The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Booties suck if they have any bit of extra length at the toe/ too big; catching those things on your board popping up and folding your toe is awful. Scared one day it will be more than just ruining the wave... Which is why i like the needs, they fit my skinny feet perfectly snug and my toes are touching the end. hoods adon't bother me at all anymore and the hearing loss is well worth the additional warmth and headaches avoided. Gloves just suck all around but frozen locked up hands are pretty terrible too

Reactions: Bman76 and ReForest

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I've gotten to love hooded 4/3s as they are so much warmer. I dread putting on my 5/4 but don't mind a hooded 4/3. Also don't mind boots. Gloves and mittens do suck. I bought some 1.5mil gloves which are nice for the 3 or 4 surfs a year where they are appropriate- when the air is in the 30s or 40s but the water is still in the mid 50s. They worked Monday. But I suspect next time I surf I'll be reaching for the 3 mils.

The hearing loss with ear plugs and hoods is a feature not a bug for me. Cuts down on the mindless chatter and general idiocy in the lineup.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I dont know how east coast surfers use 5mm or 7mm booties. I bet its so hard to find your footing on a new board. Also, the gloves are so tricky! I think you have to roll the sleeve and then roll it down, right? It was damn near impossible trying to grab my 4mm sleeve with a 3mm gloves to try and pull it over the glove!

Reactions: hal9000

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Try it with a 5 mil suit and 7 mil mitts.

The trick is to roll both sleeves up first. Then put the glove or mitt on your dominant hand first then use that to roll the wetsuit over the other glove once you get it on.

Yes, it sucks but doable.

5 and even 7 mil booties don't bug me especially but I tend to ride the same boards all the time so if I get a new one it's unlikely my first surf is going to be in mid February when it's freezing out.

I dont know how east coast surfers use 5mm or 7mm booties. I bet its so hard to find your footing on a new board. Also, the gloves are so tricky! I think you have to roll the sleeve and then roll it down, right? It was damn near impossible trying to grab my 4mm sleeve with a 3mm gloves to try and pull it over the glove!

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
boot thickness bothers me. thats why i moved to florida. boot thickness isnt nearly as bad as glove thickness though. gloves are awful.

+1 on rolling up both sleeves before putting any gloves on

Reactions: ReForest

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Does anyone who's a little larger have a Buell? I'm 6'1 210 and bought an XL chest zip. But it feels like they didn't scale up the opening. it barely gets over my hips and feels like im going to rip it to get it around shoulders. have had plenty of chest zips never struggled like this.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Rolling sleeves is harder than it sounds because with mitts on it has to be rolled, not folded over and it always kind of wants to fold over. if its rolled you can unroll it with your mittened hand, good luck gripping that wetsuit edge to pull it over if its folded. The absolute best super cold water tip is this - thermos full of almost hot water - Slosh some in your boots n mitts and empty em before you put them on, makes the experience of walking over ice frozen sand to the waves toasty.

• Wow

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Rolling sleeves is harder than it sounds because with mitts on it has to be rolled, not folded over and it always kind of wants to fold over. if its rolled you can unroll it with your mittened hand, good luck gripping that wetsuit edge to pull it over if its folded. The absolute best super cold water tip is this - thermos full of almost hot water - Slosh some in your boots n mitts and empty em before you put them on, makes the experience of walking over ice frozen sand to the waves toasty.
gotta unroll slowly and carefully to stop that. I do always feel like that last bit doesn't get as far over the glove as you would like because you've got gloves on, leading to higher chance of having to redo it in the water after a spill. I'll sit there and redo it 3 or 4 times till it gets where i like it.

• Wow

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I think it's just word of mouth. Haven't heard many bad things about them
Here’s the deal. A few years ago they came out with a good wetsuit. Yamamoto 39 rubber.

No technoblubber, no fireflamefaggotliner, no titanium fog buster fart shield.

Just straight Yamamoto 39 rubber built well, minimal logos, competitive price.

Fast forward a few years and they still are making the exact same fuckking suits but now with #40 rubber.

And they’re still just as good or better than everything else out there.

As my O’Neills and Isuruses have crapped out due to use they get replaced with Feral. The transformation is almost complete.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Pretty good. Wore it the past 3 days in a row.
The CONS are the arms pits are a little loose (not exactly sure why) so i got a little arm pit red rub going on. Also, the neck is like a turtle neck and got bunched up in the back and caused some rubbing on the right side of my neck.

The PROS are that it was $60.00 bucks. Its a full 3mm but feels thinner (like a 2mm) and its stretchy. We'll see how long it lasts.
A poster said in another thread that Buell suits are garbage. He was right. Any one of those things in that first paragraph are unacceptable.

Turtle71

Nep status
Jan 19, 2010
NE FL
I saw where someone said Feral and Crooked are made in the same factory. Is this true?

The suits look similar side by side, online at least, but I can see some small differences.