The Biggest Single Tab Keel Fins

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
24 is small compared to the big boyz.

pretty sure the fcd set is pretty big, edit, nm theyre only 23 but do have a long base like hobie/stumps

I think I ant a set…

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
don’t think tim gave a number in his specs. I think tim is bigger tho based on two together.

tim has less cant than hobie.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
After reading the posts about the board from the OP there could be a left field fin solution for that troublesome board. The stiff trailing arms having surface area for hold further back and deeper in the water than the tips of keel fins. Could work. o_O
Also another possible way to skin this cat is by using double foiled fins. I recall reading on Alkali's website about Andrew Kidman's Big sky fins being double foiled for better control at higher speeds. From the website:

"The Twin Keel and High Aspect Twin both feature a double foil.
Basically, this allows the water to wrap around the fin as the fin travels through the water, similarly to the centre fin on a Thruster or Single Fin. The double foil helps stop cavitation in turning, as the water sucks around the fin rather than breaking off the edge of the flat inside surface. This gives the surfer more control and stops the fin from breaking free in the turn. It's a smoother feeling.

“I don't see any point in having a single foiled twin fin, and that's just my opinion. They're fast, but they slip - I can't stand that feeling of slip when I'm trying to hold the board in the water at max speed through a carve. If you want to have smooth control, double foiled is the go. With these fins, you have more control and a smaller profile to keep the speed.” Kidman
I ordered a pair of factory seconds keels to try in a favourite mini-Simmons that I ran half moon keels in. There was a big difference in the amount of control I had on larger waves when I rode it with the double foiled keels.

I have a pair of DVS twins that came with one of his 7' fish. Board felt quite stiff when I took it out in smaller waves for a first surf. Double foiled fins. Change to a single foil loosened it up nicely in the small stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Double foil theory confirmed as giving more hold combined with drive and good release with the DVS twins compared to the flat inside foiled Alkali twins which makes them even more fun to surf than also the Rasta keels which have similar drive and hold. So my take away from this is if you have a twin fin that feels too loose and skittish worth trying a set of double foiled fins in it rather than just going with larger and larger sets of fins that can end up eating into the boards maneuvreability.
There's a certain irony in finding out the best fins so far for this McNeill are a pair of DVS fins.
IMG_0644.jpgIMG_0645.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr and Havoc