That "Lift" you feel from your Fins

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Sentence structure
What is a complete sentence? Sentences provide us with the framework for the clear written expression of our ideas. The aim in writing is always to write in complete sentences which are correctly punctuated.

Sentences always begin with a capital letter and end in either a full stop, exclamation, or question mark. A complete sentence always contains a verb, expresses a complete idea, and makes sense standing alone.

Greg thinks he knows stuff. This is a complete sentence as it contains a verb (thinks), expresses a complete idea and it does not need any further information for the reader to understand the sentence.

When Greg thinks is an incomplete sentence. It contains a verb, but the opening word when tells us that something happens when Greg thinks; we need more information to complete the idea. When Greg thinks, he likes to type. This is now a complete sentence, as the whole idea of the sentence has been expressed. There is another theory. Which should not be ignored. There is another theory that should not be ignored, Greg thinks he knows stuff other people don't know.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm not sure why Futures are installed on boards that use keels. eg new CI Fish. Futures boxes and UL glassing galore.

Also GG's fins are dank. Get a set and get 'em in something with some space and time and let 'em run.

Reactions: santacruzin

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I’m actually really interested in this Greg, thanks for bringing it up. Are you inferring that the way water hits the base creates lift AND the area/width of a fin’s base effects the amount of lift AND cutting out a part of the base (often seen in wider based futures fins) regardless of other fin attributes will diminish the amount of lift achieved? Can you show a couple examples of fins you feel would diminish lift? Also, to clarify your definition of lift — do you mean the lift you would feel in the tail of your board rising in the water or are you referring to lateral lift created by the fins perpendicular to the tail and felt while turning?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Also, to clarify your definition of lift — do you mean the lift you would feel in the tail of your board rising in the water or are you referring to lateral lift created by the fins perpendicular to the tail and felt while turning?
Lifting up planing on the surface of the board and surface of the fin
Fins are more than rudders , in a really good wave you feel a slight hovering , that "Magic" feel

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'm not sure why Futures are installed on boards that use keels. eg new CI Fish. Futures boxes and UL glassing galore.

Also GG's fins are dank. Get a set and get 'em in something with some space and time and let 'em run.
Hobie keels, Futures base with that giant cut out work really really well.

To say or imply that these fins/setup are wrong, inferior, less than, etc. is absurd.

Different? Sure.

Better? Depends. Not as good? Depends.

Think of it like this…the Merrick fins…large or mediums?

Which fin is better?

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Lifting up planing on the surface of the board and surface of the fin
Fins are more than rudders , in a really good wave you feel a slight hovering , that "Magic" feel
This is really helpful. I often forget that water deflects off the fins up towards the surface of the board and not just down and away as it passes across the template of the fin.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Hobie keels, Futures base with that giant cut out work really really well.

To say or imply that these fins/setup are wrong, inferior, less than, etc. is absurd.

Different? Sure.

Better? Depends. Not as good? Depends.

Think of it like this…the Merrick fins…large or mediums?

Which fin is better?
I respectfully disagree.

My criticism is more of the Futures box + keels. Cutaway appears to be the only option in order to actually get the fin into the box. I have three sets of Futures keels, the Controller, the Rasta, and the Stamps. I love the Stamps.

FCS appears to allow cutaway fins and fins with the full base.

I yolo'd a rack board with futures that I want to put keels in. It goes great with the Stamps for my preferences. But it'd be better with FCS Griffin keels in it, if my other Bean Bag is any indication. I'm riding this board in tiny mush - so far I've spent more time shuffling and cheater 5-ing than I have actually doing turns, and I'm generally going slow in logmush, so I don't think I'm at risk of busting a fin or a box because the base on the Futures is really far forward, but there's a shitload of fin area aft of where the base ends, increasing torsional load on the box.

I bet if I yolo'd a UL-glassed CI fish with Futures boxes and took it to some decent point surf, that might be more of a problem at real speeds in real surf.

YMMV.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
exactly.

I bet if I yolo'd a UL-glassed CI fish with Futures boxes and took it to some decent point surf, that might be more of a problem at real speeds in real surf.
I have a CI skinny fish UL glass futures with Hobies and it’s quite possibly the best board I’ve ever ridden in reeling points

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
exactly.

I have a CI skinny fish UL glass futures with Hobies and it’s quite possibly the best board I’ve ever ridden in reeling points
Glad you like it. Would be interested why you said the new one was no bueno.

I think the point stands, the futures box (requires cutaway and has lots of area aft of the base) is an inferior box for keel fins than FCS in this context.

Greg (who forgets more about fin foil and fins as augmentation to planing dropping his morning deuce than I'll ever know) is also telling us the requirement of Futures box to have cutaway negatively affects this.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Glad you like it. Would be interested why you said the new one was no bueno.

I think the point stands, the futures box (requires cutaway and has lots of area aft of the base) is an inferior box for keel fins than FCS in this context.

Greg (who forgets more about fin foil and fins as augmentation to planing dropping his morning deuce than I'll ever know) is also telling us the requirement of Futures box to have cutaway negatively affects this.
The new CI fish has shitty fin placement for starters.

As for the cutaway being “inferior“ or “negatively affects” are judgements, opinions, and may not be true in all conditions on all boards with all fins for all surfers.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I respectfully disagree.

My criticism is more of the Futures box + keels. Cutaway appears to be the only option in order to actually get the fin into the box. I have three sets of Futures keels, the Controller, the Rasta, and the Stamps. I love the Stamps.

FCS appears to allow cutaway fins and fins with the full base.

I yolo'd a rack board with futures that I want to put keels in. It goes great with the Stamps for my preferences. But it'd be better with FCS Griffin keels in it, if my other Bean Bag is any indication. I'm riding this board in tiny mush - so far I've spent more time shuffling and cheater 5-ing than I have actually doing turns, and I'm generally going slow in logmush, so I don't think I'm at risk of busting a fin or a box because the base on the Futures is really far forward, but there's a shitload of fin area aft of where the base ends, increasing torsional load on the box.

YMMV.
IMG_20220318_093030_HDR.jpg
Get your hands on a set of these in the correct material for your weight and try them. They have a money back guarantee on the website fyi so thats pretty darn risk free. It's like installing propellers under your board. Apparently the keels are very stiff so stick to the ones that are made for twins/quads to get the full effect of drive/hold from the trailing tips in turns.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
View attachment 126475
Get your hands on a set of these in the correct material for your weight and try them. The have a money back guarantee on the website fyi so thats pretty darn risk free. It's like installing propellers under your board. Apparently the keels are very stiff so stick to the ones that are made for twins/quads to get the full effect of drive/hold from the trailing tips in turns.
Balsa?