The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@jkb chest zip
purple is a fav ;)
The smooth skin on Cyber is the most durable I've had
about a month or two ago I hit my fin above the elbow hard enough to break the skin ( I was going to get a pic)
with no damage to the rubber (2mil)

Reactions: jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
@jkb chest zip
purple is a fav ;)
The smooth skin on Cyber is the most durable I've had
about a month or two ago I hit my fin above the elbow hard enough to break the skin ( I was going to get a pic)
with no damage to the rubber (2mil)
It's the one thing I don't like about these new suits........the zipper.

Zipper is smaller than the old ones and hard to thread. I almost always have an issue getting it on.

I'm considering going back to the zipperless (velcro) on my next one.

Reactions: need 4 speed

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

Zipper is smaller than the old ones and hard to thread. I almost always have an issue getting it on.

I like the zipperless the most myself.

I was very fond of the fancy Hurley Phantom 202 and 303. Those were among my best ever once they were on. But one YUGE advantage of the xcels is, like you say, you just yank the zipper across and you're done. Any pre-surf giddyness or haste just compounded getting the Hurleys threaded on perfectly. Got better with time/practice but not really sure why they did it that way.

Reactions: jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I like the zipperless the most myself.

I was very fond of the fancy Hurley Phantom 202 and 303. Those were among my best ever once they were on. But one YUGE advantage of the xcels is, like you say, you just yank the zipper across and you're done. Any pre-surf giddyness or haste just compounded getting the Hurleys threaded on perfectly. Got better with time/practice but not really sure why they did it that way.
I had a zipperless Rip Curl in the 90's. Exact same design as their zipper less suits today. Loved that suit. That's back when Rip Curl made a decent product.

The Cyber zipperless that I'm talking about is quite different, however. It has a standard front zip flap, but with velcro around all the sides of said flap instead of seals and a zip. It worked well but wasn't my favorite design. Cybers new zippers are smaller than previous versions and have a new hook you have to line up before the zipper will thread. If it was the old, large plastic zippers, I'd have no issues with it. This one is just mildly annoying.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I don't understand (unless cost is an issue) why anyone would design a suit where you have to thread the zipper.
One guy suiting up in the parking lot needed help with threading the chest-zip wetsuit (forgot the brand) as it was insanely hard to align while peering under your chin. I eventually managed to get it threaded for him while nearly punching him in the face 3 times in the process. :roflmao:

Made note to self - don't get that wetsuit brand. But I've already forgotten what it was. Dammit. :roflmao:

And yes, I made sure to call out the chest zip part of this because man, that would be some Sensual Surfer material, otherwise. :roflmao:

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Current suit is from last season - same zipper?

I don't have a problem with it.

The zip I had a problem with was the ones they did in the opposite direction from normal, where you had to use your opposite hand.

Those were a nightmare to do if the waves were pumping.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Current suit is from last season - same zipper?

I don't have a problem with it.

The zip I had a problem with was the ones they did in the opposite direction from normal, where you had to use your opposite hand.

Those were a nightmare to do if the waves were pumping.
Yeah, same zipper. It's not an issue on my 3/2. It is on my 4/3. 4/3 needs a heavier duty zipper, IMO.

My 2mm full has the zipper go the opposite direction. Agreed, it's a mind fvck when in a hurry.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
so what's the argument against an attached zipper, less flexible? To me it just seems to have the opportunity of water getting in at another entry point.
I have a mutant (detatched zipper) and a hyperfreak (attached zipper). The different in flexibility taking the suits on and off is huge. I can't say I notice it once I'm suited up and paddling.

Reactions: need 4 speed