The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Isurus is just a class unto itself. Technohyperfreakbutterpatrol goodness. Worth every penny.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
well the tape fell apart and it leaked but they took care of me. based on the amount of people who swear by them I'll consider it an anomaly

but damn it's literally the most comfy suit I've ever had, hands down

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Unless you pee some time of petroleum based awfulness, which I'm not ruling out and would almost expect with @20W-50 and blood as well as most 20W adjacent folks, that sounds pretty damn anomalous.

Also, since he's mentioned here, go 20Weight!!!! The Rock-2-Rock paddleboard race is tomorrow. Kick ass, Pendejo!

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I picked up the psychotech 5.5 or whatever this winter to replace my 4 year old Isurus 5/4 because I had heard good things about it and the prices on Isurus have gotten ridiculous

Compared to my isurus (when it was new) the oneill is probably - just about as comfy/stretchy, a tad less warm, soaks way more water

It's definitely a good suit and worth it's price but it did leave me feeling like the cost difference with isurus is justified and if I could do it again I'd probably just buy another isurus

Reactions: sh3

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I picked up the psychotech 5.5 or whatever this winter to replace my 4 year old Isurus 5/4 because I had heard good things about it and the prices on Isurus have gotten ridiculous

Compared to my isurus (when it was new) the oneill is probably - just about as comfy/stretchy, a tad less warm, soaks way more water

It's definitely a good suit and worth it's price but it did leave me feeling like the cost difference with isurus is justified and if I could do it again I'd probably just buy another isurus
Buying another winter suit(2 suit system)with Yammie rubber between Feral and Isurus right now. Having a bit of sticker shock on the Isurus, worth the extra couple of hundred?

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Buying another winter suit(2 suit system)with Yammie rubber between Feral and Isurus right now. Having a bit of sticker shock on the Isurus, worth the extra couple of hundred?
I havent tried a Feral so I can't really compare them. I looked at them but I was confused as to whether I'd want the 654 or 543 and turned off by the lack of smoothskin

All I can really say is that if you can afford the isurus you probably won't be disappointed, but if you can't there are cheaper suits that can also get the job done.

Reactions: mundus

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I still love my Isurus suits. Comfiest suits I’ve worn. Their LT zipperless fit me better than the Feral LT chestzip so I returned the feral.

I saw an Insatagram ad that DaKine is doing Yamamoto rubber now. Maybe they’re going more upmarket and that’s why we saw them clearing out their inventory last season with deep discounts

Last edited:
Reactions: mundus

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I used both this last winter in 4/3s. Now 8 months in: I dont notice any difference warmth-wise. The Isurus feels more flexible. But the feral dries faster (no lining at all). Feral’s customer service is far superior should you need it. I wouldn’t spend the extra money next time around.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
At the price of the Isirus I would probably spend a bit more and get one of the custom japanese suits from Still blue. A few of my pals have em and they swear by them.

Reactions: jkb

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I still love my Isurus suits. Comfiest suits I’ve worn. Their LT zipperless fit me better than the Feral LT chestzip so I returned the feral.

I saw an Insatagram ad that DaKine is doing Yamamoto rubber now. Maybe they’re going more upmarket and that’s why we saw them clearing out their inventory last season with deep discounts
Them things are $580 :oops:

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Have not seen any of Japanese custom brands making a hooded 5 or 6 mil.
Still blue is a NY based company - I only know people that have hooded 5 mils...doesnt seem worth it for a 4/3 or 3/2 moneywise. I go the absolutely opposite way and have been buying needs essential suits for the last few years...get two seasons out of a $300 winter suit has worked for me...but if I was to pay $700 for a suit I would go custom.

• Wow
Reactions: ehiunno

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Still blue is a NY based company - I only know people that have hooded 5 mils...doesnt seem worth it for a 4/3 or 3/2 moneywise. I go the absolutely opposite way and have been buying needs essential suits for the last few years...get two seasons out of a $300 winter suit has worked for me...but if I was to pay $700 for a suit I would go custom.
Nothing on the website, perhaps a true custom?