Sugar

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Sugar? You ever start eating jelly bellies? Keep those away from me.
Jelly Bellies are OK, but my go-tos are Bit O'Honey, Twizzlers Cherry Pulls, Hot Tamales. Snickers Almond (FKA Mars Bar). Also Spice Drops. Hot Tamales are fuckin dangerous though. Once a month or so I go to the Dollar Tree and buy 4 different candies, each some of each and throw the rest away. Donuts? Fuggetaboutit.
I love to just eat an avocado with a spoon

I don’t understand people who don’t like them
I hated avocado when I was a kid, but at some point that changed. Love eating them alone with a spoon, maybe a little sprinkle of salt or some other seasoning.

Reactions: Ifallalot

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Jelly Bellies are OK, but my go-tos are Bit O'Honey, Twizzlers Cherry Pulls, Hot Tamales. Snickers Almond (FKA Mars Bar). Also Spice Drops. Hot Tamales are fuckin dangerous though. Once a month or so I go to the Dollar Tree and buy 4 different candies, each some of each and throw the rest away. Donuts? Fuggetaboutit.

I hated avocado when I was a kid, but at some point that changed. Love eating them alone with a spoon, maybe a little sprinkle of salt or some other seasoning.
Where I was in Africa they ate avocados with sugar. They were known as "butter pears." THe first time I was served this I almost spit it out because I was not expecting it. I thought it was salt. I try to make guacamole a couple times a week. Good for endothelial health.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
3) There is a thing, I forget the term, but basically sugars in an apple and a Snickers might be the same, chemically, however, the apple has other things that work together with the sugars to help our bodies process the sugar more effectively. Kind of like a symbiosis/work in tandem thing...there's a word for it but it escapes me.

Table sugar is sucrose (mostly).

Fruit sugar is fructose (mostly).

Human body runs off of glucose (human body can burn ketones) .

Glucose and fructose are more similar than fructose and sucrose....sucrose is both fructose and glucose bonded together:

1658423604149.png

1658423679005.png

I found chocolate Necco wafers work for me. Not much sugar and I can suck on two for a long time and satisfy my craving.
Necco Wafers? You like the candy that feels like dried spackling paste and tastes marginally better?

What are you, 85?

(just teasing, haven't tasted them in like 40 yrs)

I don’t understand people who don’t like them
A co-worker (hi, Irma) doesn't like them.

When I expressed surprise at this, she explained that as a kid her older sister and brother told her the guac on the table was baby poop and ever since has that association.

When I said that maybe she should try it again she declined. It puzzles me that she has been held hostage to a childhood memory, but, well, whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and Ifallalot

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Man, America is being held hostage to our collective "memory," in quotes because many many people pine for a day that was before they were born. Nostalgia is a disease.
What's with you and nostalgia? I love nostalgia. I love that song "Moonlight Serenade" by Glenn Miller because of the nostalgic vibe. My mom told me it was nostalgic when it first came out.

Oh, and I only like chocolate Necco.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Man, America is being held hostage to our collective "memory," in quotes because many many people pine for a day that was before they were born. Nostalgia is a disease.
This is what happens when you live in a declining empire

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Came up in the heart health thread.

Discuss-

ps I realize this guy is selling something, but does what he say have merit?

Your source throws up a lot of extremist anti-carb views to argue against ....the strawman argument. The problem is with "sugar", meaning sweet sugar which contains fructose. Dr. Robert Lustig is the definitive source on the problems with fructose.

If it tastes sweet then it likely contains fructose.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
When I was 19 I worked at a higher end, for that time, candy and nut shop at the mall
i was a pretty constant pot smoker at the time
we were allowed to eat as much of anything while we worked
holy f*ck, i Ate a few lifetimes worth of sugar every week
White chocolate covered pretzels or sesame mix i was being healthy for dinner
then sweedish fish type stuff for dessert
with a bunch of chocolate covered stuff and a fair amount of fudge throuhout the shift

somehow didn’t gain much weight, and iirc stayed within my reasonable range for my weight

my favorite job ever

Reactions: Mr Doof
Jun 27, 2022
BCS
Sugar is everywhere, hiding in all sorts of canned, bottled & process foods.

We grew up on PBJ white bread sandwiches. Mostly because we were blue collar and feeding four kids on a limited budget.

i have been hooked on sugar my whole life. In the past 6 months I’ve stopped all process sugars and only get natural from fruits, mostly eating berries, citrus, pineapple & watermelon.

I also eliminated nightshades and wheat/flour.

I have lost 40 lbs, sleeping much better, blood pressure down to 100/58 and no more arthritis symptoms/pain. Pretty stoked to continue down this path and feeling great.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
When I was 19 I worked at a higher end, for that time, candy and nut shop at the mall
i was a pretty constant pot smoker at the time
we were allowed to eat as much of anything while we worked
holy f*ck, i Ate a few lifetimes worth of sugar every week
White chocolate covered pretzels or sesame mix i was being healthy for dinner
then sweedish fish type stuff for dessert
with a bunch of chocolate covered stuff and a fair amount of fudge throuhout the shift

somehow didn’t gain much weight, and iirc stayed within my reasonable range for my weight

my favorite job ever

Yeah, all well and good, but we're going to blame your (sucrose) sugar intake from your teenage years because it was a defining step on the path that led you down the road to your untimely death.;)

Reactions: Random Guy