Stupid surf products confession time: did you, or anyone you know ever buy one of these? LOL...

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
WTF!? Inventor was a guy named Tom Carroll from Del Mar, this thing was his first invention, and he now owns a major bike light company...

EDIT: Holy sh!t, just realized after seeing a photo I'm pretty sure I met this guy a few months back - mostly a kitesurfer and cyclist these days I think?

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I hated when I surf at sunset and then it got dark and my friend goes in and I'm sitting in the dark waiting for a wave.

Spooky

Sep 18, 2016
Oddly enough...Around 90/91 Sunny G and I were asked to test these out one night in the cove at Rincon while someone tried to film. From what I can remember, everything felt heavy and cumbersome, especially the battery belt ...Also remember realizing how much you actually look around outside of where your head is pointing as you couldn't see shite other than the small area that the lights were pointed.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Oddly enough...Around 90/91 Sunny G and I were asked to test these out one night in the cove at Rincon while someone tried to film. From what I can remember, everything felt heavy and cumbersome, especially the battery belt ...Also remember realizing how much you actually look around outside of where your head is pointing as you couldn't see shite other than the small area that the lights were pointed.
I used to run overnight tuna fishing charters. We'd hang halogen lights in the outriggers. Really attracted the sharks sometimes.

• Wow
Reactions: PJ and keenfish

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
WTF!? Inventor was a guy named Tom Carroll from Del Mar, this thing was his first invention, and he now owns a major bike light company...

EDIT: Holy sh!t, just realized after seeing a photo I'm pretty sure I met this guy a few months back - mostly a kitesurfer and cyclist these days I think?
niterider are a pretty big deal to the mtb crowd. at least the locs I used to work with.

made for riding trails at night. this was back bedore LEDs took over the scene, however. no idea what is hot now.

Reactions: Joshua2415

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I have a long standing argument with a friend about something like this.

He wanted to put LEDs in the nose and rails of a surfboard so he could surf at night. I pointed out the obvious downsideof putting the lights in the board. Board isn’t always pointed where you’re looking, rails are mostly at or below the water line, etc. said to make a hood with an LED headlamp integrated (like camping headlamp) and now you have lights that are aimed wherever you turn your head and the ability to surf whatever board you’d like from your quiver instead of having a dumb gimmicky “night board”. He didn’t like that very much and gave up.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
A friend of mine has a more modern version so he can surf alone in the dark around Shell Beach. Says it's so bright, if you're getting barreled, the light reflecting off the inside of the wave can be blinding.

• Wow
Reactions: manbearpig

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Accessorizing is such an important part of the surf culture. It helps you identify whom you identify with. Surf Culture has always been the testing ground for the next big thing. It all starts with the Tshirt. Key chains, Key holders, wax combs all the unnecessary BS that one could otherwise use a generic substitute for but without the cool logo. Branding. What brand are you? Hippest Flips. Sunnies. Core stickers and GoPro. A core surfer would ever embarrass themselves by putting a surf sticker on their car. Yet branding is our subtle way of "Peacocking" to the inlanders.