The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of government.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
more bad reading comprehension...

he asked a relevant question, one which in no way shape or form implies a confusion between
anarchy and libertarianism.

who determines the laws and their scope? who determines what is and is not "harming others"

mhurdle858

Michael Peterson status
Mar 23, 2006
San Diego
GromsDad said:
DerDer said:
ifallalot said:
Autoprax said:
Without government there can be no law.
This is true.

Libertarianism is not Anarchism
So with Libertarianism, who decides with laws are just and which are unjust?
You seem to have libertarianism confused with anarchy. In libertarianism laws are based on minding your own business and not harming others. If you're not bothering anyone else nobody should bother you. There are still laws but the laws are limited in scope.
No, I am not confused. My question has nothing to do with the comparison of anarchy and libertarianism. I posit that this question is above your intelligence, but your welcome to give it a stab...

You state that there are still laws, but limited in scope. Who decides where the laws are limited? This is the same question I asked Ifallalot.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
Autoprax said:
This is true.

No, it's picking and choosing which rules suit you.

Instead of having laws that work for everybody.
No, its a minimum of interference via laws and government. That's what works best for everyone.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
DerDer said:
GromsDad said:
DerDer said:
ifallalot said:
Autoprax said:
This is true.

You seem to have libertarianism confused with anarchy. In libertarianism laws are based on minding your own business and not harming others. If you're not bothering anyone else nobody should bother you. There are still laws but the laws are limited in scope.
No, I am not confused. My question has nothing to do with the comparison of anarchy and libertarianism. I posit that this question is above your intelligence, but your welcome to give it a stab...

You state that there are still laws, but limited in scope. Who decides where the laws are limited? This is the same question I asked Ifallalot.
There's still a representative government bound by a Constitution that limits the new laws. Hence, not anarchy.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
Autoprax said:
This is true.

No, its a minimum of interference via laws and government. That's what works best for everyone.
That’s highly debatable. Especially considering our current government structure, along with the laws and amendments made to cater to the people, has been best for everyone historically.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
Autoprax said:
This is true.

Uh no.

It obviously doesn't work for everyone.

Letting crazy people buy guns legally doesn't work for everyone.

Dehumanizing transexuals doesn't work for transexuals.

Telling women what to do with their bodies doesn't work for women.

Etcetc

Libertarianism works only for white, straight males who love guns, don't want to pay taxes and don't give a sh!t about anything or anyone.

mhurdle858

Michael Peterson status
Mar 23, 2006
San Diego
ifallalot said:
DerDer said:
GromsDad said:
DerDer said:

There's still a representative government bound by a Constitution that limits the new laws. Hence, not anarchy.
A representative government, bound by a constitution - that sounds familiar. How is that any different then our current representative government, bound by our current constitution?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
Autoprax said:
This is true.

Uh no.

Etcetc

Libertarianism works only for white, straight males who love guns, don't want to pay taxes and don't give a sh!t about anything or anyone.
:roflmao:

Pet causes and legalized inequality.

You obviously have ZERO idea what libertarianism is

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
DerDer said:
ifallalot said:
DerDer said:
GromsDad said:
DerDer said:

A representative government, bound by a constitution - that sounds familiar. How is that any different then our current representative government, bound by our current constitution?
The piles of extra laws and spending they pass every year, the countless agencies, bureaucracy, lobbying, etc

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:

Uh no.

Etcetc

:roflmao:

Pet causes and legalized inequality.

You obviously have ZERO idea what libertarianism is
Pet causes?

That's somebody's life you fvcking moron.

mhurdle858

Michael Peterson status
Mar 23, 2006
San Diego
ifallalot said:
DerDer said:
ifallalot said:
The piles of extra laws and spending they pass every year, the countless agencies, bureaucracy, lobbying, etc
How does libertarianism stop these extra laws, spending and bureaucracy? Going back to my original question... Who says what laws are extra, what to not spend money on and what bureaucracy to eliminate?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
How does libertarianism stop these extra laws, spending and bureaucracy? Going back to my original question... Who says what laws are extra, what to not spend money on and what bureaucracy to eliminate?
if you view the forces being exerted for and against laws in market terms, and you assume
two things:

1. that we seek to maximize freedom without unduly infringing on the common good
2. that we started from a point of a minimal/weak legal framework

you could say that our current legal regime, which has been built up incrementally over time
as our country has developed is the optimal balance of libertarianism and collectivism*

(not sure if collectivism is the most accurate term for the intended counterpoint)

freedoms ebb and flow as cultural mores shift and we learn from experience.

marijuana, maybe not so bad after all!

trigger-locks, great idea!

mhurdle858

Michael Peterson status
Mar 23, 2006
San Diego
afoaf said:
if you view the forces being exerted for and against laws in market terms, and you assume
two things:

1. that we seek to maximize freedom without infringing on the common good
2. that we started from a point of a minimal/weak legal framework

you could say that our current legal regime, which has been built up incrementally over time
as our country has developed is the optimal balance of libertarianism and collectivism*

(not sure if collectivism is the most accurate term for the intended counterpoint)

freedoms ebb and flow as cultural mores shift and we learn from experience.

marijuana, maybe not so bad after all!

trigger-locks, great idea!
Exactly... We've gotten to our current situation through utilitarianism (greater good, public will, whatever you want to call it). What is different in a libertarian society? Is there no sense of utilitarianism? If not, who decides which laws are just or unjust?

It seems, and correct me if I'm wrong, that most libertarians want to make that decision for themselves. If so, how can a cohesive society exist?

To me, libertarianism is a utopian dream -- much like communism or anarchy; it looks great in theory, but would never work in the real world. The real world is filled with flawed human beings.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
DerDer said:
ifallalot said:
DerDer said:
ifallalot said:
This is where the philosophy of keeping a small government comes in. There needs to be a general end to the "there oughtta be a law" mindset as well as taking advantage of our system and having the localized government govern more than the Federal government.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
"from the crooked timber of humanity no truly straight thing can be made"

-Kant