Surfer dies at Rincon following collision with another surfer...

Apr 6, 2015
From the Ventura County Star:

Surfer recounts fatal incident at Rincon Point

https://www.vcstar.com/videos/news/2021/03/09/surfer-recounts-fatal-incident-rincon-point/4624846001/

Sounds like Gerry went head first into a very shallow area “knee deep”.

RIP
Yep. Sounds like he hit his head on a rock in the shallows in the Cove. Wow. Certainly the other surfer who got in his way bears some responsibility - as an experienced surfer, Gerry would have just kicked out had they not collided.

People die from hitting their head in relatively mundane circumstances all the time. Liam Neeson's wife (Natasha Richardson?) hit her head on a bunny hill while learning to ski, and died hours later. Dr. Atkins of Atkins Diet fame slipped on the ice outside his office in NY and died. Wouldn't have mattered if the wave was small - getting unexpectedly launched off your board into the shallows anywhere could do it, if you land wrong.

RIP

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
This mentality has been affecting me more and more. I swear Honolua is more crowded this winter on "meh" days and it's always been crowded on good days, vs my kite control has gotten to the point where I can surf any wave however I want without the kite falling out of the sky. The end result is I have so much fun riding so many waves with no one in the way while kiting vs banging elbows for a few okay rides while surfing. It makes it hard to motivate to surf anymore.

wait till you start FOILSURF!...then you REALLY WONT CARE about regular surfing anymore...youll actually go LOOKING for the crappy junky mushy slow waves!