That "Lift" you feel from your Fins

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
At the end of Backyards there is a section that pitches out intensely before entering the Bone yard

You can fly into it and ride on top of the lip until you tweek your board and fins to be thrown into flat several feet shore ward
The reduced fin tip area sets easily moving into the wider area increasing power for your next move - Great Fun !

That 4 " + long tip of you S wings would over plane and jump in a very unsettling manner unless you pointed them shoreward to get them to enter more gracefully , then get you crap together and move on - by that time you have been put on the live coral below ;-)
You have inadvertently proved my point.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
View attachment 126475
Get your hands on a set of these in the correct material for your weight and try them. They have a money back guarantee on the website fyi so thats pretty darn risk free. It's like installing propellers under your board. Apparently the keels are very stiff so stick to the ones that are made for twins/quads to get the full effect of drive/hold from the trailing tips in turns.
Anywhere to buy these besides online?

Also, run them in a Twinsman?

How about on a mid as a twin?

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia

They have a keel design for mid-twins, but the g10s might do the trick too.
Hugo just put an order in for some fins and JaM76 and I added ours in there with his. I was talking to him about the keels and he reckoned better off sticking with the G10's as the keels were even stiffer and so lowered the effect of the trailing arms flex. We have some of the 7" G10 singles on order for our Outliers.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bman76

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Hugo just put an order in for some fins and JaM76 and I added ours in there with his. I was talking to him about the keels and he reckoned better off sticking with the G10's as the keels were even stiffer and so lowered the effect of the trailing arms flex. We have some of the 7" G10 singles on order for our Outliers.
i would have loved some of this action! get me in next time.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Surfed at a sweet thigh-chest high beach break this morning. Took my 7' Hughies fish with the S-wings in it. Caught up to Craig who was on his 6'1" Hughies fish. He also owns a 6'8" mid fish from Hughies. Swapped boards with him and he caught a bunch of waves on the 7'er. Totally impressed with how responsive the board surfed. His board has Hobie keels in it. We then paddled in and swapped the fins over. Straight away his 6'1" was easier to paddle and far more responsive. He was raving about the difference the S-wings made once he could compare my 7'er with the Hobies in it as well. Turned the board into a cruiser with the Hobies. He's ordering some S-wings. Walking back up the beach he said he thought I was just talking them up and very dubious they would make much difference and also that they looked too weird for him to try but once he did he was an instant convert.

Last edited:

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
View attachment 126475
Get your hands on a set of these in the correct material for your weight and try them. They have a money back guarantee on the website fyi so thats pretty darn risk free. It's like installing propellers under your board. Apparently the keels are very stiff so stick to the ones that are made for twins/quads to get the full effect of drive/hold from the trailing tips in turns.
second this. They are epic.

And do get the right material, Ive got the G10 set but lost a fair bit of weight and they are a bit harder to get moving in weak surf.

JaM71

OTF status
Jul 12, 2013
GC, Australia
I have had a set of the red 520's in an 8ft fish for 3 years- s wings just work. They liven a board up, easier to turn and faster. I get that they look weird and are pricey but honestly, you can put them in any board and they improve the board. i have used my 520's in different twin fins and have a 6" volan single which I have used as a single and in a two plus one set up.

Looking forward to the 7" g10 for my outlier and glider- I am 100% certain they will be a gas.

They look so small particularly in midlengths and you think, I am not sure about this but you'll go faster and turn freely.

You can bag em if you like but I suggest don't knock em till you ve tried em

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Band aid for boxes way to forward :) no normal fin will do much there .

I created these for Reese who is loving his S wings 2 years ago
Just vary the length and shape of the trailing tip

I should’ve gone with these, foiling the s-wing shape is total bastard.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
At the end of Backyards there is a section that pitches out intensely before entering the Bone yard

You can fly into it and ride on top of the lip until you tweek your board and fins to be thrown into flat several feet shore ward
The reduced fin tip area sets easily moving into the wider area increasing power for your next move - Great Fun !
LOL .... Back in the day .... we used to call that section the "Devils @sshole" ... I still have a scar on my back from being impaled by coral in the flats.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Band aid for boxes way to forward :) no normal fin will do much there .

I created these for Reese who is loving his S wings 2 years ago
Just vary the length and shape of the trailing tip

Then there's the McCoy Gullwings.
The classic fins designed for the board thing...the gullwing single fin works great with the Astron zot model.