Superbrand Pigdog vs. Ghost

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Thanks dirtandrib :) Great concave shots. There is nothing in the concave that explains the more tracky performance of the PigDog. I was wondering if the double concave was set in a V with the stringer sitting higher, but that is not the case. Instead it must be the other things mentioned in this thread. Rocker comparison pic below taken from the websites of super and pyzel - those must have come from 3d renders from the shaping software which I think would be present something accurately representing the real shape, but maybe the renders use different aspect ratio.

Nothing stands out from that either although the visual and ride descriptions given in this thread indicate higher rocker in the Ghost. Your middle pic clearly shows more planing area up the front of the PigDog, more forward oriented template does give a board a larger turning radius.

Your straight edge shots do show fairly pinched rails in the tail. This would cause the tail to sit more buried in the wave and give more stability and less performance.
PigDogVsGhost.png

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
The PigDog rocker feels flatter and more staged where the Ghost feels like a continuous curve.

They have a very different feel in the water.

Not sure if I mentioned this above but I can't think of a situation where I'd prefer the PigDog to the Ghost quite honestly. Not to say the PigDog isn't a good board but between the two, the Ghost is just so much more versitile and doens't give up much if any to the PigDog even in take off and pull in barrels where turning isn't a big factor.

Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
The PigDog rocker feels flatter and more staged where the Ghost feels like a continuous curve.

They have a very different feel in the water.

Not sure if I mentioned this above but I can't think of a situation where I'd prefer the PigDog to the Ghost quite honestly. Not to say the PigDog isn't a good board but between the two, the Ghost is just so much more versitile and doens't give up much if any to the PigDog even in take off and pull in barrels where turning isn't a big factor.
The description on the Pyzel website is that the Ghost has lowish rocker up front and plenty of tail rocker. The reason why I asked for a straight edge concave photo is that it is easy to obtain and the Ghost tail contours were getting a lot of attention on the Ghost Vs Blackbird thread - Pyzel even supplied a slice from the design program. Not many here have convenient rocker sticks to measure their boards.

Another thing which is easy to obtain and can have a big influence on turning is fin distances from tail. Fin toe in can have a big effect too. If anyone here has both boards and can get distance of trailing edge to tail for comparison that would be interesting. I use a long flexible batten to measure toe in, but less accurate measurements can be obtained by just subtracting distance between front leading edge and trailing edge.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I'll whack my toe-in batten on my Ghost tomorrow, Mr J. For your viewing pleasure :)

• Love

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Here you go, Mr J.

Outside of batten flush against inside of fin. (Did 3 measurements, each time making sure the batten was hard up against the fin. Science degree, and all that.) Bit of parallax taking a phone pic up close, but 2 1/4" was what I read.

1608752420245.png

• Love

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
... Outside of batten flush against inside of fin. (Did 3 measurements, each time making sure the batten was hard up against the fin. Science degree, and all that.) Bit of parallax taking a phone pic up close, but 2 1/4" was what I read.
Cheers Maz, 2" out from nose is very normal for a HPSB. I would expect a 6' 3" squash tail board to have rear fin about 3 1/2" up from tail and front fins about 11 1/4". Ghost is rounded pin tail and on the narrow side, so I would expect them to be forward from those positions - if it is not too much to ask, could you tell me if this is the situation?

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Measuring off the nose is meaningless

You use the toe in you want for the effect you want on any length board
When, You explained this to us here https://forum.surfer.com/index.php?threads/fin-toe-in.228226/post-3197342 I realised that your way of determining toe in is more meaningful than the single recipe 2" out from nose. For the narrow range of HBSB board lengths I ride that from nose measurement method does work and has some accuracy advantages. I don't have the in-depth level of understanding you do about toe in on different board types.

Merry Christmas Greg.