The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Good info. Thanks.
PS. What size did you go with? Large? Do you think maybe your ordered too small?
LS. Most wetsuits tend to fit me better when I'm on the upper end of the size chart recs.

The general fit wasn't an issue for me. It was mostly the seams I had an issue with.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
LS. Most wetsuits tend to fit me better when I'm on the upper end of the size chart recs.

The general fit wasn't an issue for me. It was mostly the seams I had an issue with.
Thanks!

Reactions: jkb
Aug 29, 2019
only good there is.
Any specifics why it’s so good? What other suits have you had recently, and how is this one better? Size and your dims? Temps you use it in? Thanks.

Was looking at these and of course they are in the upper end for price and hard to find deals. Perhaps because they are so good? Cheers.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Any specifics why it’s so good? What other suits have you had recently, and how is this one better? Size and your dims? Temps you use it in? Thanks.

Was looking at these and of course they are in the upper end for price and hard to find deals. Perhaps because they are so good? Cheers.
6/5. They'll last two seasons and then they are done. I just buy new every other year. 41F water and 32F air:eek:
I have no expertice on wetsuits really. I just wanna stay warm. My friend got some boutique brand (Matuse?), but it didn't help. When the ass gets ripped you are doomed.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ReForest and germs

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I had a c-skins 3/2 many years ago. It felt like a higher-end steamer from one of the big brands - Rip/Quik/Bong/Xcel. Made in Sheico factory if I recall.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
those who've had em, is the yammy rubber in a Feral a lot warmer than normal? ie if I normally wear a 4/3 for dawn patrol winter in the big brands (Vissla, Xcel) can I get away with a 3/2 Feral, or should I still get a 4/3?

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
My feral 3/2 is going on its fourth season and when new, was as warm as the excel 4/3 I had at the time. Even now it still does a good job protecting against the wind

Reactions: tedshred5

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
IMO Feral’s vulnerability to wind is limited to heavy, cold winds. In Central California, the wind isn’t strong/cold enough to make a difference. In fact, it’s noticeably warmer than my standard suits of same thickness.

but once you get into northern latitudes with 20+ mph offshores and colder air… I notice it. I had a 5/3 feral that I used in the northeast that was absolutely frigid when the wind was howling offshore. A standard 5/4 with a smoothie on the other hand was significantly warmer.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Is this pretty standard for Yamamto rubber? Warm but not in frigid Northeast sort of conditions?

I'm debating some sort of Yamamto 4/3 (Isirus, Feral or similar) or something like an O'neill mutant or similar for specifically those conditions. My older Xcels Drylocks were good for these sort of conditions but the newer ones are leaky and crappy so any benefit from the wind protection is defeated by sitting in a pool of cold water.

IMO Feral’s vulnerability to wind is limited to heavy, cold winds. In Central California, the wind isn’t strong/cold enough to make a difference. In fact, it’s noticeably warmer than my standard suits of same thickness.

but once you get into northern latitudes with 20+ mph offshores and colder air… I notice it. I had a 5/3 feral that I used in the northeast that was absolutely frigid when the wind was howling offshore. A standard 5/4 with a smoothie on the other hand was significantly warmer.

• Haha
Reactions: Northern_Shores

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Is this pretty standard for Yamamto rubber? Warm but not in frigid Northeast sort of conditions?

I'm debating some sort of Yamamto 4/3 (Isirus, Feral or similar) or something like an O'neill mutant or similar for specifically those conditions. My older Xcels Drylocks were good for these sort of conditions but the newer ones are leaky and crappy so any benefit from the wind protection is defeated by sitting in a pool of cold water.
I don’t think it’s the Yamamoto that’s the issue, it’s the lack of a smoothie when winds are super strong.

FWIW My experience is fairly limited with Yamato in those Conditions. Would be curious to hear from any yammie guys who live in NE.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb and sdsrfr