The day surfing died in San Diego

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
update from a buddy this morning:
Well, More bad news for people that like to exercise. A cop just kicked me off the bike paths along mission bay.
Said this week is education. And next week is $1,000 citations. He said everything but streets and alleys are shutting down. I said where should we exercise cause gyms are closed? He said Streets and alleys.
Only beach open now is Coronado. Cause It's city of Coronado
:oops:

• Wow
Reactions: ANIMA and Kaido

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Cardiff state beach is open for business. It’s only city beaches that are shut. Torrey pines state beach parking is shut.

does SDPD or Encinitas PD have jurisdiction to ticket me at a state beach? Also it was my friends who got told the ocean was closed while paddling at moonlight out at the bouy. But they paddled out legally at an open beach. How can they enforce an ocean closure?

Reactions: sushipop

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
cant really blame them for this. they wanted to keep beaches and parks open for everyone and we abused that myself included. that said these neck of the woods are still open buisness
one of the issues this weekend was the amount of "out of town" people at the beach. i was told that a significant number of the parking citations written at a local beach were for people from the Inland Empire and other inland towns. If people had stayed in their own communities the beaches would have been a lot less crowded. So fvck you and your people @FresnoRipper :ROFLMAO::p

Reactions: CutnSnip

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
one of the issues this weekend was the amount of "out of town" people at the beach. i was told that a significant number of the parking citations written at a local beach were for people from the Inland Empire and other inland towns. If people had stayed in their own communities the beaches would have been a lot less crowded. So fvck you and your people @FresnoRipper :ROFLMAO::p
unfortunately i live in hollywood so no choice but to venture out of my hood to surf.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Problem are the people just gathering. Even yesterday I quickly jogged out to the water right past a family of 5 that were just sitting there hanging out on the boardwalk. WTF?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
CBS8: Police enforces beach closures in San Diego
“We need 100% compliance from the public. Officers will be continuing education, but moving to enforcement. Working together we will defeat this virus.” SDPD Cheif David Nisleit said as he discusses how his department will address the closures and compliance.
This is worse than AIDS

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Wealthier areas where people don't ride bikes, there's more elderly people, and there's little access and damn near zero public parking I can see not closing off the 8' wide easement and boardwalk onto the beach.

Jax Beach, there's nothing they could do. Nobody is going to listen unless they're getting fined, detained, or shot.

Even if they closed off every public lot, the side streets would just be packed. Nobody who lives East of A1A and parks on the street could leave their home after 4pm on weekdays or 9am on weekends. Just the people with houses who were pressured by everyone they know to let them park at their house would make it a madhouse.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Not closed. The news media was there interviewing people coming through last night.

As far as essential travel, I typed up a document on a Surf Aid letterhead stating I am providing a public health service to the local residents on how to socially distance from one another in the lineup.
closed to non essential travel. Good luck getting over and back with boards.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
cant really blame them for this. they wanted to keep beaches and parks open for everyone and we abused that myself included. that said these neck of the woods are still open buisness
How is using something that the dipshit mayors said to use abusing it?

OBSurvivor

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 25, 2013
PB such a thrashy place yet always flock back to occasionally. Crime pretty bad plus getting worse. Seen so many wild events there. Upside down Explorer right by the beach during a morning sesh. Fights and surfboards flying chaos lol. Also years ago got drunk so slept in my truck. Awoke to someone trying to steal my board. So long story short, PB shady however like any beach has its days especially at the good spots that I shall not name

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Wealthier areas where people don't ride bikes, there's more elderly people, and there's little access and damn near zero public parking I can see not closing off the 8' wide easement and boardwalk onto the beach.

Jax Beach, there's nothing they could do. Nobody is going to listen unless they're getting fined, detained, or shot.

Even if they closed off every public lot, the side streets would just be packed. Nobody who lives East of A1A and parks on the street could leave their home after 4pm on weekdays or 9am on weekends. Just the people with houses who were pressured by everyone they know to let them park at their house would make it a madhouse.
Down here in Brevard, it's not that crowded and people keep a pretty safe distance. It's about as crowded as a gloomy nor'easter day, except that it's clear/sunny and 80 degree plus (perfect beach weather). The image looks bad because as soon as someone sees a picture of someone laying out, and another setup 100 yards away it triggers a response that people should be staying home. The social distance threat is much much less than two neighbors in a high rise apartment complex on lockdown looking at each other from their porch.

Right now, it's almost as if we should just all stay home so that others in more dense parts of the country are not feeling FOMO.

Last edited:

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
as i drove down the coast this evening i saw o'side, carlsbad, cardiff all open for surfing

saw the swamis lot closed and instantly thought (what is that? a 5 minute jog from D street?)

Reactions: CutnSnip