The Great Rewiring……

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
It's a constant power struggle in my household. The concept of screen time as a reward irritates me a lot. They're not even on social media but... I don't know. It doesn't bother me with my son as much because overall, he is using it to learn astronomy, geography, etc. Some frivolous sh!t but overall, educational. My daughter uses it for the most vapid of sh!t though: Minecraft reaction videos and cat memes, bad ones. Absolute waste but she is reading more also. Those electronics are gone at bedtime.

Found an absolute deal with a junior bag and set of clubs for $50, took my son out to putting and driving range yesterday. We went through over 250 balls at the range. He absolutely skilled out in baseball but he did develop a clean swing and this kid, right out of the gate, grabs the driver, horrendous backswing, but clean swing and follow-through, hits it about 60 yards and straight as an arrow, no spin. Not bad for a 9 year old kid his first time ever using a non-mini golf club. Shitton of fun. He got 100 yards now and then towards the end, especially when he took his time, set his feet, and all that.

The kind of outdoor activity I want to absolutely encourage. Kids need to spend more time outside, playing with other kids. It's hard when there seemingly aren't that many around. And the ones I DO see are the ones up to absolutely no good; delinquents in training. It's not as easy as it used to be for us. There were 20 kids on the block-and-a-half of my one street alone. Not that way now.
i like reading your child-rearing posts because it makes me realize how much sh!t my subconscious brain has erased from my memory

i mean its obviously still in my memory, because i read your posts and then i remember it, but other than that... its like it never happened

:roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
My daughter watches similar educational stuff to your son, so even though it feels like she's wasting time would I be as mad if she had her nose in a book about the same stuff?

My son used to watch some mindless video game stuff but now it's almost all baseball and other sports videos. I also give him more of a pass because he's always at one kind of practice or another and is playing 2 sports at once. He's on 2 separate travel baseball teams and plays a school sport every season. The baseball must be cross training for other things as well- he hit 119 mph at Top Golf last week.

The kids who aren't busy with sports at my son's age are outside a lot, but they're also starting down the delinquent path it seems. I guess it's always balance

I don't use the screen time as a reward thing either. We all watched TV constantly growing up and even though our modern screens are more insular I feel like it's CURRENT THING a little bit as well
Great way to look at it; that's great that she is productive with it. Yeah, he would just memorize facts about so many random things. He is aghast that people do not know that UY Scuti and Stephenson 2-18 are not the largest stars in the universe. I just laugh. Kids are funny.

Even with the video games and other similar screen stuff, it's a big difference it it's interactive with others playing side by side. Not just sucked into a screen. If it ends in a fight, hey at least they are interacting. Friends and I growing up played quite the fair share of Nintendo, Atari, Apple II games. But again, mostly interactive.

Your son is killing it with baseball. Keep it going as long as he's having fun with it.

Part of it is "current thing". My mom always laughs about how nothing has changed - in the 70s, people would spend all day gabbing about what they watched on TV the night before.

At least with sports on TV, you can watch, learn, and apply.

Reactions: Ifallalot

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
View attachment 178559

I heard this author on NPR the other day and kind of want to get this book.

He made some compelling points about the addictive nature of smartphones and their accompanying apps, and how (in the author‘s view) the shift in teenagers’ socialization has led to a myriad of mental health crises”

“After more than a decade of stability
or improvement, the mental health of adolescents plunged in the early 2010s. Rates of depression, anxiety, self-harm, and suicide rose sharply, more than doubling on many measures. Why?

In The Anxious Generation, social psychologist Jonathan Haidt lays out the facts about the epidemic of teen mental illness that hit many countries at the same time. He then investigates the nature of childhood, including why children need play and independent exploration to mature into competent, thriving adults. Haidt shows how the “play-based childhood” began to decline in the 1980s, and how it was finally wiped out by the arrival of the “phone-based childhood” in the early 2010s. He presents more than a dozen mechanisms by which this “great rewiring of childhood” has interfered with children’s social and neurological development, covering everything from sleep deprivation to attention fragmentation, addiction, loneliness, social contagion, social comparison, and perfectionism. He explains why social media damages girls more than boys and why boys have been withdrawing from the real world into the virtual world, with disastrous consequences for themselves, their families, and their societies.”

In the middle of this book now, pretty interesting and kind of redundant

Surprised that more has not been made of the passages in the book related to the rise of gender disphoria in children as a socially spreading condition

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
In the middle of this book now, pretty interesting and kind of redundant

Surprised that more has not been made of the passages in the book related to the rise of gender disphoria in children as a socially spreading condition

i think volumes will be written about this topic in the future.

i’m willing to bet that a significant number of these cases are due to “social contagion“

but you’re not allowed to say that for fear of being labeled and outcast as a “worthless white cis male oppressor ”

ifall just got a semi-chub reading this

• Love
Reactions: npsp and Ifallalot

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
i think volumes will be written about this topic in the future.

i’m willing to bet that a significant number of these cases are due to “social contagion“

but you’re not allowed to say that for fear of being labeled and outcast as a “worthless white cis male oppressor ”

ifall just got a semi-chub reading this

Exactly - it seems like this book is being pretty well received, i actually feel like it should be more controversial -as it paints a large swath of parents and kids as pretty fucked.

Reactions: hal9000

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
"The Great Rewiring"....

If you don't party in college, you will never know what partying is.
Getting A's will never follow you from school but memories will be cherished.
So at college, Radioactive Red was dating a Saudi.

