The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
yeah, or get a OTR stock size JJF suit from FlorenceMarineX! LOL But isn't that similar to what others pay for their custom Japanese suits from cyber, etc? I'm not in the market- love my isurus- just curious if anyone had tried a custom from that brand.
That 7 till 8 is way too expensive for what you get, IMO.

4/3 Cyber is $600 with all the extras I add (smoothskin, fuzzy liner, a couple of extra stress patches, neck gasket).

A barebones comp style 3/2 full is $430.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Saw an ad for 7till8 custom version of a convertible “mutant” in fancy Japanese rubber. How’s the quality of 7till8? Had anyone tried one?

The quality is fine. I bought a jacket with the premium rubber. 2/2 short sleeve/ 3/2 full suit at the big factory sale they had one time.

The problem I had with them is the fit was slightly weird. Torso slightly to long. I liked the suits though. Custom fitting would solve that issue. The jacket get's the least use, so it's still going strong. I liked the rubber on that one a lot.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I am ALMOST trolling sbd here but...

really, neoprene has names?

That's a clever way to charge more. :roflmao:
techweenies gobble up all the marketing semen up. your $700 dollar suit may be marginally warmer and durable than one a 1/3 of the price. i'll buy 3 of the lower quality suits for your 1 and they'll end up lasting at least twice as long

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
techweenies gobble up all the marketing semen up. your $700 dollar suit may be marginally warmer and durable than one a 1/3 of the price. i'll buy 3 of the lower quality suits for your 1 and they'll end up lasting at least twice as long
What's even better is when people drop that kind of coin for 61 degree water.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
They also love

Recycled (I’m stopping global warming)
Limestone based (oil bad!)
Water-based glues (all around safer for the environment and the body. Like Elmer’s that they used to eat when they were kids. )

BTW aren’t you a tech bro?
I run a small business that is e-based. Never was a corporate tech bro wanker, I despise people too much to work in an environment like that :monkey:

It's like that in every circle of hobbies, the latest and most groundbreaking tech is rarely so. wetsuits have definitely come a long way even in the last few years, but the highest tier stuff is never the best value. ordered some dakine suits the other day, we'll see how they go in the next few months.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
But you are a tech bro. That’s what’s allowed you to become so deeply involved in crypto.
more so that I spend a lot of time on the computer so it's easy to intersperse research with working. I denounced crypto until the end of last year. bought some BTC around 20k to purchase something, forgot about it for a few weeks and went to send the payment and it was double what I put in :roflmao: dove in and after some brief research started to go balls deep :monkey:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
more so that I spend a lot of time on the computer so it's easy to intersperse research with working. I denounced crypto until the end of last year. bought some BTC around 20k to purchase something, forgot about it for a few weeks and went to send the payment and it was double what I put in :roflmao: dove in and after some brief research started to go balls deep :monkey:
What's your e-biz?

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
That 7 till 8 is way too expensive for what you get, IMO.

4/3 Cyber is $600 with all the extras I add (smoothskin, fuzzy liner, a couple of extra stress patches, neck gasket).

A barebones comp style 3/2 full is $430.
The amount of smooth skin you can get on a Cyber looks really good, that would definitely make a difference. I had a couple of nearly all smooth skins in the 80s and they were warm, but they are not made like that anymore. Now most companies only offer a chest or back patch in which case other things become more significant.

How does the neck gasket work?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The amount of smooth skin you can get on a Cyber looks really good, that would definitely make a difference. I had a couple of nearly all smooth skins in the 80s and they were warm, but they are not made like that anymore. Now most companies only offer a chest or back patch in which case other things become more significant.

How does the neck gasket work?
There is a thin initial flap you pull over your head and snap it to the chest panel before pulling the main flap over and zipping it. There are a couple of small weep holes that get rid of any water that travels between those flaps.

It works really well.