The Electoral College

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
Mr Doof said:
casa_mugrienta said:
The vast majority of the country lives east of the Mississippi - why not just have them vote instead?
Isnt' the center of population near Chicago?

Wait a second....I gots the google....wahla!

So that brown streak is what... a sh!t hole? Skid mark?

:dancing:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
manbearpig said:
Where the major concentration of people live is irrelevant.
It's actually quite relevant.

People in the West have different issues of political significance than people in the East.

It can matter. A lot.

And when the population map looks like this it's significant.

You say where the major concentration of people live is irrelevant.

Then why not just do away with the EC and leave voting up to the East? Use the West Coast as a tiebreaker if need be. It would save money. Everyone else can go pound sand. Right?

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
When talking about federal government, yes my opinion is that where the concentration of the population is irrelevant. That does not equate to the east coast decides, it means the people as a whole decide the governing of the country as a whole. Regional political issues can be taken up, and often are, at a state by state level.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
manbearpig said:
When talking about federal government, yes my opinion is that where the concentration of the population is irrelevant. That does not equate to the east coast decides, it means the people as a whole decide the governing of the country as a whole.
Without the electoral college the East would decide and even more specifically the Northeast corridor. End of story.

Regional political issues can be taken up, and often are, at a state by state level.
Yeah, cause there's no federal money for stuff like water infrastructure. :rolleyes:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
You’re still valuing it regionally vs the bigger picture of what it really is, a popular vote. And I never said federal government had no purpose overall. Of course there’s many things that just can’t be decided state by state based on monetary restrictions and go beyond state lines.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
You’re not really talking about a popular vote. You’re outlining something more akin to the EC in which the votes are weighted regionally instead of state by state

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
manbearpig said:
You’re outlining something more akin to the EC in which the votes are weighted regionally instead of state by state
I'm saying doing away with the EC would create exactly that situation - a defacto weighting of votes tilted heavily toward the states from Mimal east.

The EC helps maintain a union of states instead of some scenario where certain states wield a huge amount of power over other states.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
In the history of the US the EC decided who won despite popular vote only five times. So historically speaking the population being weighed heavier one region over another wouldn’t have made such a big difference.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
manbearpig said:
In the history of the US the EC decided who won despite popular vote only five times. So historically speaking the population being weighed heavier one region over another wouldn’t have made such a big difference.
But 2 of the last 5 elections have gone this way. The more it happens, the more the majority will want to change it.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:
casa_mugrienta said:
manbearpig said:
You’re still valuing it regionally vs the bigger picture of what it really is, a popular vote.
I'm not valuing it regionally.

I'm valuing it as a union of states.
You should value majority more.
All your pet victim groups have no chance in a system like that

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
casa_mugrienta said:
manbearpig said:
You’re still valuing it regionally vs the bigger picture of what it really is, a popular vote.
I'm not valuing it regionally.

I'm valuing it as a union of states.
You should value majority more.
All your pet victim groups have no chance in a system like that
False dichotomy.

If majority of Americans elected a president, minority groups would have equal rights, not less rights.

This is the face of EC:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
:roflmao:

Everyone already has equal rights. For some reason in your twisted mind you think that lack of special treatment means inequality

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:

Everyone already has equal rights. For some reason in your twisted mind you think that lack of special treatment means inequality

How the fvck would you know.

Are you a member of a minority group?

Tell us about your experience.

I'll wait.