The Official OBSF Support Group

ocean7847

Miki Dora status
Jun 23, 2004
the Injured Reserve
…and it's just not the same when there are 60 guys packed in a one-block stretch. I can't help but feel like I'm part of the problem since I'm a transplant, after all. so i've moved onto less crowded spots.
please don’t. Stick to the beach with everyone else, or you’re going to ruin the less crowded spots.

I kid. But not really.

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I guess it depends on which SM county beach. I was running my dog at one last Saturday and it was pretty good conditions. Two guys out. Perfect? Far from it. Looked an awful lot like OB. Shifty peaks, closeouts and some gems. Really good waves and likely a few beatings. Pretty good hike, no parking lot. I've surfed the spot, it's fairly close to OB. Never seen it on a giant day so I'm not sure how it would look. I've been running my dog there the last year and it usually sucks but has it's days.

lived at the beach for a while; now live kauai and was lucky enough to be back for the last week of surf

claiming the san mateo county beachies are remotely like ob is hilarious (i grew up surfing down there, they are basically novelty spots) but otherwise i agree with your assessment

it was gnarly to see the number of people going on the shoulder when someone was paddling from deep the last couple of days. even when those guys get sounded they don't seem to understand. the proliferation of photography and youtube channels that make the beach look better than it is has not helped the crowd situation since i left

with that said the place is 100% special and I miss it. yeah it's either bad or frustrating most of the time but you also have the opportunity to line up a DOH barrel with nobody around and that's a rare thing these days

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
i'll happily take mid-day low tide "loser hours" over surfing on weekends with twice the number of kooks out
That's what I did whenever I could. This was the first day of a new swell, bringing to end a long dry spell, and nobody was around to harass me about going out in such small waves, so I went out. Low tide and mid-week.
Unknown to me, one of my girlfriends had driven out to surprise me and took these four shots of me goofing around on a little one. Think this was in Feb. and you can see what a winter of waves does to the beach there, plus note snow in the clearcuts across the Strait on the Olympic Peninsula.

99Seq1.jpg

99Seq2.jpg

99Seq3.jpg

99Seq4.jpg

In the last pic I was trying to get my fin to release so I could side-slip a bit.
Failed. LOL

Take care.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Sharp Park, Rockaway, Fort Funston, Grey Whale Cove, Montara, a spot down some stairs by an apartment complex on the cliffs in north Pacifica. Ah sh!t, I'm naming spots. There are tons of them. Most have no cams, are usually sh!t, and light up briefly when the right combo of fickle conditions align.

Last edited:
Reactions: PPK96754

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I used to bike down a path to one of the afore mentioned spots when I was a kid. I walked down about six months ago. My phone said it was 33 stories down...........and there were plenty of people on the beach. No one in the water.

Sharp Park, Rockaway, Fort Funston, Grey Whale Cove, Montara, a spot down some stairs by an apartment complex on the cliffs in north Pacifica. Ah sh!t, I'm naming spots. There are tons of them. Most have no cams, are usually sh!t, and light up briefly when the right combo of fickle conditions align.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
SF people:

Anybody got a handyman/affordable painter?

My landlord is trying to charge $350 to patch a couple pin holes and paint 4 square feet

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
SF people:

Anybody got a handyman/affordable painter?

My landlord is trying to charge $350 to patch a couple pin holes and paint 4 square feet
Home Depot + YouTube + Good ole American DIY attitude :shrug:

Or are you not allowed to fix due to renters agreement / liability probs? These days, $350 sounds about right.

Reactions: Boneroni

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
how many holes and how big?

you are allowed to put holes in the wall if they’re reasonable in size and number per CA law. I’ve heard anything smaller than a fist is reasonable in size.

CA loves protecting tenants. Do you have time for small claims court? Probs not if you’re not wanting to DIY either.

note, Im not a lawyer but I’ve never had a landlord manage to withhold anything from my deposits that wasn’t agreed to within the lease at time of move in.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
It's a couple of holes from screws (4), one got a little bigger when I removed the screws. A patch of paint came up when I removed the mirror. All together, it's smaller a few holes and a patch of pain smaller than a dollar bill. And it's behind the door. I thought he was getting the one wall painted, but he's doing everything above the char rail line.

Dude wants me to cover the cost of the painter repainting the ENTIRE bathroom because the high gloss paint won't blend. I think his contractors are over sellling him and he doesn't give 2 fucks because he can pass that cost on to me. Anyone who was out of pocket on it would just blend it as best they could and call it a day.

Meanwhile, he can write off any of the expenses while I can't.

He's a nice guy and I think he honestly just wants his place to show well, but I think the contractors are fucking him, and he has no interest in arguing.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Yep, tell him it’s not your problem to fix and to prove it if he thinks otherwise.

Remind him he has 21 days to return your deposit from date of vacancy and which of his deductions you agree to have taken from it and where he shall send the check.

small claims is a pain but at least you can threaten seeking damages which makes the amount he wants from you seem less appealing if he loses.

Reactions: $kully

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
told him that I'd chip in $100 but I'm not responsible for the cost of painting the ceiling and 3 other walls with no damage.

He also agreed to give me 24 hours to find another quote, then called me to say that they already started working. The contractors are doing a full scale reno of another unit in the building.
Again, nice dude, but his 85 year old mom that lives in the building is the one who wears the pants. She's a little more ruthless. He's just the nice, English speaking Front of the House guy.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
told him that I'd chip in $100 but I'm not responsible for the cost of painting the ceiling and 3 other walls with no damage.
yep. this is the solution. him telling you to get another quote is an avoidant strategy and to get you to agree to having the extra stuff addressed.

you don’t need to get a quote to paint things bc you’re not responsible for painting.