Superbrand Pigdog vs. Ghost

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Anyone ridden both? I’m on the lookout for a used step up for larger south LA beachbreak (Hammerland, Breakwall and Burnout) when things are beyond my 5’11 Fever, which would be approaching DOH.

I guess I’d be looking for either a 6’ OG Ghost, or a 5’10 Pigdog, which still seems weird looking back on what I was riding at these spots 20 years ago (6’6 - 7’4 boards). I know step ups at these size aren’t long enough to easily get into the upper end waves at these spots. I’ve lost the motivation for paddling (jumping off in Breakwall’s case) out on the biggest days and am content in the sub TOH days. I don’t remember seeing anything in the last six years around my area that I wouldn’t be comfortable paddling out in.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I havent ridden one. Was thinking of that, slayer or ghost and ended up with the ghost Pigdog I think has a wider nose which is why I passed on it.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Lived there for several years (definitely not a local but have surfed all the spots a bunch). Pigdog would be fun at burnout. The other spots I would prefer something like a ghost or blackbird. And I really wish I had a board like that back then.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i have both but my pigdog is oversized (pro) stock dims that I bought when I was coming off an injury. 6-5 ghost, 6-6 pigdog. I'm 6-3 tall.

pigdog has wider nose and tail and I think lower rocker as well. slight beak nose so more foam up front too. maybe at a shorter length it would be more versatile but to me it feels like basically just a tube shooter. it works great at that. super good paddler, gets into waves and holds a line through a barrel as good as any board I've ridden. definitely more built in speed than a ghost. if it's not barreling though it's a pretty stiff ride. the tail doesn't want to release off the top and it draws very wide arcs. i actually really like the pigdog pro in the waves it's designed for. I got some great tubes on it and I wish we had the conditions for it more often.

ghost is definitely more versatile. great on late drops. holds well in the barrel with the narrow tail. it isn't the ez mode tube shooter of the pigdog. you have to work a little more to catch waves and make speed. it is still very fun in waves that are bigger but not tubing though and since where I'm at we rarely get super obvious tube-only sessions I rode the ghost a lot more often. eventually i got a shorter 6-3 ghost which I liked even more.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Exactly what Aruka said.

Had a 5'10 PigDog and a 6'0 Ghost (I'm 5'10/160).

PigDog is stiff and straight and good for tubes but not much else. Paddles well, gets into waves well.

Ghost is pretty versatile. Paddled probably as good as Pig Dog but more curve overall.

The PigDog feels pretty crude compared to the foil and rocker of the Ghost.

With the Ghost I can surf a chest high and snap it in a tight pocket as well as dropping into overhead barrels. The PigDog feels like it needs a way bigger wave to have the space to put on rail.

Sold the PigDog, kept the Ghost.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
i have both but my pigdog is oversized (pro) stock dims that I bought when I was coming off an injury. 6-5 ghost, 6-6 pigdog. I'm 6-3 tall.

pigdog has wider nose and tail and I think lower rocker as well. slight beak nose so more foam up front too. maybe at a shorter length it would be more versatile but to me it feels like basically just a tube shooter. it works great at that. super good paddler, gets into waves and holds a line through a barrel as good as any board I've ridden. definitely more built in speed than a ghost. if it's not barreling though it's a pretty stiff ride. the tail doesn't want to release off the top and it draws very wide arcs. i actually really like the pigdog pro in the waves it's designed for. I got some great tubes on it and I wish we had the conditions for it more often.

ghost is definitely more versatile. great on late drops. holds well in the barrel with the narrow tail. it isn't the ez mode tube shooter of the pigdog. you have to work a little more to catch waves and make speed. it is still very fun in waves that are bigger but not tubing though and since where I'm at we rarely get super obvious tube-only sessions I rode the ghost a lot more often. eventually i got a shorter 6-3 ghost which I liked even more.
Dang, now I want to try a pigdog. What dims are your 6'5" ghost? edit: how the heck does a 6'4" pigdog have 38L at 2-5/8 thick?

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My ghost is custom 6-5 x 19.25 x 2.5 31L

Pigdoggy pro 6-6 x 19.75 x 2.6 34-35L ( i think)

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
I have both, well my Pigdog is Lynn Shell's hand shape and locally glassed iteration of the Super Pig Dog. But I think the Pig Dog was a specialty design for Outer Banks tube hounds (Jesse Hines first then Brett Barley), or at least has some origins with Lynn Shell, Jesse Hines and the original Super Collective of Shapers.

