The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
any recent reviews of matuse tumo?

tried on a dante and it was really comfy. inner shoulders and detached zipper deal breaker though. the tumo has a typical slant zip from what I understand but they didn't have any to try on.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
any recent reviews of matuse tumo?

tried on a dante and it was really comfy. inner shoulders and detached zipper deal breaker though. the tumo has a typical slant zip from what I understand but they didn't have any to try on.
Did you try at Mitch's? the co-founder Matt is the shop manager there.

not tried a tumo, but I see a lot of those around. my current backup rn is a 3mil Scipio that's 3 years old. Same slant chest zip. It's fine, and was a very comfy, good suit. At some point, it shrunk from a XL to practically an L now, and is too short on me now. I must've left it out in the sun by mistake or something.

The Dante with the detached zipper is meant to be really easy to get in/out. My neighbor (in his 50's) loves his hooded 4/3. Tempted to try one since Isurus is out of my size. I have an old s/s 2mil suit that I've abused and it's very comfy but the neck is definitely stretched out now. I still use it in the summer.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Yeah I think that's who I talked to. Curly hair?

He said the dantes run small and recommended an XL which fit great. fvck am I going to have to start riding christensens and tudors?

The dante is supposed to compete with the mid tier suits and the tumo is warmer and will hold up better according to him. big price difference though

I can't find much online but I do see a fair amount in the water as well.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah I think that's who I talked to. Curly hair?

He said the dantes run small and recommended an XL which fit great. fvvk am I going to have to start riding christensens and tudors?

The dante is supposed to compete with the mid tier suits and the tumo is warmer and will hold up better according to him. big price difference though

I can't find much online but I do see a fair amount in the water as well.
no I think that's Carter. matt is kinda "husky" and has a light/grey buzz. He (gasp) bodyboards.
Yeah, I wonder if you got a thicker Dante if it would be like a tumo/other brand. my 2mil is thin and is more like a 1mil at this point!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I feel like I see a lot less Matuse in the water than I did a few years ago.
It’s probably pretty localized to a handful of breaks. Funny, this winter I was thinking I’ve seen a lot of the newer ones in the water since the fall. Maybe they just had stock when most of the other bigger brands didn’t.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I agree with that. I actually just overheard two people talking about getting a fresh matuse this weekend in the water. I feel like 5 years ago or so I saw them a ton in the OB/PL area.

Feb 3, 2021
SRFACE 5/4 hooded (if in Europe) the wetsuit is pretty good and economic. Is the first one i buy for deep winter (cause I move to the UK) and it covers me perfectly over winter.

Reactions: Aruka

KPindaOC

OTF status
Nov 25, 2012
Anybody ever try Quicksilvers "Everyday Sessions" suit?
I bought a 3/2 and have been comfy in it all winter here in North LA since I run warm. Very solid suit for the price IMO and the sizing fits me well. A little slower drying than my Xcel Infiniti 4/3 but flexible, warm, and minimal leaking. Slant zip is nice although I wish it stayed connected rather than fully detaching. Probably 50-60 sessions since I bought it in November. Will probably buy more when sales start.

Reactions: Havoc
Aug 8, 2006
OC, CA
I bought a 3/2 and have been comfy in it all winter here in North LA since I run warm. Very solid suit for the price IMO and the sizing fits me well. A little slower drying than my Xcel Infiniti 4/3 but flexible, warm, and minimal leaking. Slant zip is nice although I wish it stayed connected rather than fully detaching. Probably 50-60 sessions since I bought it in November. Will probably buy more when sales start.
Cool, thanks for the feedback

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Finally sent in my O'Neill Hyperfreak Hooded 4/3 that the wife got me for christmas. I shuved the suit in one of the self taping boxes at the post office and it barely fit. Anyways... it got there in about 3 days. O'Neill contacted me and offered me a 5/4 hooded hyperfreak and told me it was an upgrade and a more expensive suit (they didnt have anymore 4/3 hooded hyperfreak). I took the offer and then asked if i could have my old suit back (because Billabong offered this to me). They said no.. its against their policy and they are just going to recycle it. lol. Kind of a waste in my opinion but i wasnt complaining.

I will report back on how the 5/4 feels. I'm hoping its nice and stretchy with more warmth. Im NOT hoping that its thicker, stiffer and overheats my organs.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Finally sent in my O'Neill Hyperfreak Hooded 4/3 that the wife got me for christmas. I shuved the suit in one of the self taping boxes at the post office and it barely fit. Anyways... it got there in about 3 days. O'Neill contacted me and offered me a 5/4 hooded hyperfreak and told me it was an upgrade and a more expensive suit (they didnt have anymore 4/3 hooded hyperfreak). I took the offer and then asked if i could have my old suit back (because Billabong offered this to me). They said no.. its against their policy and they are just going to recycle it. lol. Kind of a waste in my opinion but i wasnt complaining.

I will report back on how the 5/4 feels. I'm hoping its nice and stretchy with more warmth. Im NOT hoping that its thicker, stiffer and overheats my organs.
5/4 in socal?

Reactions: rowjimmytour