The Good Book Thread?

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Read them all while living in the rainforest in the Gulfo Dulce on a finca with boat in access only. What a trip.
For me those paperbacks were like a portable movie I carried in my back pocket. I smoked a little herb and would sit and read in nature and be transported almost physically into a metaphysical adventure. The Castaneda mythology is more substantial than Harry Potter. Some think it is based on Tibetan mysticism. From the sound of some of his apprentices, however, Carlos became somewhat of a jerk near the end of his life. Imagine if his last book was Tales of Power and then he really disappeared, not to be heard from again? When Second Ring of Power arrived a few years later, I scoffed. I thought he jumped off a cliff into another world, now he wants to write more and make more money? But what the hell, the last books were a lot of fun too, including the series of stories in Active Side of Infinity.

Anyone read any books about lucid dreaming? I read Stephen LaBerge, and I lack the self-discipline to do the exercises necessary to be successful at lucid dreaming. I can remember dreaming lucidly only a few times in my life, which were mind-blowing experiences. Some can dream lucidly almost on demand.

how can people dream lucidly? - Search (bing.com)

"Get more REM sleep. Since lucid dreaming usually happens during REM sleep, spending more time in this stage will increase your chances of lucid dreaming.
  • "Keep a dream journal. Many people use a dream journal, or dream diary, to aid lucid dreaming. Writing down your dreams forces you to recall them.

• "Practice reality testing. Your level of consciousness is similar when you’re awake and dreaming

• "Try induction techniques. While lucid dreaming often happens randomly, it’s possible to initiate lucid dreaming through induction techniques."

Last edited:
Reactions: b.r.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Anyone use kindle readers and yes is it worth buying paper white etc or even deluxe with more gb memory etc? I am 52 eyes could use some good light to read is it worth it etc?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Johnathan Haidt - The Righteous Mind
Loved it. Maybe the best thing I read or listened to this year. Written in a clear, concise way and well narrated by the author. Dense but engaging. Will likely re-listen for a 2nd time.
Liked this book a lot. Moral foundation theory is somewhat controversial, I understand, but I think has value.

Francis Fukuyama - The Origins of Political Order
Not gonna lie this one got pretty tough by the midway point. It's undoubtably good but just so dense. Listening on the long drive home from mex my girlfriend finally made me change it to something more fun. Might take me a while to finish.
I'm about a quarter of the way through this. Really good so far.

Reactions: Aruka

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Anyone use kindle readers and yes is it worth buying paper white etc or even deluxe with more gb memory etc? I am 52 eyes could use some good light to read is it worth it etc?
not kindle but tablet reading just has too many advantages not to use, especially for older eyes....back-lit screen, adjustable changeable fonts, searchable text, thousands of books at your fingertips, a million more books are a couple clicks away etc etc. i like paper too but it's just too easy to it read via tablet.

currently reading this, a very good read if you like this sort thing.
Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History

and if you like this sort of thing electronically, pm me an email address

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
not kindle but tablet reading just has too many advantages not to use, especially for older eyes....back-lit screen, adjustable changeable fonts, searchable text, thousands of books at your fingertips, a million more books are a couple clicks away etc etc. i like paper too but it's just too easy to it read via tablet.

currently reading this, a very good read if you like this sort thing.
Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History

and if you like this sort of thing electronically, pm me an email address
That book was sick and fully agree about reading on a proper tablet

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I definitely feel 72% more smug when Im reading 2-3 books per week. But funk me do those kindle bills add up
I notice when you read a lot you just know sh!t.

It's probably what made me into the Knowitall I strive unsuccessfuly not to be.

I used to be a crazy reader.

One time my ex wife yelled at me for reading so many books at once.

"Why are you reading 7 books at once!" :roflmao:

Reactions: enframed

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I notice when you read a lot you just know sh!t.

It's probably what made me into the Knowitall I strive unsuccessfuly not to be.

I used to be a crazy reader.

One time my ex wife yelled at me for reading so many books at once.

"Why are you reading 7 books at once!" :roflmao:
Very true. No matter what you’re reading, you’re learning something new or your imagination is pinged with every page

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
My house would be floor to ceiling hoarder style full of books. Unless I just went to the library a couple of time per week, but a read a lot of genre fiction that’s not often available in most librarys

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
The Master and Margarita
So many people told me how good this is. I read it, thought it was just OK. I love Russian Lit, but did not dig that one.
Anyone read any books about lucid dreaming? I read Stephen LaBerge, and I lack the self-discipline to do the exercises necessary to be successful at lucid dreaming. I can remember dreaming lucidly only a few times in my life, which were mind-blowing experiences. Some can dream lucidly almost on demand.

how can people dream lucidly? - Search (bing.com)

"Get more REM sleep. Since lucid dreaming usually happens during REM sleep, spending more time in this stage will increase your chances of lucid dreaming.
  • "Keep a dream journal. Many people use a dream journal, or dream diary, to aid lucid dreaming. Writing down your dreams forces you to recall them.

• "Practice reality testing. Your level of consciousness is similar when you’re awake and dreaming

• "Try induction techniques. While lucid dreaming often happens randomly, it’s possible to initiate lucid dreaming through induction techniques."
When I was in high school, this was 1986-1990, I was into psychedelics and read a lot of Omni magazine, remember that one? Owned by Bob Guccione, of Penthouse magazine There was an article about lucid dreaming and I was fascinated. You don't need a book, that article was enough. I could lucid dream, and I kept a dream journal, which helps you recall more dreams. Got to the point I would wake up and write down 4-5 dreams a night. I stopped at some point, but it was interesting while it lasted.

The Master and Margarita
So many people told me how good this is. I read it, thought it was just OK. I love Russian Lit, but did not dig that one.

Just heard about this book "Last and First Men" by Olaf Stapleton.

Last and First Men: A Story of the Near and Far Future is a "future history" science fiction novel written in 1930 by the British author Olaf Stapledon. A work of unprecedented scale in the genre, it describes the history of humanity from the present onwards across two billion years[1] and eighteen distinct human species, of which our own is the first.

Anyone here read this? Sounds fascinating!

Reactions: afoaf

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I know all about kindle and other readers, completely support and could easily use the technology, and don't criticize those who choose to use it. For me, I just like to have the physical book.
The paper melts here because of the salt and humidity. Also bugs. We still have a selection that would keep most people happy in the hammock for a month, reread Jack London again. The big fat one.

My father in law left me a truck load of books, several hundred. I have to go through the boxes and filter, then figure out wtf to do with them.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I got the largest screen phone available, mostly for reading, and prefer that to keeping a separate tablet. Still prefer paper books, but it's nice having everything in one place.