The never-ending thread about nothing.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
how I know good surf is around the corner

1 My Pink Ladies, aka Hurricane Lillies, aka Naked Ladies, aka Amaryllis belladonna, have all flowered and are going dormant till the first rains wake them up

2 The tame blackberries are all fruiting....mmmm, Wild Treasure blackberries

3 Apples have started to ripen. Had two apple (mini-dwarf trees about 8-10 ft tall), the "fresh-eating" apple died in the drought, and the "keeper" maintained.

4 Have just pickled another liter of green beans. Sweetie pie has asked if she can give away one of the jars "I'm tired of green beans."

5 Clear sunrises and red flag warnings in the hills

6 The hawks are back. Got a snap of one the other day. Now I need it to get the squirrel who ravaged my pear tree.

7 On my way to work by bike, an urban industrial pot farm somewhere near Folsom and 14th is nearing harvest. Am sure I would test positive now after passing through that scent cloud of green.

8 Pineapple guava, aka Chilean guava, aka Feijoa sellowiana, is ripe and starting to fall. Not as great as the true guava, but, for a cool climate like SF, a bari bit of tropical yumminess.

tried to delete this part, but.....

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1 Some street repair near work has left some amazingly bad road surfaces. Saw a push-scooter guy go down hard this AM. Ouchies!

2 Saw a meteor flash (Taurid? Draconid?) last night as I was closing the bedroom draperies. Through a window and city light? Must have been extra bright.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
ow I know good surf is around the corner

1 My Pink Ladies, aka Hurricane Lillies, aka Naked Ladies, aka Amaryllis belladonna, have all flowered and are going dormant till the first rains wake them up
2 The tame blackberries are all fruiting....mmmm, Wild Treasure blackberries
3 Apples have started to ripen. Had two apple (mini-dwarf trees about 8-10 ft tall), the "fresh-eating" apple died in the drought, and the "keeper" maintained.
4 Have just pickled another liter of green beans. Sweetie pie has asked if she can give away one of the jars "I'm tired of green beans."
5 Clear sunrises and red flag warnings in the hills
6 The hawks are back. Got a snap of one the other day. Now I need it to get the squirrel who ravaged my pear tree

1. My plumeria just started to bloom. Latest since I've had it.
2. In McCloud last week, ate wild blackberries along the river instead of my energy bar.
3. In McCloud last week, picked and ate wild (planted long ago) apples along the river instead of the food in the cooler and got a really bad stomach ache.
4. I pickled green beans several months ago but I can't for the life of me open the mason jar. Not worth the price of 1 use channel locks. I will keep trying.
6. 1 hummingbird returned to the feeders about 6 weeks ago, now there are about a dozen. Less than last year at this point.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1. My plumeria just started to bloom. Latest since I've had it.
2. In McCloud last week, ate wild blackberries along the river instead of my energy bar.
3. In McCloud last week, picked and ate wild (planted long ago) apples along the river instead of the food in the cooler and got a really bad stomach ache.
4. I pickled green beans several months ago but I can't for the life of me open the mason jar. Not worth the price of 1 use channel locks. I will keep trying.
6. 1 hummingbird returned to the feeders about 6 weeks ago, now there are about a dozen. Less than last year at this point.
1 Mine bloom in spring when they wake up. But they are indoor and in pots.

2 Wild blackberries...them and huckleberries are my fave.

3 Too much malic acid in the tummy will do that. How many did you scarf on an empty belly?

4 Remove canning ring and plunge a screwdriver into center of the lid, then flex it off easy-peasy.

6 "Our" humming birds are going after the pineapple sage that is blooming. This summer they were sipping from the green bean blossoms...first time I've seen that.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
There were lots of apple trees with tons of apples all over the area. I'd pick one, take a bite, toss it, pick another, 2 bites, toss it, etc. They weren't very ripe. I don't know, bites added up = ±4 apples and a few handfuls blackberries were the only foods inside me until dinner at 6pm.

I also remembered an old post, R3W mentioned that river is sketchy and to wade with careful footing. 5 minutes in I slipped on a rock and went face first into the river, swamped my waders and had to hike back to my car and change, thaw, regroup and continue on :D

I would give that spot an A+. The road in is just bad enough to keep out the kind of people you wouldn't want to camp next to , and there are big open campsites with picnic tables and fire pits, flushable toilets for a mere $10/night. I've read there are also cherry and pear trees and other fruiting/nut trees from an old settlement, old structures, and if you get on the nature preserve, it is about as pretty as a place can get during Fall in N. CA.