The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of government.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
LMAO I got about a minute in when I shut it off. Talk about a dishonest and misinformed to attempt to make one side look rosier than the other.

Also, considering you liken the people of the USA being akin to employees of the president it’s hard for me to believe you want more limited government

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
manbearpig said:
:roflmao: :roflmao: the entire premise of the video is false bubble boy
Not at all from the title. Where they got it wrong is using one plane to describe governments/political thought rather than the more accurate X-Y version

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
The talking points of the video aside, if people are worried that Trump will kill us all the most effective protection against that would be to dial the powers down that go with the office. The legislature makes laws, not the POTUS and not the SCOTUS.

president /= king.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
GDaddy said:
The talking points of the video aside, if people are worried that Trump will kill us all the most effective protection against that would be to dial the powers down that go with the office. The legislature makes laws, not the POTUS and not the SCOTUS.

president /= king.
We've been pretty much an oligarchy for the past 20 years.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
So... Somalia, with no functioning government to speak of, is therefore the most free country?

I had a coworker once who ran for Congress on the Libertarian ticket. I asked him to describe any application of Libertarian philosophies in first-world countries that worked out well; he admitted he couldn't.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
hammies said:
So... Somalia, with no functioning government to speak of, is therefore the most free country?

I had a coworker once who ran for Congress on the Libertarian ticket. I asked him to describe any application of Libertarian philosophies in first-world countries that worked out well; he admitted he couldn't.
Derp

There's a big difference between Objectivist Libertarians and Anarchists.

That's like saying Norway is the same as Pol Pot's Cambodia

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
DerDer said:
ifallalot said:
Autoprax said:
Without government there can be no law.
This is true.

Libertarianism is not Anarchism
So with Libertarianism, who decides with laws are just and which are unjust?
You seem to have libertarianism confused with anarchy. In libertarianism laws are based on minding your own business and not harming others. If you're not bothering anyone else nobody should bother you. There are still laws but the laws are limited in scope.