Sugar

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I am extremely skeptical of BMI results as an indicator of health because it doesn't distinguish heavier muscle tissue from lighter fat tissue. I'm 5'9", 167 - according to BMI, I'm borderline overweight. In reality, I have a 32 inch waistline and a fair amount of muscle for my age, and very little extra on my frame. If I'm oversimplifying this, someone please enlighten me.
I’m not an expert by any means, but you are in the normal, healthy range. Congrats! Would you agree that if you weighed 190-200 lbs.(borderline obese), that it might be time to take action and consider lifestyle modifications? I would think anyone in the obese range would be at high risk for health pathologies.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I’m not an expert by any means, but you are in the normal, healthy range. Congrats! Would you agree that if you weighed 190-200 lbs.(borderline obese), that it might be time to take action and consider lifestyle modifications? I would think anyone in the obese range would be at high risk for health pathologies.
oh, i agree completely. i put on a few pounds every winter and take action as soon as i go over 170 lbs. i just think the BMI calculation is a over-simplification of health/fitness since it does not factor in body fat%.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
The issue with restaurants isn't the quality of food buy the quantity and calorie density. The restaurant isn't going to send you away hungry and the customer wants good-tasting food. This means giving the customer plenty of food cooked with sugar and butter. Often you're getting 1500 calories in a single meal which is most of what a sedentary American needs in a day.
I find most restaurant food gag worthy.
Learning how to cook is so important to eating healthy IMO. & in US we’re also so removed from where our food comes from, how it’s processed etc - also a bad thing.

This new “plant based“ overprocessed garbage “food“ fad is a fckin joke.

Whats wrong w butter?
fat makes you feel full/satiated - more, rather than restricted would prob be a really good thing in a society that over eats.

low fat high fructose garbage being passed off as food is the work of the devil!

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Those doner kebabs
Learning how to cook is so important to eating healthy IMO. & in US we’re also so removed from where our food comes from, how it’s processed etc - also a bad thing.

Whats wrong w butter?
fat makes you feel full/satiated - more, rather than restricted would prob be a really good thing in a society that over eats.
Nothing's wrong with butter if you have a physical job that requires higher calories. If you were laying railroad track in the 1800s, you'd probably need to eat tons of it to keep weight on. The problem nowadays is that it's high in calories and we're sedentary.

I agree about most restaurant food. My wife is a great cook. Great meals can be made in the Instapot. I've started brewing my own booze too.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I wouldn't eat any "creamy" sauce at an Italian restaurant. That's not Italian AFAIK, it's Italian-American (Alfredo is not Italian). Cacio e Pepe *may* have some butter, but that's about it. Or maybe truffle-butter (not that kind you sickos) with ravioli or agnolotti.

Not sure how far east you are willing to go but off the top of my head, westside-ish:

*Pizzana (Brentwood)
*Milo & Olive (Santa Monica)
*Double Zero (Venice)
Eataly (Century City)
Jon & Vinny's (Brentwood)
North Italia (Santa Monica)
*Roberta's (Culver City)
Felix (Venice/SM)
*Nerano (Beverly Hills)

*=Favorites

If you get to Hollywood ever, L'Antica Pizzeria Da Michele is the best pizza in LA, IMHO. The owners are from Naples area. It's fucking great.

Don't now anything about Italian in South Bay, sorry.
Thanks for the list.

In Italy, or at least Northern Italy, they use a lot of cooking cream- "panna," which you can't really find here. Some of my favorite pastas are "white" sauce (though not using butter)- aglio/olio (garlic and oil). When I first had this I thoght they were going to come around with the sauce at some point but then saw they were already eating. Spaghetti alle vongole (clams), carbonara (pancetta and eggs). The sauceswith panna I remember are with salmon, asparagus, spinach, mushrooms....

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
oh, i agree completely. i put on a few pounds every winter and take action as soon as i go over 170 lbs. i just think the BMI calculation is a over-simplification of health/fitness since it does not factor in body fat%.
Most places that use BMI also hace small print right after saying that it's just an indicator, and that where you carry the body fat is equally important.

Preferably, not around the mid-section is my understanding.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Whats wrong w butter?

low fat high fructose garbage being passed off as food is the work of the devil!
I don’t disagree.

The problem with excess butter or any fats is they are calorie dense (9 calories/gram). So anything smothered or dunked in oil, even if it’s healthier oils, adds up.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Thanks for the list.

In Italy, or at least Northern Italy, they use a lot of cooking cream- "panna," which you can't really find here. Some of my favorite pastas are "white" sauce (though not using butter)- aglio/olio (garlic and oil). When I first had this I thoght they were going to come around with the sauce at some point but then saw they were already eating. Spaghetti alle vongole (clams), carbonara (pancetta and eggs). The sauceswith panna I remember are with salmon, asparagus, spinach, mushrooms....
The issue I have with creamy dishes is the way they smother and dull your pallet. The first few bites taste great, then as you keep going you taste everything less and less.

Great chefs understand this and counterbalance with more textures, layers and flavor elements by using herbs, spices, chilis, bread crumbs etc but in general your average American restaurant does not. Because of that I generally avoid them.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
The BMI is such a joke. I’m 5’8” n fighting weight for me was 175 as a young man, I’d be in the hospital because I was sick if I met the BMI. Everyone‘s bodies are so different. Body fat % def a much better indicator.

Reactions: sussle

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I don’t disagree.

The problem with excess butter or any fats is they are calorie dense (9 calories/gram). So anything smothered or dunked in oil, even if it’s healthier oils, adds up.
Right, over indulging adds up quick. - I get full from a couple mouthfuls of something like that - and end up tapping out of the rest of my meal.

For me - lots a protein, veg, enough fat to make me feel full N hardly any carbs like pasta, bread rice etc, no sugary sauce. Everyones requirements are a bit different and if all one does is eat out/processed “food”/prepared meals - then it becomes really hard to get an understanding of what your own body needs and what it doesn’t.

Reactions: grapedrink

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Besides the obvious ill effects on the body, sugar produces the same kind of binging effect that happens when I drink alcohol.

I can't drink one beer, I can't eat one cookie

Its a me problem
Ah, yeah, I kinda feel the same way
once I start, I just want more
but it’s only with sugar, not alcohol
alcohol is not my drug of choice

Reactions: Ifallalot

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Beer is easy for me. One is fine. Two is more than enough. Three and I’m bloated. Also I switched to non alcoholic beer. At first it was vile but I got used to it. Clausthaler at Trader Joes.

Sugar? You ever start eating jelly bellies? Keep those away from me.

I found chocolate Necco wafers work for me. Not much sugar and I can suck on two for a long time and satisfy my craving.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I am extremely skeptical of BMI results as an indicator of health because it doesn't distinguish heavier muscle tissue from lighter fat tissue. I'm 5'9", 167 - according to BMI, I'm borderline overweight. In reality, I have a 32 inch waistline and a fair amount of muscle for my age, and very little extra on my frame. If I'm oversimplifying this, someone please enlighten me.
I would say at 167 you also have very little muscle on your frame. (kidding:toilet:).

BMI is just a tool in the toolbox along with weight and waist circumference and general disposition.

I'm 5-9 and close to 200# with visible abs and fairly vascular all over. I am carrying a bit too much visceral fat during some times of the year which I am focusing on removing year round just due to how terribly unhealthy it is. My goal is somewhere around 190 which will have me looking fairly on the lean side but still morbidly obese on the BMI scale. Look up Dr Austin Baraki on instagram. He would be considered obese according to the BMI.

Last edited: