***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I just put a deposit down for one, and you were definitely inspiring me to get one :) it's meant to fill an (imaginary) niche between my log which I barely ever ride and my grovelers. Logging to me is only fun when it's tiny and lined up, and grovelers need some sort of shape to the wave to start working. So maybe the Outlier is the solution for shin to waist high mushburgers
Look forward to hearing how you go. Standing forward is fun on the mushy, sectiony waves with the boards belly and soft rails forward and then the wide tail keeps the speed in cutbacks and foam climbs.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
He actually seems like a really nice if earnest guy and is a pretty decent logger but yeah the way he always tries to drop knee even tiny boards is a bit weird (& limiting). He stopped reviewing the shorter boards after a few episodes.

He’s got way into foiling and has a vlog going on his progress with that ( the lift journal ). He mentions in one of those how he’s had to learn not to lift his back foot in turns to keep the right pressure on the foil so maybe that will help his surfing too.
I was wondering what became of him. He was on a roll there with his reviews and then crickets.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Watched that. Funny that he says he's a longboarder and a hull rider but he surfs kinda like a shortboarder and doesn't really use the middle of the board the way you'd think somone who rides hulls would.

I have a 7'0 Outlier in the cart with the fin setup that Trip Freeman was using in the Real video, a 7.5" Christiansen FCS2 and some Carver side bites. He was warned about going with too much fin, although you guys seems to like a little (or a lot) more.

I still think it might be too much of a fat board for me which is why I haven't pulled the trigger, that and the almost 1,000 with fins and shipping despite the sale for a grovel board.

I've got a 7'0 copy of a Takayama Howard Mini with the addition of double concave through the fins that goes pretty well when there's a wave and I've made it work on smaller days but it's not optimal for those by any means. Just not sure if I want to drop a grand to fill this niche.
We are all different and one man's magic carpet is another man's dog in surfing as we know so can't blame you for hesitating.
For a lightweight I reckon he did well on the board...there's sections where you could see the innate speed in the board and it's large amount of foam didn't seem to hinder him. Keep us posted if you do pull the trigger. They've taken them off the market here (all the CJ board range) so ours are definitely keepers.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
agree. TPH looks fun. Would like to see some footy of the twin version in action.
Just went down a youtube rabbit hole and watched some CI TPH and CI Mid Twin vids.
Interesting comment by the Surf Soon reviewer saying bascially: I get the feeling a lot of people who bought the CI Mid were disappointed and TPH is a response to that, a more user-friendly ML.
Also noted that CI suggests sizing Mid (2+1) 10" above your height for a good surfer. I'd probably be more likely to try something like 5-7" (6'6-6'8)

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
You have a NPJ?? Duo or ?
6-8, 2+1, soft channels, slight beak
I traded an asym townsend for it. Not because i really wanted to but because my buddy was in love with the townsend. I havent ridden it much, i screwed up my knee not long after i got it. Its very flat and feels suited to smaller or flatter waves. I had an amazing session on it a couple years ago at my local so I know its a good one.20230716_152244.jpg
20230716_152305.jpg

20230716_152434.jpg

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Unbelievably sh!t. I thought Onboard generally did good work, but that's a shocker. Bad batch of blanks, maybe?
The sander (one of) from the Surman factory was surfing this morning and I totally forgot to ask him if they were glassing the stock white TPH's or just the coloured ones as I have seen the TPHs in their factory.
I just look at that board as standard CI glassing/blank performance.