The Biggest Single Tab Keel Fins

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
What are the biggest futures base keels?
My CC 5’8 fish with glassed on swept back keels is so solid in any waves, particularly waves with a bit of size and push. I also have a 5’8 CC with futures boxes. The difference between these boards is chalk and cheese. No matter what fins I use on the second board it is light, skatey and loose.......too loose. The biggest fins I have are the CC keels.
What other fins could I try to dial this board in? I’m about to sell it unless I can find some magic fins.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Which CC keels are you using? The honeycomb ones flex more than his fiberglass ones if your on those.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
according to TA and Stamps website
Stamps keel base is 7.5
Hobie keel base is 7.25
1601770037793.png
1601770060176.png

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Stamps look a little longer on the base but 1/4 inch shorter than the Hobbies which are 2” bigger area than the CC Especials. I am guessing the Stamps are not bigger than the Hobies. Cannot see an area number for the Stamps.
I will order some Hobies and give them a shot.
Cheers.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Aren’t those two the same?
similar enough that if you like one you will probably like the other.

stamps has less cant and more base. I’ll upload a pic of the two if i can figure it out.

I find that the stamps have a little better low end and hobies better for better waves.

Reactions: Havoc

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
What are the biggest futures base keels?
My CC 5’8 fish with glassed on swept back keels is so solid in any waves, particularly waves with a bit of size and push. I also have a 5’8 CC with futures boxes. The difference between these boards is chalk and cheese. No matter what fins I use on the second board it is light, skatey and loose.......too loose. The biggest fins I have are the CC keels.
What other fins could I try to dial this board in? I’m about to sell it unless I can find some magic fins.
I’ve had both CCs too. Unbelievable how different the glass ons are vs futures. I used CC captain fin keels and TA Hobies. I ended up selling my CC futures board. I’ve regretted once in mainland because I didn’t want to travel with glass ons but that’s it. Theoretically there shouldn’t be a big difference, but there is. I always “thought” I preferred being able to switch out fins for various reasons. Glass ons never appealed to me. Thought It was retro bs. Not true in this case. Having said that, I get futures form all else. Lmk if you discover a keel that works like the glass ons. I’d switch back for travel purposes.

Reactions: Homie

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
I’ve had both CCs too. Unbelievable how different the glass ons are vs futures. I used CC captain fin keels and TA Hobies. I ended up selling my CC futures board. I’ve regretted once in mainland because I didn’t want to travel with glass ons but that’s it. Theoretically there shouldn’t be a big difference, but there is. I always “thought” I preferred being able to switch out fins for various reasons. Glass ons never appealed to me. Thought It was retro bs. Not true in this case. Having said that, I get futures form all else. Lmk if you discover a keel that works like the glass ons. I’d switch back for travel purposes.
That’s so crazy. My fish with glass ons is 5’8 x 21 x 2 9/16
the futures fish is 5’8 x 21 1/4 x 2 1/2

They are about as different as a mid length versus a tiny groveller. Glad to hear it’s not just me. Did the Hobies make any difference? My two fish are on opposite sides of the globe. I’m jonesing for the glass on one right now!

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
That’s so crazy. My fish with glass ons is 5’8 x 21 x 2 9/16
the futures fish is 5’8 x 21 1/4 x 2 1/2

They are about as different as a mid length versus a tiny groveller. Glad to hear it’s not just me. Did the Hobies make any difference? My two fish are on opposite sides of the globe. I’m jonesing for the glass on one right now!
Yeah-when I was done with my original post I meant to suggest the hobies. I think it is as close as you get to the glass ons. The boards will still be night/day.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yeah-when I was done with my original post I meant to suggest the hobies. I think it is as close as you get to the glass ons. The boards will still be night/day.
Explain what the differences are in how the board works - glass vs futures.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I’m not as technical as a lot of you guys but I’ll try. I’m the same age and been surfing same amount of time as you Duffy. But I was trifin only. I learned on a small OP single fin because the older crew made the grooms start on singles to learn some good fundamentals. Then I quickly went tri and never deviated until 10 yrs ago or so. I say this because the pivot and control of 3 fins is home for me. With glass ons, they have way more control but also pivot. I can turn that fish off the top much cleaner than the futures. A bit more vertical. It also surfs much better backside. I’d passed up back side waves with the futures due to lack of confidence. And I grew up on some backside points. I got no issues backside with the glass ons. The futures did take some fun high lines like the board just wanted to do that that I don’t get with the glass ons. The futures had a bit more projection as well-probably due to a bit more fin flex.

-

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Explain what the differences are in how the board works - glass vs futures.
My two are night and day. I’m sure it has more than the fin set up to do with it.
Glass on board is very solid under the feet and really comes to life in waves with punch. I can put the board on a rail at speed with all my weight and it just carves through the turn gaining speed. The futures board feels like it has a much lighter glass job and is loose from everywhere on the board. All turns need to be nursed. If you drop a lot of weight on the back foot at any sort of speed the board just digs in and spins out.
Both paddle and catch waves well.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
My two are night and day. I’m sure it has more than the fin set up to do with it.
Glass on board is very solid under the feet and really comes to life in waves with punch. I can put the board on a rail at speed with all my weight and it just carves through the turn gaining speed. The futures board feels like it has a much lighter glass job and is loose from everywhere on the board. All turns need to be nursed. If you drop a lot of weight on the back foot at any sort of speed the board just digs in and spins out.
Both paddle and catch waves well.
did u check fin position? A maybe oneis set back more like griffin loves

Reactions: MathDebater