Surfer dies at Rincon following collision with another surfer...

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
There are a few spots here that have become popular with travel-throughs. Seen some real barneys out last 10 years, but luckily most people in the water here seem to know how to surf. But each year the crowds seem to get worse by small increments, even way up here. It's crazy to think how much the central coast has changed in the last 20 years.

Reactions: Havoc

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
This is the first time I've seriously considered quitting surfing since I started. It's getting impossible to have fun with the crowds. You have the good surfers who are frustrated and pissed off, and the hordes of clueless beginners, and the people with huge senses of entitlement because their surf coach told them they rip even though they can barely surf. That's a thing now.

I only feel safe when there are less than five people out, and guess how often that happens?

And all these years I've been wishing for a plague to thin out the crowds.:foreheadslap:

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Drove by around 9 o'clock. Looked waist-chest high (maybe) and sloppy. There must have been a large board involved or some sort of heart issue or something. But I can't think of another time I've seen/heard of both parties winding up in the hospital.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
California must have some of the worst crowds in the world, EASY. Rincon probably at the top of the list.

I remember how odd it was that it was more crowded at first light than it was after 9, 10am. I guess it's because of the proximity to really big cities, people gotta go to work but they're close enough to squeeze a surf in every day.
Rincon is a sh!t show full of adult learners on 1500+ dollar hulls and other shitty designs that are tough enough for even skilled surfers to control.

Every other spot....especially point breaks have adult learners crammed together just in front of where the waves are generally breaking. They don't have the skill to move around when waves approach so they just sit there wide eyed. Lots of yelling and commotion in the lineup but its just getting worse.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Guy A almost got himself run over the other day.

Guy B tried to explain nicely he needs to watch out and how things work - this was met with Guy A acting pissy and refusing to admit he had done anything wrong.

45 minutes later Guy A does the same thing AGAIN, resulting in collision with Guy B.

Guy A assaults Guy B with his fist and flees the scene.

Guy B chases after him into the parking lot, where Guy A accuses him of being aggressive toward him in the water when Guy B nicely told him the way things work and also accuses Guy B of "running me over."

We're living in upside down Clown World. The idiots are winning.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Guy A almost got himself run over the other day.

Guy B tried to explain nicely he needs to watch out and how things work - this was met with Guy A acting pissy and refusing to admit he had done anything wrong.

45 minutes later Guy A does the same thing AGAIN, resulting in collision with Guy B.

Guy A assaults Guy B with his fist and flees the scene.

Guy B chases after him into the parking lot, where Guy A accuses him of being aggressive toward him in the water when Guy B nicely told him the way things work and also accuses Guy B of "running me over."

We're living in upside down Clown World. The idiots are winning.
not just in the water too lol!

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
This is the first time I've seriously considered quitting surfing since I started. It's getting impossible to have fun with the crowds. You have the good surfers who are frustrated and pissed off, and the hordes of clueless beginners, and the people with huge senses of entitlement because their surf coach told them they rip even though they can barely surf. That's a thing now.

I only feel safe when there are less than five people out, and guess how often that happens?

And all these years I've been wishing for a plague to thin out the crowds.:foreheadslap:
So it was YOUR fault!! Bruja! J/k luv u mean it

• Haha
Reactions: Witchipoo

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
Drove by around 9 o'clock. Looked waist-chest high (maybe) and sloppy. There must have been a large board involved or some sort of heart issue or something. But I can't think of another time I've seen/heard of both parties winding up in the hospital.
LA Times says both of the surfers had head injuries

If COVID goes away do things go back to normal?

Or is this the new normal?