The Official OBSF Support Group

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Anyone got some interesting boards on order for fall?

Over the past couple months I added (6'0, 180lbs):

6'0 Happy Everyday - For OBSF days where its decent size but not steep, beefed up for paddling power

6'0 Sharpeye Inferno72 - probably the best board I've had in a while. Instantly clicked on the first surf and have been on it pretty much ever since

Looking to add:

7'2 Padillac - Don't have a proper mini gun in my quiver as of now

Mid-length?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

6'0 Happy Everyday - For OBSF days where its decent size but not steep, beefed up for paddling power

6'0 Sharpeye Inferno72 - probably the best board I've had in a while. Instantly clicked on the first surf and have been on it pretty much ever since

Looking to add:

Mid-length?
Haha, I literally went with both those boards for fall. The IF72 is DA with a round tail though.

If you checkout the YOLOs post I picked up an 8'2 CI pink gun. I've got 8'4 and 9'0 Sicarios on order.

I also ordered a 7'2 mid-length album for bigger waves... no idea what that will end up looking like.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I wonder if that was the January swell this year. I heard he was farther North and ripping.

Always funny to see someone ride a 5'11" while everyone else rides 8'0"s
IIRC he was up there during that dreamy run of swell I surfed with him in the Moraga zone. Was funny cause he was sitting on the inside didn't appear to be get any but apparently that was the spot to be. Also surfed with Dane a few weeks after (have a feeling Bobby tipped him off) and didn't see him catch a wave for a solid hour.

• Haha
Reactions: bluengreen and kvg

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas

Looking to add:

Mid-length?

I grabbed a 6'3 CI Twin Pin for good inner bar days and the Hess' I posted in the quiver thread (6'1 Traveler and a 7'2 Traveler Round Pin). I'm feeling dialed in for this season. Maybe missing a step up between the 6'3 and 7'2, but I don't mind jumping into the 7 foot range once proper long period swells start lighting up the outside bar.

Last edited:

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I'm hemming and hawing over ordering a ~6'9" for an upcoming trip. Thinner and more foiled than a typical OB board, though it'd be fun on the right day there.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
What's up with that place? Drove by on our way home from up north a couple of weeks ago and it was like that. Then fifteen minutes down the road was another beach at least twice the size with only a couple guys out.
Linda Mar is a designated Safespace. All beaches and coves North and South are designated kill zones.
:shark:

Reactions: bluengreen

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
LM can be fun with very specific conditions re: wind, swell period, bars, crowd. Montara to the south is sharky, heavy beach break. North is Rockaway, which is also sharky, fickle and relatively heavy in the fall/ winter. If you are a beginner/intermediate or old timer with a quiver of 3-fin 9'0s, this is your spot. It provides refuge from sharks and heavy water.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
LM can be fun with very specific conditions re: wind, swell period, bars, crowd. Montara to the south is sharky, heavy beach break. North is Rockaway, which is also sharky, fickle and relatively heavy in the fall/ winter. If you are a beginner/intermediate or old timer with a quiver of 3-fin 9'0s, this is your spot. It provides refuge from sharks and heavy water.
I lived up there late 90s. Montara was my fav in that zone. Was always surprised how empty you could get it.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Anyone have a go-to ding repair spot near OB?

There is a guy on Rivera that pops up every couple weeks with an easy up and some racks that always looks busy. He could be worth a go, but he's never there when I think of him and I'm always in the middle of something when he is.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
So the sharks don't go to Lindamar? Or just that's there's more fixings on offer there so your chances are better?

Hey Bob, you can't fix your own dings?

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Jon Graves is good. There's also the Avenue 34 guy, who I follow on the 'gram but have never sent a board to.

One-Off, IDK. Lindamar is so crowded, it maybe keeps them away. I just hear about more sightings at Montara and Rockaway.

Reactions: Yewstreet

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I've used the Ave 34 guy and Aqua. Both good - Ave 34 faster. Dropped two boards off on a Friday and had them ready by Sunday afternoon

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I lived up there late 90s. Montara was my fav in that zone. Was always surprised how empty you could get it.
Once while there, a Gray Whale popped up pretty close to me and I think one of my nine lives went with it.

So the sharks don't go to Lindamar?
Saw one between me and the sand once. Looked like a small one, but like an iceberg.....

PS
From bluengreen...doesn't look too "dolphinish" to me but I have seen dolphins with some odd crenulations on their dorsal before:

1665613489855.png

PPS
I would have been sad to have missed that wave after seeing that fin.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluengreen

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
What's the Ave 34th guy's account?
[ DM the phone number to user. Don't post it here. ]
Used him quite a lot when I was pulling rail guards 4 times through the tail of my Parmy and blowing twin fin boxes but that was a few years ago.
He started great work, quick and fair prices and worked his way to not so quick, expensive and sand throughs.

these days :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator: