The Great Rewiring……

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
IMG_5905.jpeg

I heard this author on NPR the other day and kind of want to get this book.

He made some compelling points about the addictive nature of smartphones and their accompanying apps, and how (in the author‘s view) the shift in teenagers’ socialization has led to a myriad of mental health crises”

“After more than a decade of stability
or improvement, the mental health of adolescents plunged in the early 2010s. Rates of depression, anxiety, self-harm, and suicide rose sharply, more than doubling on many measures. Why?

In The Anxious Generation, social psychologist Jonathan Haidt lays out the facts about the epidemic of teen mental illness that hit many countries at the same time. He then investigates the nature of childhood, including why children need play and independent exploration to mature into competent, thriving adults. Haidt shows how the “play-based childhood” began to decline in the 1980s, and how it was finally wiped out by the arrival of the “phone-based childhood” in the early 2010s. He presents more than a dozen mechanisms by which this “great rewiring of childhood” has interfered with children’s social and neurological development, covering everything from sleep deprivation to attention fragmentation, addiction, loneliness, social contagion, social comparison, and perfectionism. He explains why social media damages girls more than boys and why boys have been withdrawing from the real world into the virtual world, with disastrous consequences for themselves, their families, and their societies.”

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
kids these days…

I think it’ll self correct. Gen Zers are turning away from social media.

I’m seeing it anecdotally. My son stopped using social media and most of the people he associates with have as well. Most of the 20somethings I train with are not on SM.

As an interesting side note, apparently college is super easy if you don’t do social media and don’t drink or do drugs.

My son, who’s smart but not at all gifted in any way, will run through 4 years of school in 3 years and so far is getting straight As.

He says people struggle because they’re partying all the time, “it’s pretty obvious…”

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
View attachment 178559

I heard this author on NPR the other day and kind of want to get this book.

He made some compelling points about the addictive nature of smartphones and their accompanying apps, and how (in the author‘s view) the shift in teenagers’ socialization has led to a myriad of mental health crises”

“After more than a decade of stability
or improvement, the mental health of adolescents plunged in the early 2010s. Rates of depression, anxiety, self-harm, and suicide rose sharply, more than doubling on many measures. Why?

In The Anxious Generation, social psychologist Jonathan Haidt lays out the facts about the epidemic of teen mental illness that hit many countries at the same time. He then investigates the nature of childhood, including why children need play and independent exploration to mature into competent, thriving adults. Haidt shows how the “play-based childhood” began to decline in the 1980s, and how it was finally wiped out by the arrival of the “phone-based childhood” in the early 2010s. He presents more than a dozen mechanisms by which this “great rewiring of childhood” has interfered with children’s social and neurological development, covering everything from sleep deprivation to attention fragmentation, addiction, loneliness, social contagion, social comparison, and perfectionism. He explains why social media damages girls more than boys and why boys have been withdrawing from the real world into the virtual world, with disastrous consequences for themselves, their families, and their societies.”
I listened to this author on Rogan and came out with many of the same conclusions as you. I already made changes for my kids just after the interview

I want to read this book.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
right now, I have to put all this software that I pay for on my kids' phones and they can still get around it

it's enraging

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
kids these days…

I’m seeing it anecdotally. My son stopped using social media and most of the people he associates with have as well. Most of the 20somethings I train with are not on SM.

As an interesting side note, apparently college is super easy if you don’t do social media and don’t drink or do drugs.

My son, who’s smart but not at all gifted in any way, will run through 4 years of school in 3 years and so far is getting straight As.

He says people struggle because they’re partying all the time, “it’s pretty obvious…”
If you don't party in college, you will never know what partying is.
Getting A's will never follow you from school but memories will be cherished.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I listened to this author on Rogan and came out with many of the same conclusions as you. I already made changes for my kids just after the interview

I want to read this book.
It's a constant power struggle in my household. The concept of screen time as a reward irritates me a lot. They're not even on social media but... I don't know. It doesn't bother me with my son as much because overall, he is using it to learn astronomy, geography, etc. Some frivolous sh!t but overall, educational. My daughter uses it for the most vapid of sh!t though: Minecraft reaction videos and cat memes, bad ones. Absolute waste but she is reading more also. Those electronics are gone at bedtime.

