The Good Book Thread?

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I'm currently reading Obama's Wars by Bob Woodward. Boy did he inherit some baggage from the previous administration and apparently did likewise for good ol' Trumplestilsken but I haven't reached that point in the book yet.

For mindless relaxation I'm also reading The Terran Scout Fleet series by Joshua Dalzelle. It's sci-fi space fantasy stuff about undercover agents that travel through mulitple galaxies, hunting bad guys. There's lots of action and gross alien encounters.

Reactions: Aruka

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Started "catch-22" at erBB suggestion. So far... interesting. Not sure if I'm going to start to love it, or stop reading it. Irreverent is good. Repeating things is annoying. "Yes, irreverent is good. Repeating things is annoying" said other character.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Started "catch-22" at erBB suggestion. So far... interesting. Not sure if I'm going to start to love it, or stop reading it. Irreverent is good. Repeating things is annoying. "Yes, irreverent is good. Repeating things is annoying" said other character.

I tried as a kid and couldn't get into it

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I liked the first 2/3 or 3/4. The end, apparently Heller was trying to relay the tedium/shitty side of war and so the end of the book drags a bit vs the rest.

American Literature in general and Beat in particular really isn't my thing. I apparently need to read this Mitchener but I really could barely force myself through Death of a Salesman, Catcher in the Rye, A Separate Peace, The Crucible....

Dickens beats the Dickens out of that stuff.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I read a lot on my recent trip. Thank you to whoever brought up Paul Theroux on here. I had never read him but after reading one I downloaded two more for my kindle and they were great too. Only the travel books so far, none of his fiction.

Paul Theroux - Darkstar Safari, On the Plain of Snakes, Deep South
All great books. Hard to pick a favorite. The dude can write.

Peter Heller - The Orchard, The River
I like his storytelling. It's relaxing and easy and it keeps moving. Kind of reminds me of Wally Lamb, David James Duncan, etc. I always want a couple books like this for a trip for when I get burned out on more demanding books.

Jeanine Cummins - American Dirt
An easy read. Started off okay but felt like it lost me near the end.

Charles Bukowski - Pulp
Not my favorite Bukowski but still worth it. Almost had some Vonnegut vibes with the bizzare plot twists.

Colson Whitehead - The Nickle Boys
Really good from start to finish. Pretty heavy subject matter but it didn't feel like a chore to read and the ending was satisfying without being perfectly wrapped in a forced way that can sometimes ruin an otherwise good book. This is the first book I've read of his but I will read them all now.

Richard Powers - The Overstory
I haven't been able to quite finish this one. It is fairly well written but I never really clicked with it. I am familiar with the areas and some of the characters on which I'm guessing this book is based and some of it just felt a little too cliche or something. Part of the book is about environmentalists trying to save the remaining old growth trees in the PNW but spoiler alert: they failed. The other story thread was about an early bay area programmer but I just couldn't seem to connect with that part of the story. This book won a pulitzer. Oprah and Obama loved it. I get why but I think it was just too close to home and I had trouble viewing it with enough distance to enjoy it or something.

Andrea Wulf - The Invention of Nature
This is about Alexander Von Humboldt of whom I knew very little. He was a german naturalist, explorer and basically an overall badass genius. His ideas were greatly influential to many and were likely the precursors to Darwins theory of evolution. Apparently he wrote a great deal himself so I will have to read some of his books eventually. I really liked this book.

I also listened to a few audiobooks over the past few months. I've found that for nonfiction I am able to retain a bit more when listening rather than reading.

Johnathan Haidt - The Righteous Mind
Loved it. Maybe the best thing I read or listened to this year. Written in a clear, concise way and well narrated by the author. Dense but engaging. Will likely re-listen for a 2nd time.

Francis Fukuyama - The Origins of Political Order
Not gonna lie this one got pretty tough by the midway point. It's undoubtably good but just so dense. Listening on the long drive home from mex my girlfriend finally made me change it to something more fun. Might take me a while to finish.

Rick Perlstein - Nixonland, The Invisible Bridge, Reaganland
Apparently there is a book previous to Nixonland but I started there before I realized. These are all fantastic and should be essential reading before posting in the Political Forum.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I definitely feel 72% more smug when Im reading 2-3 books per week. But funk me do those kindle bills add up

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Finally finished The Making of Incarnation by Tom McCarthy. Not my favorite of his books. Really dragged in the middle; too much minutiae of motion capture technology (MoCap). It's simultaneously about a film being made using MoCap and some industrial; psychologists who spent years making diorama capturing movements of workers in an attempt to make them more efficient; the study of motions, sort of. The story overall was good, but the ending left me wanting. I recommend any of his other novels before this one, especially Remainder, Men in Space, and C.

Prob gonna start Will Self's Umbrella a 3rd time. I finally got me new reading prescription and reading is a joy again. I'm far-sighted as fvck.

After watching Drive My Car, the film based on Haruki Murakami's short story, which featured rehearsals of Anton Chekov's "Uncle Vanya," decided to pullout Chekov's plays, which are some of the best sh|t ever written. Full stop. I love Russian lit.

Just received from B+N online Italo Svevo's Zeno's Conscience, which is apparently a hilarious post-modern-ish novel about an old guy who spends a lifetime trying to quit smoking. I've read some excerpts and they are fucking funny. Really looking forward to this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Anyone read Carlos Castaneda? A long time ago people were talking about Teachings of Don Juan. I read it and was hooked. I read ALL his books at least 3 times each! My older brother read only the first book and decided that Carlos was just making it all up. I couldn't believe that. I thought Carlos was exaggerating the magical events, but most of it sounded true. I went to one Tensegrity workshop in Anaheim in 1997 just to see Carlos speak. After Carlos died in 1998 books came out about him (De Mille and others) that cast much doubt about how much of what he wrote was true. He obviously did a lot of library research (at UCLA) and learned a lot about shamanism. He was so gifted a novelist that he could make it all sound true!

When don Juan spoke of "places of power" to me it meant certain surf spots during a big swell. "Living like a warrior" means eat right, be good and not create karma, and exercise so you are fit enough to surf.

Last edited:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
i read them and thoroughly enjoyed them back in my psychedelic days, which were also my rock climbing days, so places of power for me were J-tree and Tahquitz. Especially Tahquitz.

1647359062749.png

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anyone read Carlos Castaneda? A long time ago people were talking about Teachings of Don Juan. I read it and was hooked. I read ALL his books at least 3 times each! My older brother read only the first book and decided that Carlos was just making it all up. I couldn't believe that. I thought Carlos was exaggerating the magical events, but most of it sounded true. I went to one Tensegrity workshop in Anaheim in 1997 just to see Carlos speak. After Carlos died in 1998 books came out about him (De Mille and others) that cast much doubt about how much of what he wrote was true. He obviously did a lot of library research (at UCLA) and learned a lot about shamanism. He was so gifted a novelist that he could make it all sound true!

When don Juan spoke of "places of power" to me it meant certain surf spots during a big swell. "Living like a warrior" means eat right, be good and not create karma, and exercise so you are fit enough to surf.
I read most of them as a kid. Loved them. They're probably just made up but they were good stories.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com

Read them all while living in the rainforest in the Gulfo Dulce on a finca with boat in access only. What a trip.

Reactions: Aquaman2 and Subway

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 7.39.33 AM.png
This is sitting on my nightstand. but it's unlikely that it will be read anytime soon.
Not really a quick, easy, "newborn in the house" read.