The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Good idea to soak an unrinsed suit in a freshwater bucket all day if no time to rinse properly? It's what I've been doing but occurs to me that maybe being submerged in a mix of fresh and salty water all day could be bad overall...?
no, it’s not great for them. But if it’s your only option what are you going to do?

Reactions: chilly1

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I just got a new volcom 4/3. Soft like butter. Fits good. $275. I got 18 months out of my vissla 4/3 so am pretty stoked on that.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Still can't believe no one has drunk yolo'ed a JJF wetsuit.
Sure, the 3/2s are $750, but a 1.5mil top is only $270!
#valueproposition

Stock sizes... but they aren't made until you order. :ROFLMAO:
"This wetsuit is made to order and available only to Florence members. It should take 6-8 weeks for your wetsuit to be made by hand and shipped to your doorstep. Because each suit is made to order, all sales are final.
Additionally, due to each suit being shipped one at a time, each order will have a $50 shipping cost added to its total. If you're unsure on sizing, contact us and we'll be able to help you out."

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Tried Matuse booties this winter. This is their first year they've made them, and for my preferences, I'd say they nailed it. No strap, lightweight, internal split toe, good traction without being sticky. Says 3mil, but feels thinner like 2mil- still plenty warm for our harsh SD winter. I am an 11 in dress shoes / 11.5 or 12 in sneakers, and their 11 fits me perfect. Only initial concern when I tried them on was it might be a tiny bit roomy around ankle (without a strap), but has never been an issue: I've yet to have any heel lift or flushing. So far, holding up well after one season... still look new.
Might be the best bootie I've tried.
YMMV. I know people have had mixed experiences with Matuse, but I like the idea of supporting a local brand and I'm stocked on these.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Tried Matuse booties this winter. This is their first year they've made them, and for my preferences, I'd say they nailed it. No strap, lightweight, internal split toe, good traction without being sticky. Says 3mil, but feels thinner like 2mil- still plenty warm for our harsh SD winter. I am an 11 in dress shoes / 11.5 or 12 in sneakers, and their 11 fits me perfect. Only initial concern when I tried them on was it might be a tiny bit roomy around ankle (without a strap), but has never been an issue: I've yet to have any heel lift or flushing. So far, holding up well after one season... still look new.
YMMV. I know people have had mixed experiences with Matuse, but I like the idea of supporting a local brand and I'm stocked on these.
Thanks for posting this. I considered getting a pair because they looks like a boot i would like. My oneill have holes and leak and pretty much just block the wind. lol. Its time for a new pair, so i think i'll get the matuse.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
How would you compare the bulkiness to other boots

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I can assure you guys, they serve non trendy folks here in the epicenter of hipness too. But if you show up with booties that stink you might be SOL.