The short end of my interpretations and experiences is that the PigDog is more like a step up for getting into the wave and then holding a line in tube with confidence and kicking out or laying down a longer arc. But it is does not feel as shortboardy as my Ghost. The Ghost is very shortboardy if not completely and truly a shortboard for good shaped waist high and up. For my purposes I much prefer the Pyzel Ghost. I would say that I can paddle in a lineup with current and paddle into waves with a lot water moving better on the Pigdog. But the later drops and everything else I would prefer the way the Ghost handles.

The longer explanatory version is:
My Pigdog and Ghost are both 6'1. The Shell Shapes Pig Dog is 19.75 x 2.5 while the Pyzel Ghost is 19.5 x 2.65. The Pigdog has more volume due to the wider front half. Their foil is different though similar. Pigdog carries more foam forward through the nose with the little beakish nose (mine is very, very subtle), yet has a lower rail. I know Lynn Shell prefers lower rails on his designs. The Ghost carries more volume in the center and in the rail, but it is still a nice performance rail. The tails are very similar. The concave are also similar.

The Ghost is a shortboard for me. The Pigdog is a step up speciality board. The Outer Banks waves at size are slabby waves into the tube that often is either a closeout or a deep throaty one. It can be a full commitment and gamble kind of wave. You are often just kicking at the end or trying to find the door out. Thus the Pigdog's origins and intended purpose. Get it shorter if you want to have mobile in the tube and on the face. My 6'1 is more gunny for me at 5'10. The back half of the board is a gunnish design. Holds and is solid to stand on. But don't expect it to feel like a narrow nosed board.

The Pyzel Ghost is much more sensitive and "twitchy" than the Pigdog. Can turn in a tighter radius much more easily while it is still a very drivey design that carries speed into the turn and uniquely out of the turn. But I also would say the Ghost is one of my all time favorites. Lot's of front foot glide but then a solid yet loose back foot. It makes sense why it is such a good rocker for John John Florence. I like mine in waist to chest high punchy beach break but I would not even consider the Pigdog in that surf.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
So if I ride my ghost at 6'5-6'6 and my hpsb at 6'5 what length should I do a pigdog? Im big/tall but not overweight and just want a board that makes hard barrels easier.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
It is interesting to read all of your descriptions of how the Pigdog goes. There is unanimous agreement that it is more stable and stiff than the Ghost. It would be good to understand why.

Those of you who have one in your possession, would you mind putting a straight edge across the hull tail, right in front of the rear fin? A measurement 6" up from tail would be good, but right in front of the fin saves you having to pull it out. Then either get a pic like this one and/or describe what you see i.e does the straight edge rock back and forth on a V or does it sit flat on each rail? Any concave shows and what type, V double, double set flat or double in a single concave?

Also distance of rear fin trailing edge from tail would be great.

This is what I mean
TailContour.jpg

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
It's not really a mystery.

The PigDog is flatter and tail is more of a pin. I was kinda shocked how low the nose rocker was in a board made for bigger, heavier surf but it works because it's meant to be ridden shorter.

If you picked one up, you'd immediately think that it's made to hold a straight line. The Ghost has a lot more curve in the rocker. It's not overly rockered but it's a continuous curve and feels a lot more like it's made to turn.

It is interesting to read all of your descriptions of how the Pigdog goes. There is unanimous agreement that it is more stable and stiff than the Ghost. It would be good to understand why.

Reactions: Mr J and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
It's not really a mystery.

The PigDog is flatter and tail is more of a pin. I was kinda shocked how low the nose rocker was in a board made for bigger, heavier surf but it works because it's meant to be ridden shorter.

If you picked one up, you'd immediately think that it's made to hold a straight line. The Ghost has a lot more curve in the rocker. It's not overly rockered but it's a continuous curve and feels a lot more like it's made to turn.
I would also add that the outline itself, with the wider nose and tail, has much less curve. So, less rocker curve and less outline curve = not as easy to turn.

From memory the Pigdog has more pronounce double con and maybe more vee.

Reactions: Mr J