The best pizza?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
There is a line. Fucking people from Rio de Janeiro put ketchup in their pizzas, fucking blasphemy!
Animals.

We take our pizza very seriously here in São Paulo, big italian community and we do our pizza right. If you ever visit make sure to go at least once to a top notch pizzaria like Pizza do Brás or 1900. I liked pizzas I tried in the US but honestly nothing I tried even came close. I didn't try enough places though so not judging.
Overall I found the pizza throughout Brazil to be pretty good and often better than the average pizza here.

• Love
Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Animals.

Overall I found the pizza throughout Brazil to be pretty good and often better than the average pizza here.
I think you nailed it. I know that some of the best pizza places in the world are in the US (and I obviously didn't try them bc I'm not a fancy restaurant goer) . but when it comes to average everyday pizza it's hard to beat São Paulo. Can't speak for other states though... hell, even outside of the City of São Paulo quality starts to decrease real fast.

Reactions: grapedrink

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I don't know about that, I've been to the Giordano's in Naperville several times and it is pretty darn good.
Giardano's opened my eyes to Chicago style last year. I was a thin crust Margherita fresh-is-best type guy, but wow it was good. Traditionalists are missing out on a whole world of taste.

Best I've had though was a thin crust in Costa Rica

Reactions: npsp

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Giardano's opened my eyes to Chicago style last year. I was a thin crust Margherita fresh-is-best type guy, but wow it was good. Traditionalists are missing out on a whole world of taste.

I'm sure that non pizza tastes good. Sauce, dough and cheese... what could go wrong? It's just not pizza. lol

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Fair enough, I don't think you can eat it with your hands competently, so I'll disqualify it from pizza. Still mighty tasty.

I was under the impression Chicago style was thick 2" bread based off pizzahuts "Chicago deep dish". However, I learned that was actually Detroit style----- that stuff is garbage.... well I had one Detroit pizza at a joint called Blue Pan that was pretty tasty too

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

Ate a Giordano's thin crust pie in Chicago once, fukkin' good stuff!
Thick crust "Chicago-Style" pizza is just a gut-bomb. Not so good, IMO.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Fair enough, I don't think you can eat it with your hands competently, so I'll disqualify it from pizza. Still mighty tasty.

I was under the impression Chicago style was thick 2" bread based off pizzahuts "Chicago deep dish". However, I learned that was actually Detroit style----- that stuff is garbage.... well I had one Detroit pizza at a joint called Blue Pan that was pretty tasty too
Most "Chicago Style pizza" joints are anything but that, especially from a chain. It's too different and polarizing for most pallets so it's pretty tough to find anywhere except for in Chicago and the surrounding area. Which is fine by me :roflmao:

If you ever see "UNO" in the frozen aisle that's about as close as it gets in terms of commercialized Chicago style "pizza" at scale.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Most "Chicago Style pizza" joints are anything but that, especially from a chain. It's too different and polarizing for most pallets so it's pretty tough to find anywhere except for in Chicago and the surrounding area. Which is fine by me :roflmao:

If you ever see "UNO" in the frozen aisle that's about as close as it gets in terms of commercialized Chicago style "pizza" at scale.
My dads from chitown and he thinks uno's is alright good beer menue in orlando but numero unos in Ventura is one of his favorite long distance deep style:cheers:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Animals.

I had a surprisingly impressive pizza at a spot I stumbled into in Medellin Colombia just wandering through the city when we had some time to kill. It was a cool location with a nice outdoor patio overlooking the park. We chose it for the scenery not the food and had low expectations for the pizza itself and it was surprisingly good.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Looks nice. Is your water too cold or warm? Are you letting it proof? Warm water makes sticky dough, cold water makes stubborn dough. Use a candy thermometer and shoot for 100-105F :beer:
It was 100F and proofed for about 3 hours.

I put a couple of dough balls in the fridge and I’ll try them tomorrow or the next day to see if that helps. I’ve heard (on YouTube) that if you wait till the gluten starts to breakdown it will lose elasticity.

I used bread flour. Maybe it’s too glutenous?

Another factor is that the dough was in the kitchenaid (with the hook attachment) on medium for 6 minutes.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yes, probably too much bread flour because the gluten makes it chewier. I do 2 cups AP, 1.25 bread flour and 1.5 C water. I would at least experiment with 50/50.

Water temp and proofing sound good. 6 minutes doesn't sound excessive. Color and texture look great in the photo, would :beer:

Reactions: npsp and estreet

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
The last two weeks, I made myself one with aged parmesan, fresh mozzarella, provolone w/ bbq and ranch swirled, no red sauce. Threw it in the oven to cook and let the sauce caramelize. Then added chopped parsley and fresh basil. Very sweet.

I'd like to try something weird w/ some garlic aioli type sauce maybe this weekend.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The last two weeks, I made myself one with aged parmesan, fresh mozzarella, provolone w/ bbq and ranch swirled, no red sauce. Threw it in the oven to cook and let the sauce caramelize. Then added chopped parsley and fresh basil. Very sweet.

I'd like to try something weird w/ some garlic aioli type sauce maybe this weekend.
Posts like this make me wonder how many people claim that they invented BBQ chicken pizza :ROFLMAO: