Surfing & Pop Culture: What are your favourites?

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Goodfish said:
test_article said:
Shouldn't I be glad if pop culture doesn't get surfing right?
Yes, by all means. If that's important to you. Personally, I don't care either way. If they get it, then that's cool. If they don't, then that's Point Break. Which is also cool. :roflmao:
Yeah yeah, everything is everything. It's just that the article could've been entitled Why doesn't surfing live up to its hype?

Either way, no one has an objective answer.

Pop culture, please give us a down and dirty fantasy on surf territorialism.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
test_article said:
Goodfish said:
test_article said:
Shouldn't I be glad if pop culture doesn't get surfing right?
Yes, by all means. If that's important to you. Personally, I don't care either way. If they get it, then that's cool. If they don't, then that's Point Break. Which is also cool. :roflmao:
Yeah yeah, everything is everything. It's just that the article could've been entitled Why doesn't surfing live up to its hype?

Either way, no one has an objective answer.

Pop culture, please give us a down and dirty fantasy on surf territorialism.
I think the joy we all get from surfing is self-evident and beyond dispute. I love it, don't you? So the actual act is pure in its joy, but cannot be replicated or reproduced. I think the point of the article is that films are not really able to truly represent this joy. The hype is in the inadequate movies, not the act of surfing itself. Which is hardly a surprise because listening to a song is always going to be better than reading a description of what the song is like.

But anyway...It's still fun to share the surf-related songs, movies and books we like.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Asking about surfing representation in pop culture is like asking for ejaculation representation.

Don't get me wrong. I love ejaculating.

But I get that it's kinda gross.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
There are only two surf movies: Big Wednesday and Apocalypse Now.

The rest is rubbish.

On a side note: Milius and I share an attorney and although he is getting old and in poor health, I got to meet him and was pretty star struck. A legit surfer and an incredible writer and a very cool guy, for a crazy right wing gun nut! There was a moment in time when he and Oliver Stone were the two swinging d!cks as far as Hollywood writers go, and they produced some amazing material.

PeederNorteRips

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2008
In Your Face
Visit site
youcantbeserious said:
There are only two surf movies: Big Wednesday and Apocalypse Now.
Your second choice is not a surf movie, and Milius is a kook. World class c u nt, given what he did to Billy Hamilton. IMO, if you f*ck with Billy you have to be a major c u nt.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
I have no idea what a "surf movie" is, and I have no idea what Milius "did to" Billy Hamilton. Why don't you lay some of your dope insider knowledge on us, and while you are at it, use your real handle.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Billys let it go ..... to some extent
It still hurt though
Billy's a great story teller
Next time you come over, brah!!
I'll get him ...... and a bottle of Scotch
Good fun traveling with him
Love and Aloha from Kauai's north shore, My Friend.
:wave2:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
bookbook- the haole substitute, walt novak
movie - PacificVibrations or some of Hal Jepsen's early ones with BK, Terry, Surf Muscle and Jocko
music - psyching AhViaMusicom/Johnson, during Surfingwiththe Alien/Satriani, apres Koke'e/Kamakahi