She and roommate Kelly Big Hair decided to throw a party, inviting over RR's boyfriend and a few other Saudis, and KBH invited the rest (me being 'one of the rest').

After some drinks and snacks, I was talking with one of the friends of RR's boyfriend.

He saying how great American college parties are and how great it is to be able to buy American alcohol without having to pay blackmarket prices, no one tries to shame anyone for choosing their own path in life (little did he know), how nice it is to talk about whatever to whomever without repercussions, blah, blah, blah.

Party goes along, more boozing, more snacking, and whoa, the Saudi contingent is getting trashed, way more than stumbling or accidently knocking of a Solo cup over drunk and more like pack of 10 yr old kids sneaking drinks at a wedding reception drunk.

And I rhetorically think to myself, "I wonder if they're going to remember all this freedom when they get to wherever they're going."

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Kento and Ifallalot

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

The hypothesis that the mere presence of the smartphone influences attention without any interaction with it can thus be confirmed by this study. It could be shown that the presence of the smartphone results in lower attentional performance. In addition, with the help of this work, the type of influence on attention by the smartphone can be shown more specifically: the presence of the smartphone has a negative influence on the working speed and thus on cognitive performance and attention. Under the presence of the smartphone, individuals work slower.

Taken together, most studies show an influence of a turned-on or available smartphone on attention in the context of high-level attentional tasks. This study shows an influence of the mere presence of the smartphone in the context of low-level attentional performance, which is a contribution to the previous body of research.

The theoretical framework shows that the smartphone represents an additional cognitive load, whereby limited cognitive resources are consumed. As a result, cognitive performance is negatively affected. The results of this paper suggest that especially the speed of cognitive performance and processing is impaired. In addition, an important fact could be shown by this study: the smartphone presence influences attention even while solving tasks that require basal attentional processes.

Based on these results, the everyday use of smartphones and the desire for a greater digitalization, and thus the increased implementation of digital devices in our daily lives, should be critically reflected. With this work, concrete possibilities for a positive handling of the smartphone can be given. It could be shown that it is not sufficient to cover the screen of the smartphone or to turn it off. However, placing the smartphone in a different room is sufficient to avoid the negative effects on attention performance. This is a simple and effective method to achieve this.

As the results of this study show, the use and permanent presence of a smartphone imposes a great challenge on society. At the same time, current studies show that the smartphone and also the smartphone presence can have positive effects. For example, during the COVID-19 pandemic, the smartphone proved to be a particularly useful tool. All of this shows that in order to get the most out of a smartphone and make the best of its costs and benefits, a balanced and conscious use of the smartphone must be achieved.

Thus, it can be shown that smartphone use should be critically scrutinized and should only be done in appropriate contexts. Students should avoid having their smartphone with them while attention is required. Based on this work, many other contexts can be explored in which the smartphone could be a negative influence on attention.

The possibilities of the smartphone are enormous, however, this work shows that the advantages of the smartphone come with a strong negative disadvantage: high cognitive costs and strong losses of cognitive abilities.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
i think this ball started rolling in the aftermath of 9/11.

high-speed internet was becoming accessible, everyone was getting cell phones, and we became glued to our computer screens to absorb the 24-7 news cycle.
In addition, a zeitgeist of self-loathing and guilt has somehow spread amongst a lot of our younger generations, the oldest of which have kids now

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
In addition, a zeitgeist of self-loathing and guilt has somehow spread amongst a lot of our younger generations, the oldest of which have kids now
"Suffer no guilt, ye who wield this in the name of Crom"

1714497460095.png

And yeah, I have absolutely saved the Robert E. Howard books for my son. Maybe a couple more years but oh yeah, we'd do better if our sons got more of that good stuff. Not all stories are great and a little formulaic at times but the ones that do hit, they really hit. Hour of the Dragon and Red Nails for example. Latter was supposed to be made into animated film with Ron Perlman as Conan but didn't happen. A shame.

No self-loathing or guilt in any of that literature. Or the movie for that matter. Chick he bangs for information ends up being a vampire witch so he does the sensible thing, pulls out and throws her into the fire. Sleeps out the night.

And speaking of earning screening time, I think the Tree of Woe might be going a little far but... we do have room for a smaller version of the Wheel of Pain in the backyard. :monkey:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
we're still in our internet adolescence

facebook is done and dusted

I think a lot of these other apps will go the same way

no one needs this sh!t

folks seems to be coming around to the reality that endless scrolling and selfie culture is a dead end

Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
"Suffer no guilt, ye who wield this in the name of Crom"

View attachment 179242

And yeah, I have absolutely saved the Robert E. Howard books for my son. Maybe a couple more years but oh yeah, we'd do better if our sons got more of that good stuff. Not all stories are great and a little formulaic at times but the ones that do hit, they really hit. Hour of the Dragon and Red Nails for example. Latter was supposed to be made into animated film with Ron Perlman as Conan but didn't happen. A shame.

No self-loathing or guilt in any of that literature. Or the movie for that matter. Chick he bangs for information ends up being a vampire witch so he does the sensible thing, pulls out and throws her into the fire. Sleeps out the night.

And speaking of earning screening time, I think the Tree of Woe might be going a little far but... we do have room for a smaller version of the Wheel of Pain in the backyard. :monkey:
Just move to the Tree of Pain... (different book series, and if you don't get the reference I have to assign 4 books to you stat)