Tesla engineering HQ leaving Texas to return to California, Musk announces

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Probably aren't as many smart people in TX
Once you have an established hub for a specific industry it’s pretty hard to recreate that elsewhere and convince all the big players and top talent to move. Just like Hollywood will always be in Hollywood no matter how cheap it is to make movies in Georgia.

Looks like the manufacturing will stay in Texas :unsure:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Once you have an established hub for a specific industry it’s pretty hard to recreate that elsewhere and convince all the big players and top talent to move. Just like Hollywood will always be in Hollywood no matter how cheap it is to make movies in Georgia.

Maybe cuz’ the big players know you won’t stay. And Texas culture ain’t as amazing as Texans claim.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

”Thursday, the company also clarified in a tweet that the company's headquarters will remain in Austin and the new engineering headquarters will be the primary operations for Tesla engineering.”

This is a NEW engineering headquarters and nothing is leaving Texas.

I wonder what kind of deal Newsom gave him….

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Top talent will find new industries altogether rather than work in places like Hollywood and Silicon Valley on their current trajectories. This is why Peter Thiel went into s/w and got out of law.

As for this, it looks like a backroom deal has been struck. There is plenty of talent in Texas for EVs which are not a technical challenge.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Top talent will find new industries altogether rather than work in places like Hollywood and Silicon Valley on their current trajectories. This is why Peter Thiel went into s/w and got out of law.
I’m a believer in transferable skills and have used that tactic in my own career journey for the better but I’m not sure where else you go from big tech salaries without taking a significant financial haircut and/or going back to school :unsure:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I’m a believer in transferable skills and have used that tactic in my own career journey for the better but I’m not sure where else you go from big tech salaries without taking a significant financial haircut and/or going back to school :unsure:
Most R&D salaries up there aren’t great compared to COL. The “growth” s/w companies were able to pay in shares but only while the stock price was growing - you can’t dilute share when the stock price is falling.

A large number of people with engineering degrees get out of it. S/W development is just in a boom, but it used to pay a lot less than other disciplines.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Tesla‘s market share has been shrinking since the other manufacturers began offering EVs.

Once GM, Ford, VW and Kia/Hyundai ramp up production, Tesla is likely going to become a niche segment. Especially IF (that’s a big if) the big companies can make the prices more affordable.

As the owner of an EV commuter, I would love to have an electric Truck to replace my old Montero. But I’m not going to pay $80k for one.

The market will drive the prices eventually and even Tesla will have to adjust or sink