Found an absolute deal with a junior bag and set of clubs for $50, took my son out to putting and driving range yesterday. We went through over 250 balls at the range. He absolutely skilled out in baseball but he did develop a clean swing and this kid, right out of the gate, grabs the driver, horrendous backswing, but clean swing and follow-through, hits it about 60 yards and straight as an arrow, no spin. Not bad for a 9 year old kid his first time ever using a non-mini golf club. Shitton of fun. He got 100 yards now and then towards the end, especially when he took his time, set his feet, and all that.

The kind of outdoor activity I want to absolutely encourage. Kids need to spend more time outside, playing with other kids. It's hard when there seemingly aren't that many around. And the ones I DO see are the ones up to absolutely no good; delinquents in training. It's not as easy as it used to be for us. There were 20 kids on the block-and-a-half of my one street alone. Not that way now.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
It's a constant power struggle in my household. The concept of screen time as a reward irritates me a lot. They're not even on social media but... I don't know. It doesn't bother me with my son as much because overall, he is using it to learn astronomy, geography, etc. Some frivolous sh!t but overall, educational. My daughter uses it for the most vapid of sh!t though: Minecraft reaction videos and cat memes, bad ones. Absolute waste but she is reading more also. Those electronics are gone at bedtime.

Found an absolute deal with a junior bag and set of clubs for $50, took my son out to putting and driving range yesterday. We went through over 250 balls at the range. He absolutely skilled out in baseball but he did develop a clean swing and this kid, right out of the gate, grabs the driver, horrendous backswing, but clean swing and follow-through, hits it about 60 yards and straight as an arrow, no spin. Not bad for a 9 year old kid his first time ever using a non-mini golf club. Shitton of fun. He got 100 yards now and then towards the end, especially when he took his time, set his feet, and all that.

The kind of outdoor activity I want to absolutely encourage. Kids need to spend more time outside, playing with other kids. It's hard when there seemingly aren't that many around. And the ones I DO see are the ones up to absolutely no good; delinquents in training. It's not as easy as it used to be for us. There were 20 kids on the block-and-a-half of my one street alone. Not that way now.
My daughter watches similar educational stuff to your son, so even though it feels like she's wasting time would I be as mad if she had her nose in a book about the same stuff?

My son used to watch some mindless video game stuff but now it's almost all baseball and other sports videos. I also give him more of a pass because he's always at one kind of practice or another and is playing 2 sports at once. He's on 2 separate travel baseball teams and plays a school sport every season. The baseball must be cross training for other things as well- he hit 119 mph at Top Golf last week.

The kids who aren't busy with sports at my son's age are outside a lot, but they're also starting down the delinquent path it seems. I guess it's always balance

I don't use the screen time as a reward thing either. We all watched TV constantly growing up and even though our modern screens are more insular I feel like it's CURRENT THING a little bit as well

Reactions: Kento

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
If you don't party in college, you will never know what partying is.
Getting A's will never follow you from school but memories will be cherished.
I"m a little torn here, because on one hand I feel like college is a waste because a lot of it is an extended adolescence of partying that can set you back financially in multiple ways for decades, but at the same time its a good way to get it out of your system.

I see way too many people my age that went to work and/or had kids early and now are acting degenerate in their 40s

Reactions: Kento

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
kids these days…

Teens are not following suit. Snap in particular is vital for high schoolers.

As for college - go to class every day and you’ll get a B at least. Most kids don’t go to class, sometimes ever.

Reactions: hal9000

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
right now, I have to put all this software that I pay for on my kids' phones and they can still get around it

it's enraging
If they’re that resourceful all three be should straight A students.