Surf contests on Calif. public land will have to include females

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
OOD NEWS
Surf contests on Calif. public land will have to include females
And don't call them Surfer Girls
By Ken Harrison, Feb. 19, 2019

Former Encinitas city councilwoman, Tasha Boerner Horvath, has held her 76th District Assembly seat for just ten weeks. Usually freshmen legislators take up to six months to start legislating. However, on February 14, Boerner Horvath (D-Encinitas) announced her first bill.

Assembly Bill 467 will require equality in prize payouts in male and female sports contests held on state controlled lands and waterways, and require the inclusion of females in such permitted contests.
Tasha Boerner Horvath and family: "We have an opportunity to craft a brighter, more equal future."

Tasha Boerner Horvath and family: "We have an opportunity to craft a brighter, more equal future."

TASHA4ASSEMBLY.COM

The genesis for the bill came from California’s official sport – surfing. Organizers of the annual Mavericks Challenge in Northern California’s Half Moon Bay did not have a category for female surfers since the contest began in 1999. In 2018, permitting for the event by the California Coastal Commission and the State Lands Commission required a women’s category and equitable prize compensation, and the 2019 contest will include female surfers.

“I do not want my daughter, or my son for that matter, growing up in a world where we value the contributions of one gender more than the other,” said Boerner Horvath. “That does not represent California’s values, and we have an opportunity to craft a brighter, more equal future with this bill.”

Assembly members and leaders of female sports organizations say AB 467 is aimed at addressing long-standing gender pay disparities in competitive sports.

“These incredible athletes are competing on the same level as men – they deserve equity in their prize winnings on our public lands,” said co-author Assemblyperson Lorena Gonzalez (D-San Diego).

The bill was formally announced on February 14, at Cardiff State Beach. Known as the “Equal Pay for Equal Play” measure, the bill will begin the committee hearing process next month in the state legislature, and if passed by both houses, on Governor Newsom’s desk by October.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/h9EAoSU"><a href="//imgur.com/h9EAoSU">&quot;That&#39;s such a lovely dolphin, let me hug it&quot; - lady</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
"These incredible athletes are competing on the same level as men – they deserve equity in their prize winnings on our public lands,” said co-author Assemblyperson Lorena Gonzalez (D-San Diego"

Yes, compete together then
May the best surfer win

** Why segregate, I thought segregation is frowned upon

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
does that include ALL state land? Like, if a ball sport is played on state land then women will need to be on the field with the men? Or is this just targeting waterways?

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
laidback said:
"These incredible athletes are competing on the same level as men – they deserve equity in their prize winnings on our public lands,” said co-author Assemblyperson Lorena Gonzalez (D-San Diego"

Yes, compete together then
May the best surfer win

** Why segregate, I thought segregation is frowned upon
Separate but equal

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So you can't have an all-mens contest?

What about an all-women's contest?

Why do you people keep voting for people who think this way?

And the thing is, this will pass.

Big round of applause for one party rule.

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
Awright! The erBB He-Man Woman Haters Club is in the house! :jam_on: :jam_on: :jam_on:

But seriously: :barf:

How is this hurting you? What are you afraid of?

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
Kento said:
Just get rid of all the contests.

Everyone wins.
I am 100% down with this. Why do they get to monopolize public land for their little games? I just want to go surfing, and I don't care about anyone's "career" if it interferes with me being able to surf.

Surf contests are the enemy of surfers. Keep them in the wave pool.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Witchipoo said:
Awright! The erBB He-Man Woman Haters Club is in the house! :jam_on: :jam_on: :jam_on:

There is nothing I hate more than disapproval or disagreement being characterized as fear. It is a way to belittle the very valid opinions of those you disagree with.

This, just like transgenders competing against normal people, only hurts women in the long run

dl4060

OTF status
Jun 4, 2009
Witchipoo said:

I'm not sure how wanting men and women to compete against each other is being afraid of something.

I would suggest these people look in a different direction. From what I have been told, the women's national soccer team generates more revenue than the men's, yet they are paid the same. I have not researched this. Now THAT is not fair. If they are generating more revenue they should be paid more.

I really don't know if surf contests generate any revenue or not. But to say they are equal? How so? If someone holds a power lifting contest and the man who wins benches 500 and the woman who wins benches 300 I fail to see how that is an equal level of performance. There are some incredible female surfers, but I really don't see how they are the equal of the men. If they generate equal revenue, or equal exposure for sponsors, they should be paid equally, whatever the sport. If not, they shouldn't. It is that simple.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Some of y'all seem to be having a hard time understanding that this still allows for a men's division and a women's division. Good to see you're all so worried about women being forced to compete with the men and not having a chance to win, but it appears your white knighting is unnecessary. :pokestick: