov 16, 2023
2:30 recovery run on some tired legs from yesterday. Lightish pace, did about 18 miles, not feeling too shabby considering I ran 32 miles the last 2 days at 55 for the last 5 days. Probably ran it faster than I should have but it felt good, pretty much cruised, couple breaks with lights and p*ss stops. 2 days earned rest for sure - good timing with imminent rain.
What race are you training for ? I just did the Avalon 50 out on Catalina in January. It was a blast !

Reactions: One-Off and Kento